Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

Ahoy ye scoundrels. dis ere Pirate be getting right testy about youse simple minded peace loving dandys. You should not live on a boat unless you are going somewhere and plan to use the vessel for something other than a coat rack. Your trendy solution to not being able to afforde housing in New York dosen''t excuse the simple fact that your plan has more uncomfortable holes in it than swiss cheese. Youse can get a nice motor home and avoid all the wet questions altogether, or better yet why don''t you look into a used plane you could move into at JFK. Pirate of Pine Island
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2003

liarsof is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

I am planning to cruise with my 33ft boat from the Black Sea to Germany via the Danube river (upstreams). Has anybody done it? even downstream. All input welcome trying to collect info, up to now very little available except to good books.
Old 01-20-2004

Jack7 is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

OK, so since I started this thread back in July, I thought it was time to report back. Before doing so, I invite the reader to read the entire thread including posts by a guy who''s nickname rhymes with thread and determine for yourself how much to believe, even if it''s written in ''faux-pirate''.

I moved to Long Island Sound, 1/2 hour from Manhattan on Labor Day weekend on my 35 foot Dufour. The last leg of the sail started in Stratford, CT. I set my waypoint for my new home harbor in Westchester County, NY and then looked at the horizon for something to steer towards. Off in the distance, was a spire...dead on course...it took about another 1/2 hour to realize that my heading was the Empire State Building! I have to admit that, even before 9/11, that site always made me smile...on this day, it evoked a chuckle.

After getting settled at the dock, I was able to secure phone service, DSL and cable. The question of heat still lingered. My next door neighbors (liveaboards with lots of experience and a 3 year old daughter) convinced me to buy a Monitor kerosene heater (Model 422 - 20,000 BTUs) and I installed a gravity feed line with fuel filter from a 9 gallon tank mounted on deck. I also bought a 1500 watt inverter so as to have heat in the event of a power outage...impossible with electric heat. In November I had only the cockpit shrink wrapped (to give me a ''Florida Room'' as ''Big Thread'' would call it) and a place to take off wet shoes.

Based on the recommendation of one of the replies in this thread, I installed a Lectra/San head system and am delighted with it. I''ve bought some of their odor treatment (you have to be careful what you add due to hyrdrochloric acid) and it has been odor and trouble free. Due to the relatively low salinity of Long Island Sound and the low salt content of cold water, I''ve been adding a jigger of salt (aaaaaarrrrrgh, Jimmy Buffett...I''ve got it here in the REAL paradise) to every 3rd or 4th flush following the ''if it''s mellow, let it yellow....'' rubric.

The heater works mostly at 25% capacity (right now for example and it''s 26 degrees out) since it''s more than adequate and the shrink-wrapped cockpit gets up to 70 degrees easily even when it''s 20 degrees outside.

Since moving here we''ve had the remnants of Hurricane Isobel, a storm with gale force winds, numerous days with temperatures hovering around 0 degrees, a couple of snow storms and I love it!!!!

I love New Yorkers...yeah, I know their reputation, but, from the experience of guy who grew up in a small town and felt part of a community there, I have to tell you that New Yorkers are a special breed...kind, open, smart, willing to help and funny. I have NEVER been treated this well anywhere I''ve lived...including Florida aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh.

If I had to do it over again, I would''ve bought a boat with standing room in the V-berth and Aft-berth. I''ve set up my bunk in the main salon and it''s become a giant sofa during the day for reading, doing client calls and, at night, time to catch up on my Tivo-ed programs.

My next major challenge is to begin organizing and securing my ''stuff'' to be able to sail without having to do hours of work to secure my home/office items.

If anyone is considering living aboard in a cold climate, I''d offer this advice:

1) Make sure you don''t try it alone...neighbors make the process so much easier...everyone helps everyone else and the griping about having to fill the water tanks when it''s snowing and 0 degrees turns into an excuse to get together for dinner later.

2) Heat. ''nuf said. I wouldn''t go with electric due to the cost and the difficulty in getting the space warm and dry and the risk of a power outage. The Monitor kerosene heater is efficient, inexpensive to operate, no fumes, very little risk - you can put a match to kerosene and nothing will happen...other than people running away from you as if you''re crazy.

3) Smile...it''ll be an adventure

4) Ignore pirates...they have waaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands...probably the result of not spending time reading their voter instructions during the last presidential elections...Hullo...it''s a card with names on it and you punch out the chad next to the name you like...geesh.

Be well,

Jack
Old 02-02-2004

slimqs is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

Just wondering, what is the cost per month of your slip in NY? Also what is cost of electric and phone and internet?? Thanks
Old 02-03-2004

eryka32 is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

Thanx for the followup, Jack, and glad you''re having fun! We DO know what you mean about taking hours to get ready to sail. I wonder if this is a special burden for those who work from ''home'' and/or have land jobs requiring dress-up clothes? A dear friend, liveaboard for almost 20 years, says if he''s not ready to sail in 15 minutes notice, anytime, he''s not doing it right. Of course, he doesn''t live in a marina in an East Coast winter ... it takes, it seems, 15 minutes just to disconnect and stow the Big Yellow Cord and the landline (*smile*).

How are you doing with condensation? Our boat was not made for this climate, everything we can reach spends the winter with silver bubblewrap ("Reflectix" from Home Depot) taped over ... prompting a friend to dub us "The couple who sees everything with a silver lining."

Eryka, liveaboard Washington bureaucrat
eryka32@mail.com
Old 02-18-2004

About To Do It Questions

Slip is rented in 6 months increments. Off-season is $45/foot and on-season is $95/foot. There are cheaper alternatives, but not by much. Electric is 20cents/kwhr...which is one of the reasons I chose kerosene...which is by far the best choice for me.
Old 02-19-2004

BradCoy is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

Sorry, but what are your slip fees- $4.50 & $9.50? Does anyone in the DC area use wireless internet? How''s it work?
Old 02-23-2004

About To Do It Questions

Take the length of your boat, multiply by $45, and that''s the cost for a total of 6 winter months (divide by 6 to get your monthly rate); similarly, multiply the length x $95 to get the total slip fee for 6 summer months.

I use wireless internet on the boat primarily so that I can access the internet from across the channel at the pool (about 150 feet); I added a ''pringles can'' antenna to get greater range.
Old 02-26-2004

dirtchickn is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

I had 2 ideas to answer 2 other questions you asked early on in the posting. The first is about a fitting for pressure water at dock side. The answer is a Jabsco 44410-1000 pressure regulator (about $25 at Boatersworld.com). It allows for the attachment of a hose and installs in the freshwater system after the pressure pump. All you need are a "t" and a shutoff to seperate the 2 incoming water sources (the pressure pump and the new "dock" pressure water. It does require drilling a hole in the hull somewhere, but that''s part of the adventure. The second helpful tidbit is for the condensation. My boat is in North Carolina and we have the most humidity of any place on the planet. We bought a dehumidifer from Home Depot for about $125 and it keeps the boat dry. No moisture problems when it''s closed up, but there is an ongoing electrical cost. Drain the hose into the bilge, or a 5 gallon bucket in a cockpit locker, or down the head sink.