Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Yacht living, etc...

Here's my thought, living in SW, Fl I would like to know where there are slips available to live aboard on. I am more or less familiar with a couple of these that are live able year around. I am in the researching stages. I would like to own a yacht of 50-60 feet some where in that range.
I know this is a forum for sailing and what not but does anyone have some info that could help get me started. Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the cruising and liveaboard forum. You must have quite a large budget to buy a 50-60 ft boat and pay for that size boat slip. Good for you. You can research cruisersnet.net for marinas.
Old 06-01-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
finding a marina that allows liveaboards has gotten to be quite a challenge. Read the rate sheets, visit the marinas you may be interested in. Let them know what type and condition of boat you are going to be living aboard...they will be quite interested in this, as they do not want bad looking wrecks.

Walk the docks and ask around before you approach management, it is better to be informed and most folks are willing to talk with you. Visit those marinas you are more interested in and make sure the culture is what you expect...drink all night, every night? Party Pier, noise from shore, wave action, wind, distance to bath house, etc, etc?

Now approach management and be ready to pay a year ahead, plus a 50% premium over rate sheet $$. Even more of a premium for power.

Best of luck and look at your length requirements, those lengths move you up in price exponentially and will make you too large for a lot of marinas, or at least way out on the dock.

At least you will not have to shovel snow, or spread salt for ice.
Old 06-01-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
You might want to review the Twin Dolphin Marina's & the Regatta Point Marina's web sites. Both of these are in the Manatee County area. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 06-01-2011

Let me start off by saying, rich I am not. This will be a challenge but I will prevail. Just for the heck of it I got prices at Long Boat Key Yacht Harbor, and $20 a foot + elect+ sales tax and $100 a month just to be there. I did the math. I would like to ask this question for those that know Marina Jacks in Sarasota. There are a fair amount of sail boats that tie up to a marker" what is the correct name" what kind of fees do they pay and where do those funds go.
Thanks for the responses this all so very helpful. I am kind of new and getting more familiarized with the boating experience.
Old 06-01-2011

Ohh yeah, is there anyone who has or currently lives aboard at one of these Marinas? If so how is or was the expierance.

Twin Dolphin Marina's

Regatta Point Marina's
Old 06-02-2011

limeyrock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would like to own a yacht of 50-60 feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
Let me start off by saying, rich I am not.
:

I think you might want to seriously adjust your expectations. Running costs of a boat don't scale up with boat length, they scale up square to boat length.

Start by reading this thread.

A boat beyond your means quickly turns into an anchor dragging you towards bankruptcy.
Old 06-02-2011

I completely agree with that. That is why I am asking questions before I do anything. I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row. I know boats/ yachts are expensive. But this is something of a passion of mine. If scaling down is what I do then that's what I do.
But for now, I will be asking a lot of questions. I've been aboard a 56 foot Hatteras and it was beautiful. It was a 1990 and needed some little work but comparing that one to the price of something newer is a lot more expensive. It will come down to what makes the best sence for me and my needs.
So for now I am asking questions, thanks for responding...
Old 06-03-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
In your position I would look at something around 40 feet 0r a tad less and a trawler. If you are a single or a couple you do not need anything bigger.

However if you are set on a 50-60 foot boat then check this out.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1930&url=

I came across it by accident and if I was looking for a big liveaboard motorboat at a resonable price then ith would be high on my list. However it is suspiciously cheap!
Old 06-03-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
However if you are set on a 50-60 foot boat then check this out.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1930&url=
Wow, whoever built that boat hates wood!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------