Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Oh, forgot to mention. Cal 2-46 or peterson 44 would be excellent choices as well.
Old 04-16-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Just to give you more confidence that it can be done, here's a link to my neighbor's blog; she lives aboard a 44-ft catamaran with her husband and 6-year-old son and they just had a baby girl. On her right sidebar are links to other blogs from boats with kids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I would go bigger Somethig like a Morgan 461/2

Find one with a/c and a genny fitted as you are going to be in hot/humid conditions in summer.

EG http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=64991&url=
Old 04-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
When we bought Raven we had been boatless for maybe a decade. maybe more. What strikes me now is that a boat that I lusted after when I was a young bloke (our VDS 34) now feels a bit tight.

So I'm suggesting you need as mcuh space as you possibly can achieve and the fact that your previous boats felt good to you may not be a reliable guage.

If I was in your situation I'd be thinking that production is the way to go and ignoring questions of 'how strong is a Beneteau' or for that matter comparable production boats I'd reckon something of at least 40' would be required.

I too quite like the B393 but with three kids ? I know I would go insane(r).

Sailnet member 'MarkofSealife' has one. Mark, if you read this what do you think ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-17-2011

JB83 is on a distinguished road
keep it coming

Hi all,

My wife and I have been seroiusly looking at the Bene 440 and 445 we have found many that are quite nice. The Bene 393 looks great but is gonna run small I think. Havent looked much at Morgans but hear they are nice boats. I will look more into them. Keep it coming and I will let you know how the search is coming. Rich - what are reasons against Bene's if you don't mind? I want all points of view and really want to know if there is something I should pay careful attention to.

Thanks all.
Old 04-17-2011

JB83 is on a distinguished road
also

I am also looking into the CSYs as i have heard good things, will be looking at the gulfstar as well
Old 04-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Too cool JB; we've been living on our CSY 33 fulltime for 9 years now. Great boats, high quality for the time they were built and strong as tanks. Because of their age, the condition of the individual boats on the market now is all over the map - some are mint and others are, um, less than desirable, depending on how they were maintained. I assume you're looking at the 44?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-18-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
The Beneteaus are good boats and for marina manouverability that spade rudder is magic but it is also vulnerable. In the Bahamas a few years ago I remember visiting a boatyard engineer who had a large pile of bent and mangled spade rudders.

The CSY 44 and Morgan 461 / 462s were heavily built tanks for the charter business and both have skeg hung rudders. If you contemplate extended periods of living on the hook AND do not plan to have a watermaker then the CSY comes with 400 galls of water tankage. Water = luxury on a cruising boat.

When I was looking at first it was as part of a couple but my partner was not interested in learning to handle such a heavy boat so I downsized. The Morgans are significantly bigger than the CSY.

If I had bought a Morgan I would have converted the aft cabin to look like this with a center line queen. I would have removed the 3/4 bath and put a shower in the corner.
Old 04-18-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB83 View Post
Rich - what are reasons against Bene's if you don't mind? I want all points of view and really want to know if there is something I should pay careful attention to.
Personal Preferences -
The Bene's, to me, are not well 'set-up' for singlehanded sailing with most of the running gear terminated to the coach roof. That means that one has to physically leave the helm continually to adjust the main sail controls. I prefer 'end boom sheeting' which leaves all the critical sail controls in immediate and instant reach of the helmsman; mid boom sheeting winds up with most of the 'vital' controls on the coach roof, not a good idea in 'blammo' conditions.

The Bene's are relatively flat bottomed which significantly slams when in severe chop and steep waves, plus it gives the boat a 'fast' roll period, which to me is 'very tiring' on long passages (plus I power-puke on a snap roll boat). I prefer a slow-roller (slow roll period) or a more 'sea-kindly' boat. In comparison the overall 'motion comfort' is about 'half' of a specific traditional design 'open ocean' boat (Valiant, Tayana, Passport, Peterson, PSC, etc.).

Again (my preference), the cockpits are TOO LARGE for the open ocean. Imagine the weight aboard (stern squat) when you get a boarding wave over the stern on a Bene; plus, the bridge decks are too damn low (or non existent) which makes such a boat vulnerable to severe down-flooding.
Others have commented with regards spade rudders .... have to be VERY WELL designed to avoid serious sudden catastrophic and total FATIGUE failure.
As with most production boats there arent enough convenient and secure hand-holds inside and outside; getting thrown and slammed from on side of the interior hull to the other because there is little to hold onto is not my idea of a 'good time'.
The interior 'stowage' is usually at a bare minimum, sacrificed probably to yield 'open space' marketability ... good for a 'weekender' or short passages. (I will admit that for long distance cruising, I typically overload with stores and suffer the boat being well below its normal sailing waterline).

Although I havent back-calculated the rigging, seems to be only suitable for 'coastal' work, although the chainplate attachments are probably the most 'structurally brilliant' and simplistically elegant in the business. I have seen 2 Benes with failed rigging (dismasted) when used for long distance 'outside' cruising but dont know their actual history.
Again and without actual backcalculating, the apparent inbuilt Safety Factor (FS@ 2-2.5 instead of FS=3+ for serious offshore work) does not seem suitable for a long distance cruiser or passagemaker (I could be wrong in my 'guesstimate').
The (obsolete) capsize ratio on most Bene's will be in the range of ~2.0 ... not good for the open ocean in beyond boisterous conditions without keen constant attention of the helmsman.

Still such boats, to me, are a 'coastal' design and is quite suitable for 'island hopping', especially if set up with traditional slab and deep reefable mainsail.
Those with roller furling mains always seem to struggle mightily when going upwind in 'snot' conditions (because the resultant sail shape is toooooooo flat when furled beyond 30% sail reduction).

So, I deem such boats as very good 'island hoppers' which are able to divert to a convenient port to wait out the 'snotty stuff' .... a 'coastal design'. I see no problem in taking just about any Bene from Nwflnd all the way down to Trinidad. You just have to wait for the correct weather windows, I do that even in my "blue water" boat.

Old obsolete comparison data, but still a good 'go-by' for selection: Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats

;-)
Old 04-24-2011

EalyPA21 is on a distinguished road
The Beneteaus are great boats!