Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
New Live Aboard Member!

Hope I'm not jinxing things by jumping the gun, but I made an offer and it was accepted 4 hours ago! 1984 Pearson 303 with LOTS of upgrades and toys - in EXCELLENT condition. As a bonus, the elderly gentleman who is selling it for health reasons will be my mentor for as long as I want/need (within reason). He even offered to help me touch up the teak, etc.

Now I have to think of a name! "My IRA" comes to mind - long story, but it FITS!

Thanks for all your help and patience during this process. And, no hard feelings by Catalina owners - GREAT boat, just ended up having a personal preference for the Pearson!

Last edited by veprjack; 08-05-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Trouble embedding picture - it's the avatar now anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

It sounds like a great deal and the PO being willing to show you the ropes is a definite plus. He probably didn't want to let it go but now you're both in a win/win situation.
veprjack likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-05-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Congrats! When are you moving aboard?
veprjack likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-05-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Welcome to the club
veprjack likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-05-2011
On The Learning Curve

Thanks guys. I KNOW how it sounds like a sales gimmick, but the guy HATED to sell it - and because it's for age/health issues, it really bothered him. I think he's delighted that I'll be keeping the boat in the same area and that we'll probably become friends; I'll invite him out often - and get free lessons to boot! He already bought a 16' just to play with in the harbor, but won't go out alone any more.

I called my insurance company and they'll get back to me with a list of approved surveyors next week. There's no hurry (except I'm DYING to move in), so I'll probably just keep in on the mooring (for free, and with FREE/Unlimited Water Taxi Service - another part of the deal) until October when my slip comes open for winter. Then I'll officially move aboard. The slip I'm hoping to get is in Salem, MA - so I may name the boat "Witch Way" with a witch flying a broom? 1/2 kidding - I'll probably spend the winter thinking of a name.

Anyway, now I can stop asking newbie quesitons about what to buy and concentrate on asking newbie questions about HOW DO I DO THIS??? lol... Can you tell how excited I am? I KNEW it was THE ONE for me as the taxi was pulling up next to it - before I ever set foot on it. I loaded some pics of it onto my profile if you care to see, but here's the listing - Used 1984 Pearson 303, Salem MA - 98422369 - BoatTrader.com Yes, it's a 13hp, but will move it along at almost 6knots so...
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Old 08-05-2011
On The Learning Curve

Tim,

Once again, thanks for your help and patience! I'd tell you that we may run into each other, but that would be STUPID - so I'll say, "I hope we're not just two ships passing in the night"? NO - that's STUPID too. Hmmm. How about, I'll meet you 1/2 way off Rye, NH? I'm guessing that's about 1/2 way.

Seriously, do you ever get down this way? I probably won't be venturing too far out of the harbor for a while, but one of my goals is to sail into that gorgeous harbor of yours next season - Is a bar by the name of "Three Dollar Deweys" still open? We can hoist one there - an old friend of mine helped name it - FUNNY story.

Take care,
Jack
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Old 08-05-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
I'll probably spend the winter thinking of a name.
Don't forget to do a proper re-naming ceremony. I changed the name of my first boat and ended up with almost the same health issue that the PO had and was his reason for selling it.

Just sayin'.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-05-2011

GEO42 is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the new boat. My wife and I lived on a Pearson 303 for 9 mo. Whent down the intra coastal water way from Wicford RI and back. Its a great boat.
veprjack likes this.
Old 08-05-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I fully understand the previous owner's desire to keep touch with the care of his former vessel. I've let two former liveaboard boats go to new owners and I have a need to see to their current state of care. They have cruised off beyond my awareness now, but I still have hopes that they are sound. Take cae and joy, Aythya crew
veprjack likes this.
Old 08-05-2011
On The Learning Curve

You guys are the best, and part of the reason I'm so excited to be a "member". I will probably drive you crazy with newbie questions - especially during a snowstorm when I'm huddled under the blankets with the laptop - until the power goes out and it gets REALLY cold! hahaha

DR - wow - I WILL have a proper renaming ceremony. AND, because the boat will be within walking distance of "The House of the Seven Gables" and "The Salem Witch Museum", I'd better do some incantations and have a "good" witch sprinkle some potion on the bow! I'm only 1/2 kidding!

Aside from the TOURISTY atmosphere there, it's a REALLY nice place with a large part of downtown off limits to vehicles, etc. It's quaint, has a YMCA, laundromat, great restaurants - but perhaps the most important thing is - (drum roll) - there's a GREAT bar across the street! THAT will make those icy walks down the gangway all the more interesting! Hic! Hmmm - maybe I'll stick to tea or cocoa???

Thanks again,
Jack
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor