Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
As I watch an orientation on a catamaran sail boat on youtube, I understand why people have them, they have a bit more room and more stable but more expensive then your average sailboat. I'm starting to like these catamaran's, they look good in the water and some of the late 80's to 90's vessels aren't that expensive.
At least for around a 30-40 footer. What do you all think...
Oh and why do you drag the dingy and not have it tied up on the boat?
Cats are great and if I could have afforded one I would have given it some consideration BUT they start to make sense around 44 feet, less than that they tend not to sail well if there is any chop esp. if weighed down with the usual cruising load. A popular 35 foot cat has 25 galls water eek!

If you have a cat there davits make it easy to lift the dink. On passage I like mine on the foredeck and it is ALWAYS there if I regard the passage as offshore. This can be as short as the 7 mile hop from Bequia to St Vincent. As it takes about 3/4 hour to derig the o/b and hoist everything on board if it is a sail in protected waters I tow it. Net gain in time and less expenditure of energy.

N.B. It is noticeable that these are getting popular in the charter fleets.

From Hoot Mon

Why bother with the flappy stuff at all as many cat charters seem to motor everywhere even with the sails up!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Some of the language you used I am not understanding. I am getting better with sailing language thoe. See this is where I get confused, I have not yet been on a catamaran, and it's been a long time since I was on a sail boat.
From the videos I have seen a sail boat does a lot more leaning then the catamaran. Also from the videos I watched there's a lot more storage and easier access to the engines, generator etc. I know to each is there own, I just want to understand why more sailors prefer single hull sail boats then catamaran's. I see a lot more sail boats around where I live then cats.
Old 06-14-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

You can find a good 44 ft liveaboard mono for $100k

Although cat prices are coming down as the older charter boats are dropping out of the fleets there is not much for under 200k.
Old 06-14-2011

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I see a lot more sail boats around where I live then cats.
Slip fees
Old 06-14-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Once racing catamaran:
Oracle catamaran capsizes in practice race

On a catamaran you reef for the gusts. On a monohull you can reef for the wind. A monohull may get knocked down in a gust but a cat can blow over which is generally, not good.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
One disadvantage to cats is that they are as stable upside down as right side up. OTOH, they rarely turn over. You can hole one hull and they'll generally stay afloat, which of course few monohulls will do. I suspect tradition figures in as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 06-15-2011

"you reef for the gusts. On a monohull you can reef for the wind".
Exactly what does that term mean?
Slip fees, well what about living on a mooring. Is it practical or a harder way of living. I have thought about that to. I thought a cat was more stable then a sail boat?
Old 06-15-2011

Catamaran Vs Monohull

I just read this article twice and the multihull and the monohull make much better sence. I copied the web address if anyone is interested in this guys perspective on this matter. But mist of you know what you are talking about and are helping me big time. Just thought it made sence. Thanks all, keep me going.
The Following User Says Thank You to dropanchorfor3 For This Useful Post:
Steady Hand (06-11-2014)
Old 06-15-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Catamaran Vs Monohull

I just read this article twice and the multihull and the monohull make much better sence. I copied the web address if anyone is interested in this guys perspective on this matter. But mist of you know what you are talking about and are helping me big time. Just thought it made sence. Thanks all, keep me going.
Do be aware that the article was written by a self admitted cat lover.

He misses out some of the disadvantages associated with smaller cats and also the hit you take if you spend time in marinas and in some places the limited number of marina berths that can take cats.
Old 06-15-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
TQA excellent post. Even though he is partial to cats he admits some of their failings. I still would prefer a mono simply because, as stated they are more forgiving in extreme conditions, a mono may be rolled several times in a storm, a cat only once.

To answer the OP I was a power boater for decades, now I am learning sailing. I would suggest a simular approach. Take as many boating classes as you can. Buy a small inexpensive used power boat,...take it out in a protected area in good weather as much as you can. Experience is a good teacher, before that meet an experienced boater, and go out with them as much as you can.

Take a sailing class, even if you don't ever intend to buy one. Rent one for weekends. After a few years you will be able to answer your question yourself.