Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003

rleslie is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

JB,

From your comments about the NC coast, it''s obvious that ya daddy shuda married his other cousin, his youngin mighta been brighter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

jwbernal,

It''s very disappointing to me to hear your impression of the people,and sailing areas along the NC coast.I was born and raised in NC and always felt that NC had a beautiful coast.Yes,a lot of the people that live in that area aren''t the Wall Street stock broker types,but they''re good people.They''re country folks and I''ve always considered them "real people." You can believe and trust them to the bitter end if you give in return.I believe if you''ll check it out,you''ll find that the snotty ones that you mentioned living in Southport,aren''t from NC.Most are transplants from other areas that have more money than sense.They move to NC because of the beauty,and then complain about this or that.A lot of them helped screw up the previous places they lived and then want to move South to implement their devine wisdom here.The only portion of the NC coast that I''ve sailed is around the Oriental-Outer Banks area.IMO,it''s one of the prettiest in the country.The lack of commercialization is an asset,not a deterent to cruising the area.Finding areas to "get away from it all" are becoming harder to find as the cruising domain becomes more restricted by politicians and commercial developers.The NC coast does have it''s problems as does many other states.As I mentioned previously in this post,water quality is a major concern.Hopefully,with constuctive comments posted here and else where,the public will become more aware of the problems and force the government representatives to do something about it.It wasn''t many years ago that the Chesapeake had become a disaster.With intervention,it has rebounded and is once again a premier waterway.IMO,we as sailors and lovers of the sea,should do everything we can to protect it, and promote awareness of concerns.By doing so,hopefully the next generation of sailors will still have great waterways to sail without a cesspool of development dumped into it. Fair winds to you!
Old 08-13-2003

Miss Tarah is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

I have to agree with Stede. I''ve sailed the NC coastline and the sounds and find it to be a wonderful sailing area. Not only is it beautiful but the lack of development is one of it''s greatest features. Every "native" I talked to was open and honest and just plain good people. I had a blast in Pamlico Sound and the Outer Banks not to mention a "sporty" ride from Norfolk to Oregon Inlet, which can be quite exciting in certain conditions! I hope to return soon and like Stede I hope the water quality issues will be addressed and we can all continue to enjoy NC.
Old 08-13-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
NC Locations

Oh, my you poor unhappy fellow...it does take a "snot" to know one. And you obviously have been hanging out with a crowd that is as snotty, unhappy and miserable as you are. You can find good and bad no matter where you are and you apparently don''t know how to look for the good. Also, "good" does not equate with "modern", "upscale" or any of the other terms that you use to describe what your needs are.
I have learned in life that you find what you seek, you get what you expect, and people treat you as they are treated by you.
So is North Carolina really the problem? Is there a mirror on your boat?
Old 08-13-2003

thomasstone is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

JWbernal, I like your style, but your prices for Wrightsville Beach are way off. I am from DC and have lived here(Wilmington) for about seven years. While the tractor types can be annoying so can the so called Im from the north types. I kept my boat in Carolina Beach ($180.00 month) 1/2 hour drive from Wilmington. It would cost me $320.00 for a marina in Wrightsville Beach. Right now I am on the hard re-fitting(Hampstead)$160.00month. When I splash I will be in Masonboro ($220.00month). All of these prices are easily half of what I used to pay for my DC marina. The main problem here is the bugs(no-see ums) and the people raised on tractors(I guess you dont need blinkers on a tractor) that dont use their blinkers when driving. -thomas
Old 08-15-2003

jwbernal is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

How quick you guys are to snap! I never said it wasn''t beautiful, I''m simply comparing it to other places I''ve seen and done. I live here in NC, and keep my boat in NC, and I like the backwoods and the rednecks just as much as you do. I''m just offering a report based on my experiences, because it was asked for in the original post. I am not going to butter it up and sugar-coat it with toothrotting political correctness.
Old 08-15-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
NC Locations

There is good and bad EVERYWHERE...You did two things wrong in my eyes...you only gave what you saw as bad...never giving the good along with it. And you were not objective...you were comparing. Your post made me think that you are a very negative person and negative people make me want to run in the opposite direction. I seldom hold their views as anything valid.

my two cents worth...
Old 08-15-2003

Sailmc is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

I must be living in a cave. I never knew WalMart was the pinnacle of Western civilization.
Old 08-15-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

Sailmc:
Are you equating American civilization with Western civilization?

Gord
Old 08-15-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

"JW" Bernal,

I think it''s great how you''ve learned to "like the backwoods and the rednecks" down there.I have to admit,some of their idiosyncrasies have always struck me as funny."JW", have you ever noticed how the really hard core rednecks like to be called by their first two intials.Isn''t that a hoot?ha!ha!ha!