Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Mike,

Thanks - the tool thing is important. I have an SUV with good space in back, so as much as I hate to have a cluttered car... It's a good time for me to buy a boat in the Boston climate - can do a lot of thinking/planning/reading and purchase items I need, like safety harness, etc.

I may do a storage unit for the winter and in the spring, take another swipe at it. Hey, for $600 or so, it might be worth it for peace of mind.

Take care,
Jack
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road
Most of the marinas out here have storage lockers available, but they aren't huge. I stash what few large items I kept after the move in there. All my tools stay on the boat, though.
Old 08-30-2011

Cap10paul is on a distinguished road
Storage

I've lived aboard for over 10 years. While I have seen a few marinas that allowed for rental of small storage spots it has been very few.

I bought a 15' pontoon boat with a canvas cover and for a few bucks I have an on the water storage of 15'x 8' 3' high.Enough room for 2 kayaks, a windsurfer, 4 outboard motors, high pressure sprayer etc. Others on my dock have offered to "join in" on purchasing an old, wood cabin cruiser and making it into our workshop with bench and vice etc.
Prior to the pontoon boat I made flyers and put them on the garages of a near apartment complex. Many apartment dwellers don't have cars and I ended up with a 1 car garage for $25 a month.
Old 08-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

There's a HUGE storage facility 200 yards from the marina I'll be keeping my boat at. They have a nice 9'X12' for $110/month-with security and easy access; for around here, that's pretty cheap. I may take advantage of this, where I can WALK to it.

You guys have some great ideas and they have my creative juices flowing...
Old 08-30-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
The thought of floating storage and a workshop is pretty neat, but it's just one more floating "thing" to have to maintain, rent a slip for, and worry about when a big storm rolls through.

Veprjack, you've got the ideal world there with a big storage facility within walking distance. Hell, I'd be happy if my theoretical marina had one that was a 5 minute drive away. I think you should jump on that if you're going to live aboard.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
The thought of floating storage and a workshop is pretty neat, but it's just one more floating "thing" to have to maintain, rent a slip for, and worry about when a big storm rolls through.

Veprjack, you've got the ideal world there with a big storage facility within walking distance. Hell, I'd be happy if my theoretical marina had one that was a 5 minute drive away. I think you should jump on that if you're going to live aboard.
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I sent them an email that was bounced back for whatever reason. I'll have to call or stop by and get a tour...
Old 08-30-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
If livingaboard has a component of freedom to move and cruise, doesn't shore storage represent a burdensome teather that works against the purpose of living on a boat?
Old 08-30-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
The longer you live on the boat, the less stuff you will accumulate.

When we first moved aboard 7 years ago, all we had for storage was our car and out dock box. Now, if it doesn't fit on the boat, then it doesn't belong in our lives.

If you need the tools for the boat, then find something close. I suggest a dock box for the tools and the car for your extra clothes, and then find ways to reduce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The full size van idea from wingNwing is excellent. Two birds, one stone, acceptable storage right in the parking lot. I suspect that the vast majority of liveaboards do not cruise very far away, at least not routinely.

I would definitely have economical stuff (tools in particular) that I would not want to have to keep aboard year round.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
thanx M - that solution has worked for us for many years now. I wish we could be quite as free as captain force, but at least the van is mobile in its own way.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: