Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
Ok , that all makes good sence and I'm glad I asked it. But if you are going to an island in the Bahamas that is very small, do you still need to go out of your way to the main island and check in?
Yes. Otherwise you've just become an uninvited guest - a.k.a., illegal immigrant - into their country. There are numerous places to check in, even on relatively small islands - and generally, the authorities on the smaller, less common islands are easier to deal with. There's a fee, $150 for a boat under 35 ft, or $300 for a larger boat, generally good for 6 months.

And checking back into the US is even more critical and stringent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Each country has its own rules for clearing in, most require that all crew remain aboard and only captain (armed with passports and paperwork) goes ashore to clear in.
Agree with the statement but must add the most important thing most countries want to see.....MONEY!!!!!
Old 06-22-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
We recently came back from the Bahamas and checked into Key West. We were told that we had to have the CBP decal and were forced to purchase one. A bunch of crap if you ask me. Just another way to collect more of my money. I should have just skipped checking back in all together since nobody seemed to notice my return. The checkin procedure took 4 times longer for the US as a citizen than it did for the Bahamas. Go figure! Bureaucracy at its best here in the US.

Old 06-22-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
Jackdale can you tell me if you are considered to be clearing in to the US if traversing US waters? For example between Tsawwassen BC and Mayne island BC where you are departing from a Canadian port and making land again in a Canadian port without stopping in the US.
Technically if you do not drop a fishing line, moor, anchor, tie to a dock, or raft to a vessel in foreign waters, you have not landed. That said, if you happen to be at a point of entry and CBP folks are present, they may decide they want you to clear in anyway. Furthermore, the CBP claims to be monitoring the waters near the border, and if it appears to them that you might be coming from foreign waters, they will assume you are coming from foreign waters.

When I was moored in Point Roberts (a U.S. point of entry bordering Tsawassen), I was leaving my slip one day when the motor stalled and wouldn't restart. I drifted over to the guest dock, which happens to also be the customs dock at Point Roberts. There happened to be some CBP personnel there and they made me and my crew clear in even though we had just left my slip and were clearly on our way out of the marina.

They err on the side of caution, and so should you.

And now I'll take this opportunity to complain about the unreasonable "closing times" of the U.S. points of entry... if you arrive too late (5pm in the winter!) they threaten you with a $4000 fine. Okay I'm done.
Old 06-22-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
Jackdale can you tell me if you are considered to be clearing in to the US if traversing US waters? For example between Tsawwassen BC and Mayne island BC where you are departing from a Canadian port and making land again in a Canadian port without stopping in the US.
No you are not clearing in. If that were the case every ferry leaving the Tsawwassen terminal for the Gulf Idlands would have to clear in to the US and then back into Canada. The terminal is just north of the border.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-28-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
So it makes sence, you check in when you enter another country. I guess you better remember or figure out where you need to navigate to, to check in and if it's your first time doing it, you might be there a while. That's gonna suck when the time comes I need to check in for my first time.
They will probably fine, me board my boat, take what I can't bring in to that country and then fine me again for being stupid. LOL, that will be fun finding the location to check in.
Old 06-28-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
There is an excellent website for cruisers called Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors that gives all the details.

Also if you start cruising in distant lands you can ask around fellow cruisers for the dos and donts for a particular country.

Currently the two of the most difficult countries are the USA and Australia. I know someone on a Finnish flagged vessel who has recently come down the eastern seaboard of the USA and had to spent a fortune on taxies as he had to clear into and out of each individual state. The offices are not on the waterfront and the locations are not well documented. He encountered many officials who were unfamiliar with the reporting rules and gave varying interpretations of them.
Old 06-28-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know someone on a Finnish flagged vessel who has recently come down the eastern seaboard of the USA and had to spent a fortune on taxies as he had to clear into and out of each individual state.
I don't understand why he had to clear into very STATE, couldn't that be a couple in one day? unless it was just to punish him for IKEA?
Old 06-28-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Ikea is Swedish, must be some other reason.
Old 06-28-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
I'm a yank Brian, sometimes I shoot before I investigate.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.