Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2003

busytommy is on a distinguished road
29ft cruising

Hi,

Just obtained a Compass 29 (Aussie built) full keel sloop, and intend to cruise the pacific and possibly back through indian ocean to mauritius (originating from Australia), ultimately to europe...as such I am curious as to others that have done this on a 29ft or smaller boat and their experience. I intend to do this with my wife and 4yo son.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Tommy (Viva Vita)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003

cptnoz is on a distinguished road
29ft cruising

Tommy,

Your post is a little old now and I noticed that you have not had any replies. The fact is that the boat that you have chosen would not be known to many people outside of Australia and while I know you weren''t expecting that and more interested in people who had cruised in a similar size of boat without knowing about the boat most people would have shied off a response.

The boat that you have provided it is in good condition is well and truly capable of doing what you want and the Net is littered with names of people who have done it and continue to do it in boats of the size that you have. The Compass 29 commands a good sale price for a reason and it is a good solid and reliable boat with adequate if not spacious accommodation. Even good headroom for what is traditionally seen as modest boat.

The Pardeys come to mind immediately and their boat is about the same size as yours. With small boats it is more about the capabilities of the sailor and his or her ability to cope in the limited conditions. You will soon know how YOU will cope with a boat that size after taking extended on board stays even while just coastal sailing.

Folkboats also come to mind and several of them have sailed extended ocean voyages. The accommodation in Folkboats is a hell of a lot more cramped than yours. I have never sailed a C29 but I have seen them on water that scared off other boats. They sail well in those conditions and by now you would have found that yourself.

Even Annie Hill (of Sailing on a Budget or similar fame) when she first got going did so in a much more modest boat than yours and without I am certain all the features and amenities that you have on the C29.

Any smart sailor picks the conditions and times to go. Even sailing across Bass
Strait can be a breeze if you pick the right time and conditions. It is a bit hard to do that with a race schedule as the participants in that notorious Syney Hobart found out. But there are no guarantees and Kate Cottee and Jesse Martin have penned plenty of material about that which is readily available. If you read their accounts closely you will notice that the boats faired better than they did in some respects.

And that is the point of what I am saying. Your boat is undoubtably capable and as much as we like to put up our weights sometimes it is really us as the sailors who are wanting. Platitudes about going small and going now notwithstanding.

Both Jesse Martin and Kate Cottee had bigger boats but things like Contessa 26''s have done it. I know that does not answer your question but I suggest you read the accounts of those people who have done it in those boats. If your sailing abilities are up to that standard and you are comfortable with the accommodation and seaworthiness of your boat it may surprise you but you have the answers already. All you need is the confidence to take the plunge.

And aint that the truth with most things.

regards
Johnno
Old 02-28-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
29ft cruising

Well said, Johno.

I am based In Melbourne, Australia and am turning an Endeavour 26 into a pocket cruiser for Bluewater sailing.

It is really tough to get away form everyone telling you that you need at least 38 feet of boat to even leave the Heads....
But it can be done an done well.

Good luck.

By the way...a lot of my inspiration came from Dave & Jaja Martin who''s logs can be found at setsail.com. They did two cicumnavigations in a 25foot production boat and had children along the way.

Soem poeple just learn how to fit sanity into a smaller suitcase

Sasha
Old 04-29-2004

debbieandpete is on a distinguished road
29ft cruising

HI Sasha,
Just joined the website so of course, am pouring over it!
Could you tell me where exactly you found the story of the people living aboard on the 25''? I''d love to read it!
Happy sailing and make yourself a great day!
debbie
Old 04-29-2004

29ft cruising

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin.html

Will take you to the webpage for the Martin family. Going into the archives for the Martini Voyages and Direction will be the archives dealing with the Cal26 they circumnavigated on twice.

They also wrote a book called Into The Light which I can highly recommend as a good fun read.

There is also a fellow at our local yacht club who spent six months living aboard his 25footer. Not sure of what make it is except that it was from South Africa, but it was basically a Jayco Campervan that floated. Horrible boat! It was so wide it was almost round, it had a winged keel less then two feet deep and had twin rudders and other over-complications galore!

I can only imagine the incredible leeway this pregnant guppy of a boat suffered...but internally, it offered two full, double bed staterooms, teak and brass everywhere, head with pressurized hot-water shower, four burner galley with oven and double sink, and dedicated nav station as well as a decent dinning table that became a third double bed. All this in a boat with 25foot LOA.

Scary!

He also paid about the same for it as I would pay for a 32-38footer....

Some people are just peculiar.

Sasha

Old 07-20-2004
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
29ft cruising

29 feet is not that small.A lot of people
have circumnavigated on less.Tania Abie went out in a 26 footer
Old 07-20-2004

jbanta is on a distinguished road
29ft cruising

I read her story she was so LUCKY...
Old 07-20-2004

29ft cruising

Old 12-02-2006

Lin and Larry is on a distinguished road
Hi
Happened across these letters and wanted to encourage you to get out there and enjoy cruising as we did. Larry and I set off in 24'4" Seraffyn back in 1968 and heard everyone telling us we'd be back in a week or two, and want a bigger boat. We never understood their worries, Larry had crewed or skippered on large boats, size never seemed to make any difference as to safety, only meant a lot more money tied up in the boat and lot more maintenance to do. All during our eleven years of circumnavigating on her we felt she was big enough. When people asked how we got along on such a small boat we simply answered, "We own the whole world, we just sleep, eat and travel in a small but luxurious space."
There are still lots of folks out there on boats under 30 feet.

You can see pictures of our current boat, 29'9" Taleisin at www.landlpardey.com. She's wonderful, has loads of room and has taken us on over 65,000 miles of adventures. Our motto is still, Go small, go simple, go now!"

Best of luck,
Lin and Larry Pardey
Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lin/Larry-

I doubt that they'll be reading this as the non-spam posts are over two years old. I agree that a 40'+ boat is not a necessity...but it really depends on what your priorities and necessities are....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.