Vacuum cleaners?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 06-25-2011

Love my Hoover Lynx. It is rechargeable battery powered, cordless. There's a small upright and a hand vac.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 06-25-2011
Courtney the Dancer

DeWalt 18v rechargeable. Works well, batteries are expensive, fairly small dust bin, compact. I use it several times a day for quick clean ups and it works better than the broom for dog hair. Charging the batteries consumes a fair bit of amps so unless you have adequate solar or shore power this may not be for you.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #13 of 25 Old 06-25-2011

We have a couple of these Husky 2.5 ga. wet/dry vacs

that we picked up at Home Depot about a year apart. First one was for use on Abracadabra, second for stashing at my buddy's house where we slipped Shazaam!, our little stinkboat, her first season. I can't find it on-line at HD, now, so maybe they discontinued them. Too bad, because they were inexpensive and work quite well.

I see WalMart apparently carries the Stanley 12VDC mentioned in this thread for $25 US. May snag one and see how it does. We're slowly working toward getting Abracadabra cruise-ready. Replacing the 125VAC wet/dry vac with a 12VDC model would make sense.

If it doesn't work out well: Take it back. If it does: I'm sure we can sell one of the two Husky 125VAC ones. They look brand-new and work like a champ. (Just have to recover all the wand-end accessories from wherever they got to under the v-berth .)

One of the handiest uses I've found for the little Husky vac on Abracadabra is vacuuming-up all the spider webs that appear between visits. Works surprisingly well for that.

Jim
post #14 of 25 Old 06-25-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Bought the cheapest smallest shop vac from Walmart.

Its still working. If you have a power sander or saw it is worth getting the set up that allows for dust extraction.

Get extra filters but don't despair if you don't have any. Ten minutes with gaffer tape and kitchen roll or foam and you are good to go.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-25-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Yes, that's what we have. Excellent vacuum. We used it all day today cleaning, turning the inverter on when needed. Just so you know, the Victron battery monitor says it draws 41 amps through the inverter. That little vac is powerful.

I recently invested in a set of attachments for it. I also use it for emptying rainwater out of the bilge. (Take the filter out before using it as a wet vac.)

Regards,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
We have a couple of these Husky 2.5 ga. wet/dry vacs

that we picked up at Home Depot about a year apart. First one was for use on Abracadabra, second for stashing at my buddy's house where we slipped Shazaam!, our little stinkboat, her first season. I can't find it on-line at HD, now, so maybe they discontinued them. Too bad, because they were inexpensive and work quite well.

I see WalMart apparently carries the Stanley 12VDC mentioned in this thread for $25 US. May snag one and see how it does. We're slowly working toward getting Abracadabra cruise-ready. Replacing the 125VAC wet/dry vac with a 12VDC model would make sense.

If it doesn't work out well: Take it back. If it does: I'm sure we can sell one of the two Husky 125VAC ones. They look brand-new and work like a champ. (Just have to recover all the wand-end accessories from wherever they got to under the v-berth .)

One of the handiest uses I've found for the little Husky vac on Abracadabra is vacuuming-up all the spider webs that appear between visits. Works surprisingly well for that.

Jim

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #16 of 25 Old 06-28-2011

I was recently looking for a new vacuum cleaner and happened to find some really useful information on vacuum cleaners. I had previously bought a Dyson which which was excellent and compatible for abroad as it is a global brand
post #17 of 25 Old 06-28-2011

Heard the Dyson DC24 Animal is excellent. Very reliable and as I have 2 dogs it works a treat and so much better than your average vacuum cleaner
post #18 of 25 Old 06-28-2011

Saying that I recently found some very useful information on vacuum cleaners that you may find interesting. Actually answers most questions that you would be likely to want know. Also provides a lot of information on the different specifications of vacuum cleaners. Have a look and see what you think The Domestic Guide | Your Guide to Domestic Appliances
post #19 of 25 Old 06-28-2011
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Malpka,
I've sent you a PM.
tdw

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #20 of 25 Old 06-28-2011
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Malpka,
I've sent you a PM.
tdw
Save your electrons, Fuzzy. I think he's a bot.

Never forget them. Do something to prevent it from happening again.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.