Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011

Wolff is on a distinguished road
Trying to jumpstart my research on picking a boat! :)

Hello, newbie here to sailing and what not but I've been doing some lurking and thought I would register to kind of jumpstart things with a few questions. I've got some of the basic info down and thought I'd form my questions around that.

So what I'm looking for is something I can live aboard, that's at least semi-minimalist perhaps in the 30-36' range, monohull, capable of sailing in calm waters but also taking longer trips say across the atlantic and pacific. My price range isn't that great but I've been looking at boats in the 5-15k range that are used. The kind of used boat that is in good sailing shape, but that I can fix it up to learn more about it as well, you know? Ideally it would be very self sustainable so I don't have to dock in a marina often, I'd rather stay off shore as much as I can to cut down on costs. I'm looking to live on roughly 1000-1500 a month and go on extended trips spending around 700 a month when not in my home city. This is based on a 12 month average since my goal is to sail around the world at some point. I'm planning to purchase this within a 6 months to a year and a half after saving.

Now I know what I'm looking for, I'm just not sure what kind of vessels would have all that kind of thing. I've been looking at some Norstars, catalinas, and hunters but I'm still really not sure on everything so I thought I'd turn to those more knowledgeable than myself. Hopefully I gave enough information.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and sails; that's what a ship needs. Not what a ship is. What the Black Pearl really is, is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Ditto!

Hi Wolff.

I am also researching boats, trying to narrow a huge list down to something manageable. I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable enough to make any specific reccommendations but I started by downloading a couple of different lists of boats that have been proven or are considered suitable for ocean passages. I then reviewed each boat, comparing it to my list of "must have", deciding whether or not I liked the looks, and discarding the boats that could not pass those two parameters.

It seems, in my case anyway, that almost all the boats that passed the test so far are heavy displacement boats. According to much of the references I've read concerning each, they tend to perform on the poor side in light winds but shrug off most heavy weather. I'm looking at something from 36' to 40' with a either a full or cruising keel with skeg mounted rudder. Here is my list so far.

Alajuela 38
Baba
Cabo Rico 36, 38
Cape Dory
Cape George Cutter 38
Hans Christian
Island Packet
(Mason 43)
Morris 38, 42
Pacific Seacraft 37
Panda 38
Passport 40
Shearwater 39
Southern Cross 39, 42
Tashiba
Ta Shing
Tayana 37
Valiant 37, 39, 42 Major blister problems on Valiant 40 hull numbers
116 250. No problems with any of the excellent Texas built boats.
Westsail 32, 42

Of course, like you probably are, I'm open to suggestions. Several of these boats are either rare finds or probably out of my price range but maybe my list will spur some ideas that will work for you. A search for recommended blue water boats may turn up more. I do suggest writing down a list of what features you require in a boat and where you plan to sail so you have well defined requirements to refer to.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-01-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
The 5-15k range will be hard to find in the 36 foot range. If you do find one it will probably need more work than what the boat will ever be worth. If you want to find a boat suitable for offshore work then that adds another hurdle. If you would drop down to a 27 foot boat I would go with a Tartan 27. They are fairly fast boat and are built heavy enough to sail offshore. They also tend to do better than most other small boats that are meant for offshore work. At the top end of your price range you mind find a Tartan 30.

I would make sure that "blue water" is something that you definitely want. You can find a very comfortable (liveaboard wise) Catalina 30 for that kind of money. Or any of twenty other brands Erickson, Hunter, Irwin, Benetuea, etc that will make a better liveaboard/coastal cruiser.
Old 05-02-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Consider an old Columbia 36. They're in your price range and they are proven in blue water passages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-02-2011

Hey, thanks for the advice, and the boat lists there guys. The Tartans are some that I actually did like there after a bit of research, but 27' is somewhat smaller than I was hoping for, still if the price is right of course haha.

I've never heard of Columbia boats, so more research to do! Thanks guys, this is a big help in getting me pointed in the right direction.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and sails; that's what a ship needs. Not what a ship is. What the Black Pearl really is, is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow.
Old 05-02-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
We have had, among other boats, two Columbias. Have a look-see at my Youtube and my blog for pictures and information.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
We have had, among other boats, two Columbias. Have a look-see at my Youtube and my blog for pictures and information.
Will do, and thanks again.