Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Now approach management and be ready to pay a year ahead, plus a 50% premium over rate sheet $$. Even more of a premium for power.
Yowsers, I haven't experienced it like this in Florida. Around Ft Myers there's Liveaboard Marina North Fort Myers Florida which has very reasonable rates. I've seen another marina in the Cape Haze area that was pricier, but still around $14-15 a foot. Not insane prices and they were very friendly.

I agree, a 50ft boat though might be pretty hard to find slips for though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
Ohh yeah, is there anyone who has or currently lives aboard at one of these Marinas? If so how is or was the expierance.

Twin Dolphin Marina's

Regatta Point Marina's
We lived at Twin Dolphin for a year, and loved it. The marina was taken well care of and had a lot to offer. We left because the rates kept going up, but that was before the huge economic downturn, and the last I heard they have dropped their rates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Wow, that's an oldy. Suspiciously cheap i'd say so. I wonder how many coats of paint are on that. Interesting layout for a Trawler, especially the second to last photo in the storm. I wonder how much ware and tare that old girl has on her. Thanks for the responce, I would like to find a fly bridge yacht. I will keep a 40 + footer in mind. Right now i want to make dure all my ducks are in a row before I try to light the world on fire.
Old 06-03-2011

As I research more slips it might be hard to find a slip for 50 + feet. Most are taken, in Sarasota Marina Jacks is about $15 a foot. But your not supposed to be living a board full time. Hey Remetau, do you still live aboard? The idea is to stay close to my kids. Fort Myers, I may look into that thoe. I'll research any and everything. I wonder how hard it would be to live aboard, without a slip?
Old 06-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to live aboard, without a slip?
People do this. Usually it's a mooring though there are some spots that support liveaboarding at anchor fairly well(you can pay for a dingy dock and parking space). See The City of Marathon FL - Official Website - Anchorage & Dinghy Dockage for an example.

The tricky parts are supplying your vessel with power away from shore. Filling your fresh water tanks. Having a place to park your car/dingy. Getting your holding tank pumped out. Handling long range wifi signals, etc etc.
Old 06-04-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Wow, whoever built that boat hates wood!
I suspect that the owner hated varnish rather than wood.

Looks like lots of white painted wood to me. Makes a brighter interior IMHO.
Old 06-04-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
My solution to this was living at an anchorage in the intercoastal and paying a dinghy fee at a marina right around the corner. Saved alot of money and did most of my water filling and pump outs in the evenings when I needed to. Liveaboards are frowned on in general in south Florida, yet most liveaboards know that the cost of living aboard can far exceed land living at times.
Old 06-04-2011

Lauderboy, good point on that, what do they charge for dropping anchor in an area like that.

SuenosAzules. My solution to this was living at an anchorage in the intercoastal and paying a dinghy fee at a marina right around the corner

What are average fees for living aboard in those instants. I guess I could get a hold of a dock master and find out. Could you live off solar panels and where are you going to get fresh water if you don't have a slip. Would that be considered hard living? Are there fines if your caught dumping your poop tank in the water somewhere eles then where you reside?

Last edited by dropanchorfor3; 06-04-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2011

For the Marathon marina it's $135 a month which includes the showers, dingy dock, parking space and 1 pump out a week.

There are fines for dumping waste overboard. Expect the coast guard to give you surprise inspections and if your holding tank system isn't setup to prevent overboard discharge, you'll get a hefty fine.

Whether or not you can live off of solar really depends on what your electrical needs are. Ditto with the "hard living" bit. Some people are happy sitting back in their cockpit reading their Kindle drinking warm beer. Others want a full sized fridge with ice maker and a large HDTV they can watch 10 hours a day. Both lifestyles are supportable.

You're really putting the cart before the horse with the 50ft yacht idea. You really need to lay out what your goals are, what's the lifestyle you want, and pick the right boat for that. Boats are purpose built. You don't just buy a boat and try to jam it into your lifestyle. You buy the boat that fits the lifestyle you want to live.

You'd probably be much better off just putting together a list of "this is what I want to do, how I want to live while aboard, what my budget is" and posting that. The people here all have a lot of experience on the water and would be able to steer you towards the right boat and setup which would meet those goals.
Old 06-05-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
With keeping the boat in an anchorage in Florida, in state waters it is free, however with a dinghy dock you will have to swing your own deal with a marina that will allow it. I paid $200.00 a month where I was at. I have written an article on my website about all of this (living aboard and my living expenses, etc..) Just go to suenosazules dot com and click on "living aboard" on the navigation bar to the far left. I wrote of my experieinces and what worked and what did not work. Good luck..