SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Reality check

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  mdi 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I've been lurking here for a few years and I figured it was about time for a reality check as I find myself getting more and more enticed by the liveaboard lifestyle.

I've been sailing since I was a kid and absolutely love traveling. I'm 21 now, going into my 4th year of Uni. I'm doing a visiting researcher/study abroad program in Japan and will be here through the end of 2011. After that I'll be returning to Florida for a few more classes and then graduating. I really like the idea of living aboard and having the complete freedom to travel and would like to do this before I get tied down in a serious job.

I have 30k in savings from working through college and have been looking at prospective boats on yachtworld to see what's available. I think something in the 8-10m (28-32ft) range and around 10k best suits my needs. I'd be buying during the off-peak season with lots of haggling. The O'day strikes me as a good prospective, but I am slightly concerned over its blue water seaworthiness. Are boats in this size category suitable for Atlantic/Pacific crossings? I'd be starting off in the Gulf/Caribbean for a while, but eventually want to make my way over to Europe and Asia (and anywhere else I might get a job offer). I'm an engineer, so I'm not too worried about fixing up and making improvements to the boat as long as it has a solid hull. What are some other boats I should be looking at?

As far as my budget goes, after allocating for the initial boat cost and upgrades I'm planning for ~$1000/month of expenses with an additional emergency reserve fund. I'm going to try and do a rotation work cycle where I work for 3 months, take 3 months off etc.. so I should have effectively a zero net income for however long I decide to do this.

I often read on these forums that you guys wish you had started doing this at a younger age and I'm trying to take that advice :)

Thank you all for the help and let me know if you need any more information!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you! We didn't get started until we were in our early 50's (two years ago). It sounds like you have a good start, but watch out for any money you have in savings or in stocks. Silver is one of the better places to invest right now. At least that way inflation and any crashed won't eat up all that you saved.

#5 ·
IMO your on the right track, great time to "do-it"

Don't get hung up on "which boat" , do a little research on what has gone where and pick one that appeals to you.
Also don't go overboard (no pun intended!) on outfitting your new vessel with alot of "Stuff" and electronics you may find you won't use or need.
I would suggest you just assure the basic rig and get aboard, and as you begin your sailing adventure do a few short sails and spend some time aboard and you will quickly determine what you need to add or aquire and most likely what you need will be available w/out much searching, hence the initial intro sail(s) .
for example, buy boat on east coast USA. Sail coastal to Florida (or South if already in florida) towards Carib.(where you indicated you planned on going).
As you proceed south you will work out all/most basic boat issues and determine what you need for your own personal cruising style. Also, as you go you will meet others doing likewise and exchange experiences and ideas .
you'll find out quickly what your preferences are and if cruising is for you.

good luck, I did it this way and , it's definetely "for me"
Unfortunately , I decided to sail north last fall and allow myself to be "stuck" by the winter season and we miss being aboard and cruising, and are not enjoying the frozen north after 12-14 years ilower latitudes (oops).

#17 ·
..............for example, buy boat on east coast USA. Sail coastal to Florida (or South if already in florida) towards Carib.(where you indicated you planned on going).
As you proceed south you will work out all/most basic boat issues and determine what you need for your own personal cruising style. Also, as you go you will meet others doing likewise and exchange experiences and ideas .
you'll find out quickly what your preferences are and if cruising is for you.......
We moved aboard in our twenties with this "josthecobbler" plan. It made for an easy adaptation and is working for us.

#6 ·
Lots of good deals out there on all boats. Many in the 28-32 ft range here in Norfolk. I bought an Alberg 30 in sailable condition for 4800.00. I just completed a 200nm trip sailing 1/2 way and motoring 1/2 way. It does have a few issues but nothing to serious and it left me with lots of dough in the bank. When I do update and fix the issues it will be done my way and I can upgrade things to suit me. Good Luck

BTW I bought this boat with the intentions of living aboard and cruising in about 4-5 yrs from now. I due time she will take us to the Med.

#7 · (Edited)
Cruiser is right. The market us WAY in the buyer's favor. I see 40 footers in decent shape going for $35k and up. I saw a Formosa 51 footer that was in really good shape, but needed an engine, for $35k about two months ago.

If you're buying, it's your show. Look at as many as you can and pick the one that you want. The only things you really need to put before all else, are the engine, rigging/sales, and the soundness of the hull and rudder/steering. There are more important things, but your life depends on those the most.

#10 ·
Wow, you got through undergrad saving 30K? I owed 30 and ate ramen noodles everyday :) Now is the time. I'm an American that works in the U.S. and New Zealand 6 months each and 90% of the Americans I meet in NZ are recent grads that travel versus a coffee house gig that pays minimum wage. Now is the time.... good luck and I hope to be right behind ya... One thing that I've learned in my liveaboard research is... you get a whole lot more bang for the buck here in the States. The guy i crew for racing in NZ makes a good living captaining boats there from here. Buy American.

#11 ·
Check out the Classy classified ads at Latitude 38.com's website. there are always great slall boats for sale that will fit your needs perfectly. One there just now, can you find it? 21K....

#12 ·
Working in the USA IS ONE THING but you will find it hard to work outside the USA for short periods legally and even harder to find a job ANY JOB as most of the places you would visit are poor countries with high unemployment.

If I was in your position I would try and set up some kind of teleworking thing you could do on the internet regardless of location.

#13 ·
Albin Vega 27. One of John Vigor's "20 Small Boats to Take you Anywhere". Lots of information at the links below. One Vega is currently in the process of attempting a circumnavigation of the Americas - Northwest Passage and Cape Horn included. Several have circumnavigated. Many have crossed and re-crossed the Atlantic. The Vega is a true blue water cruiser, built to last in Sweden and they are dirt cheap.

(I am prejudiced, however, having lived aboard and cruised Vega #1860, "Lealea" for the last 22 years.)

By all means, go sooner rather than later. Most of us wish we had.

#20 ·
I have a crew of 3 including myself and can sually get by quite handily on about $500 a month cruising.
I was commenting last sunday after church to a couple of landlubbers that it is less costly for me to live aboard on the hook in warmer southern climates than it is to just pay the gas and electric bill for the winter months in NY !
and as a bonus I don't have to work 6 days a week while cruising !

#23 ·
No drinking, that's how you save money while going to school. My wife and I are in our twenties and we're moving aboard in a week and cruising. Our option was the urban lifestyle or cruising dreams. City life is way overpriced.

Good on you for choosing the path less taken, I'm sure it will make all the difference.

Advice: research and learn as much as you can about boats, and buy the most capable sailing boat for your budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.