Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011

Rozz is on a distinguished road
oh and congratz on the move btw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to SailNet, and congratulations on the move!

When I was in SoCal some years ago, a number of brokers were keeping boats in Oxnard bacause it was relatively inexpensive, but there wasn't much happening in Oxnard the last time I was there. Wilmington, behind Terminal Island in LA, was always a good compromize of lower than average slip fees vs lots of work available nearby. If it was me, there, now, I'd head straight down to Ensenanda and take it from there.
Old 07-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjslife View Post
....I say that because of the 100 yard dash in the morning to get to the bathrooms........
When at the dock, I encourage family members that need to dispose of solids to use the bathrooms onshore, but the heads on the boat can be used to deposit liquids. I don't get into this with guests. Keeps the holding tank volume down and the tank can be managed easier, without solids, if I have to leave her partially filled when away for several days.

My sister once named the above practice the "walk of shame", since all know too precisely why you need to go ashore. My wife hates the phrase, but it stuck. All the kids, nieces, nephews, etc all use it. I had a half dozen of my daughter's friends aboard last week and they already knew the term.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-13-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
"Walk of shame" huh? In college, that is what we called the girls walking home in the morning wearing the same clothes as the night before. We have a LA who is quite popular and we often see the same walk from his guests!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
"Walk of shame" huh? In college, that is what we called the girls walking home in the morning wearing the same clothes as the night before. We have a LA who is quite popular and we often see the same walk from his guests!
Those were the days.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-24-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
As a complete newbie who is planning (if all goes well), to purchase and live aboard by November, I LOVE the comments on these forums. Geez, I haven't even found my boat yet, and I've received a warm welcome and GREAT help! And - BONUS - I am such a wiseass/comic that it's nice to know that I may be tolerated or even welcome here! lol

Anyway, I look forward to living vicariously through you as you start YOUR adventure. Hopefully, I'll be just a few months behind you. YES, as I'll be living in the Boston area, WINTER should be fun! Does the C30 have an ice-breaker attachment? It's the boat I'm looking at - I'd hate to buy a boat and have to wait 6 months for sea trials! lol

Hey, LOVED your triatholon analogy - my wit and humor will be challenged to rise to a new level with you guys! Don't worry about the ladies - I'm told these boats are a chick magnet! Just get one drunk and when she wakes up 50 miles out to sea, tell her she'll have to work for passage! KIDDING - these days you can get sued just for joking.

Thanks and Take Air,
Jack
ppiccolo1 likes this.
Old 07-24-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjslife View Post
Hello all, I just moved aboard my 1973 Morgan O/I 33' on the first of July and loving every minute of it...................
Hello, and congratulations! We spent 12 years aboard our 1973 Morgan OI 33' and loved it. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-27-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Rozz is right. We looked at San Diego marinas as an alternative to where we are, wanting to spend as little as possible on the marina so that we could spend more on the boat. There are some really reasonable marinas there for what you pay.

We settled for a marina in Wilmington. It is hand's-down the least expensive, coming in at $9 a foot. It is a more "rustic" marina, and we weren't sure about it at first, but we have fallen in love with the marina and the people. Down to earth and almost all are really friendly.

Good thing about a marina that is cheaper, is that the people there all know how to fix boats! We have learned tons about repair and maintenance.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.