SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   How long. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/74763-how-long.html)

pistonbully 05-26-2011 03:45 AM

How long.

Just curios . How long till you plan to move aboard/leave to cruise with out a return date?
Or

How long ago did you move aboard / leave to cruise with out a return date? For those of you that answer this one.. Any regrets? I.E missing family?

I plan to move aboard/leave in 1 year.

wingNwing 05-26-2011 06:37 AM

Moved aboard Nov 2002. So far, cruises have always had a return date, partly for medical monitoring reasons, and partly because this is where I like to be. No regrets.

jmjatlanta 05-26-2011 04:09 PM

I'm probably jumping the gun here, as I've never been on a sailboat. But I can tell that there is a good chance I'm going to fall in love with it. Our week-long lessons start in less than 1 month, and we're excited. Wifey has done sailing trips before, but not me.

I see us moving aboard in 15 to 20 years (at retirement). I plan on sailing as much as possible until then. My expectations are that we'll do it until we don't want to, then move on. We may like it so much we don't return, but there is two of us, so we'll decide together.

We're too far away to plan it out right now, but it is on our list. We're constantly simplifying our life. So as it gets closer, we'll ease in to it.

tomperanteau 05-26-2011 11:23 PM

Let's see...

We've sold all our assets, gotten rid of the homestead, sold everything that was in storage, paid off the wife's car and all our debt, stocked the boat with probably 4-6 month's food and are in the process of preping her for an extended voyage (radar, backup systems, etc.), so we're not far away from casting off. We already live between the boat and the office, so not much of a stretch

Perhaps six to eight months or so. Time to close the smaller cases and finish the larger ones so that we can bring in some additional money for the kitty. Still working out a float plan, but it will definitely include sailing south and then west towards Bora Bora. We're going to explore all the atolls that we can find.

LauderBoy 05-27-2011 09:48 AM

Moved aboard last September. Right now I'm paying off the credit card and car, those will be done this summer. Then I just need solar for the boat and a small kitty. I'm aiming for this fall to take off for a few months, but that could slide into winter depending on how much I spend on the solar setup(may buy an arch).

pistonbully 05-27-2011 10:10 AM

Nice work guys.. I am enjoying the stories.

Tim R. 05-27-2011 11:57 AM

Moved aboard 9/2010 in Portland, Maine. Sold the house, one car and most everything else summer of 2010. Living debt free and saving for "the cruise" to start in 2-3 years.

I would highly recommend living on your newly acquired boat and coastal cruising from your home base for a minimum of one year to be sure you know the boat inside and out and all systems are up to snuff.

We purchased a pristine '97 model boat that was actively being cruised and I still work on it every weekend to learn all the systems and replace things I do not like. Part of this is just how I am. Always trying to improve things.

vagabondette 05-30-2011 09:32 AM

I've been traveling full time since late 2008 and plan to start doing it on water in early 2014.