Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
CBP and Border Patrol on Docks

I have a question, my gf and I were in Miami today and stopped by a Miami harbor. We saw the CBP show up with border patrol. It seems if you sail to lets say the Bahamas you have to tell them when your going and when your coming back, Is this really true.
If so what happens if you go, and you don't checking with them, how are they or is anyone to know you are going to sail out of the country. This sounds serious.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
To my knowledge, you're suppose to clear in with customs when returning from a foreign country, but I'm unaware of anything about saying you're going.

Between immigration and drugs, Miami is always going to be a more active port for the CBP and Immigration.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
On the Pacific if you sail into Mexican waters you must clear in with customs in San Diego when returning even if you don't land.
Old 06-20-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
I have a question, my gf and I were in Miami today and stopped by a Miami harbor. We saw the CBP show up with border patrol. It seems if you sail to lets say the Bahamas you have to tell them when your going and when your coming back, Is this really true.
If so what happens if you go, and you don't checking with them, how are they or is anyone to know you are going to sail out of the country. This sounds serious.
When you clear into the Bahamas, they report your clearance.

There are places, e.g. Antigua, in which you must clear out.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-21-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Almost all countries require your clearance papers from clearing out in the prior country in order to clear in. The USA is one of the few countries that does not require clearing out and thus neighbouring countries will let you clear in without those forms when coming from the USA. But you will need your papers when returning to the USA and clearing in. The procedure when entering territorial waters of foreign nation is to hoist the Q-Flag (yellow flag, on starboard side) and then clear in as quickly as practicable.
Each country has its own rules for clearing in, most require that all crew remain aboard and only captain (armed with passports and paperwork) goes ashore to clear in. The USA requires that all people aboard come ashore to clear in.
The best list of rules and regulations plus a load of additional information, is available at http://www.noonsite.com

Old 06-21-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Each country has its own rules for clearing in, most require that all crew remain aboard and only captain (armed with passports and paperwork) goes ashore to clear in. The USA requires that all people aboard come ashore to clear in.
When clearing in the San Juan Islands, only the skipper can get off the boat. I was chastised once when some crew got off to help another boat tie up.

Quote:
Write down the documentation/registration number from the ship's papers, and the names, citizenship, birth date, and residence of passengers. Bring that and your charter agreement to the office or dock phone. Leave the ship's papers on board. Have ID of children aboard, and written permission if they are not your children. Only the skipper may leave the boat until after you have cleared customs – ALL OTHER PASSENGERS MUST REMAIN ONBOARD UNTIL CLEARED!
Boaters Clearing Customs Information - British Columbia Canada

The same is true when entering Canada.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-21-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Jackdale - you are correct and I was wrong about the US clearance procedure for foreign yachts, only the captain goes ashore (since I usually singlehand I get confused about who goes ashore or not).
Subsequently every person aboard the vessel has to clear immigration in person. See Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements - CBP.gov or noonsite or 19 USC 1433 - Sec. 1433. Report of arrival of vessels, vehicles, and aircraft - U.S. Code - Title 19: Customs Duties - Part II - Report, Entry, and Unlading of Vessels and Vehicles - Id 19194197 - vLex for those details.

Old 06-21-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
Jackdale can you tell me if you are considered to be clearing in to the US if traversing US waters? For example between Tsawwassen BC and Mayne island BC where you are departing from a Canadian port and making land again in a Canadian port without stopping in the US.
Old 06-21-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
If you're a US citizen, you don't need to clear *out* of the US when going to Bahamas or Canada, or USVI to BVI, but you need to clear *into* those countries. And, you need to clear back *into* the US. If you go back and forth frequently, look into "Local Boater Program" for returning to FL, or NEXIS (sp?) for returning from Canada. Each of these will let you pre-register your passport and ships papers with CBP, then you can generally clear back into the US with just a phone call instead of showing up in person. It's a free program, convenient for you, and lets CBP concentrate their resources on bigger risks.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-21-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Ok , that all makes good sence and I'm glad I asked it. But if you are going to an island in the Bahamas that is very small, do you still need to go out of your way to the main island and check in?