Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Sailing is freedom. It isn't entirely avoiding the expense of fuel, it's avoiding the need to find fuel. Freedom. I also have a redundant propulsion system. Sail and motor.

I highly recommend the Colgate Offshore Sailing School. They have many locations, with one nearby in Fort Myers.

Sailing School Locations - Sailing Schools | Offshore Sailing School

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Let me try to hit just a few of your questions:
Into the wind means what it implies, just like walking with the wind blowing in your face. Only sailboats won't go straight into the wind, so it's more like walking with the wind blowing in one eye.
Off the wind is like walking with the wind blowing on your back, or over one shoulder or the other.
Have you ever seen anybody take off from a dead stop in a ski boat? When he starts his boat is "displacing" water, that is, sitting down in the water. He gives it the gas, the boat squats down in back, then it rises up flat on top of the water. That's loaning.
most (almost all) sailboats can't plane. They sit down in the water where they "displace" an amount of water equal in weight to the boat. Under those circumstances the maximum speed of the boat is strictly limited by the boat's length.
Let me recommend The Nature Of Boats, by Dave Gerr. I think Amazon has it. You can't learn more in less reading anywhere else IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 06-12-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: stupid smartphone corrected my word.
Old 06-12-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Makes sence, the longer the hull the faster and vise versa. What about a catamaran do they act just like sailboats even thoe there wider?
Old 06-12-2011

Minnewaska

Thanks for that info it's helping as we speak...
Old 06-12-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Edit: the word "loaning" was inserted by my (allegedly) smart phone. Should have been "planing".

Just because I like it.
Old 06-13-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Sailboat or motorboat?

The answer to your question relates in a greater part to your psyche that is your how your mind functions as the center of thought, emotion, and behavior and consciously or unconsciously mediates the body's responses to the social and physical environment.

Some people go nuts on a sailboat as they perceive it as slow.

Others like me go nuts on a motorboat thinking about all the earths finite resources being used up [ ok and the cost! ] plus the noise and wake etc.

For some being on a mobo is a means of getting to a desired destination for others when you are onboard a sailboat you are already there.
Old 06-13-2011

That makes sence, I found a captain of a 42 ' Catamaran sailboat in town that is going to take my gf and me out on a sunset ride. I think I'll get bit once were on it.
Another thing, I found a captain that will give sailing lessons for 3 days at about $500 bucks. I will learn the language of sailing and sailing 101. I think this is a good step. I also researched the Colgate sailing school in Fort Myers and the one in St. Pete. They are really expensive, and I would prefer 1 on 1 lessons. I am still wondering why some choose a catamaran over a single hull sailboat.
They must not rock as much and look to be a bit more roomier? Thanks to all for responding and I love all the pictures on here to. Maybe I can get my gf into this too.
Old 06-13-2011
Both ends are pointy.

If your gf takes the bait maybe you can send some instructions for convincing my wife.

Just because I like it.
Old 06-13-2011

LOL,
Old 06-13-2011

As I watch an orientation on a catamaran sail boat on youtube, I understand why people have them, they have a bit more room and more stable but more expensive then your average sailboat. I'm starting to like these catamaran's, they look good in the water and some of the late 80's to 90's vessels aren't that expensive.
At least for around a 30-40 footer. What do you all think...
Oh and why do you drag the dingy and not have it tied up on the boat?

Last edited by dropanchorfor3; 06-13-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.