SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Liveaboard question- Onshore storage (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/77463-liveaboard-question-onshore-storage.html)

BubbleheadMd 08-12-2011 08:04 AM

Liveaboard question- Onshore storage

I have a question for you liveaboard folks-

While I realize that you have to massively downsize your material posessions, when you're living on a 30-40' boat, you may still need some things that you don't necessarily want to clutter up the boat with.

Do many marinas offer some sort of on-shore storage shed that you can rent in addition to your monthly/yearly slip fees?

PBzeer 08-12-2011 08:10 AM

Haven't encountered any from Texas to Maryland. Most I've seen is a dockside box. For myself, I built a good shed at my brother's house back in Indiana for all the stuff that wasn't going to the boat. A grand for the shed, but no monthly fees.

SVAuspicious 08-12-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 761413)
Do many marinas offer some sort of on-shore storage shed that you can rent in addition to your monthly/yearly slip fees?

Not many but some. In Annapolis Eastport Yacht Center and Port Annapolis, both on Back Creek have onsite storage for rent. I found a good utility trailer to be a good investment for storage as long as you can manage the parking challenge. If you park on the street you have to move it regularly to avoid tickets; if you park in your marina lot you may have to pay a surcharge. The trailer definitely broadened my options.

BubbleheadMd 08-12-2011 10:04 AM

The trailer is a great idea if you can manage the parking situation, thanks.

wingNwing 08-12-2011 10:07 AM

Our marina offers storage sheds onsite; however, they are about twice the price per square foot as we found renting a space at a u-store-it place across town. This holds our sails in winter, and blankets and cockpit enclosure in summer. We are allowed two parking spaces with our slip lease, and one of those is a full-size van that holds a lot of miscellaneous possessions that we need to access on a more frequent basis, but don't need aboard.

Tim R. 08-12-2011 11:06 AM

We use our car for temporary stuff, dock box for supplies(dog food, TP, cleaners, etc) and a storage unit for major stuff and long term storage. We unstep our mast every winter and store the boom, rigging and sails in the storage unit.

CaptainForce 08-12-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 761413)
............I realize that you have to massively downsize your material posessions, when you're living on a 30-40' boat................

I guess this is the most common practice, but we never downsized and we never had a dock box or items stored ashore except a couple of bicycles cable-locked on the dock. The bikes are often dismantled and tucked into the aft cabin. The move aboard is easy if you don't have "stuff". We have a few empty lockers and we remain without "stuff" to put in them. As it is, we still sometimes gather up and remove "stuff" that we don't use. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

veprjack 08-12-2011 06:08 PM

I JUST bought a Pearson 303, and am walking through my house, trying to figure things out. My BIG plasma screen, the giant speakers, etc. will go through Craigslist or whatever, along with a LOT of other stuff. I'd love to be able to avoid $100/month or whatever for a storage unit.

My plan is to be living aboard by the middle of October, but I may still be going back to the house to continue the clearing out process. It's a BIG change, but I'm committed and willing to do what it takes to make my dream come true. I like George Carlin's skit on "Stuff", and will keep reminding myself of what he said, as I go through this potentially painful process.

BubbleheadMd 08-12-2011 10:16 PM

Mainly what I'm worried about storing is a large array of tools and clothes. The tools will help maintain the boat. The clothes are for work. As Wingz said, storage of sails and things during the winter would be valuable.

MikeinLA 08-13-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veprjack (Post 761647)
I JUST bought a Pearson 303, and am walking through my house, trying to figure things out. My BIG plasma screen, the giant speakers, etc. will go through Craigslist or whatever, along with a LOT of other stuff. I'd love to be able to avoid $100/month or whatever for a storage unit.

My plan is to be living aboard by the middle of October, but I may still be going back to the house to continue the clearing out process. It's a BIG change, but I'm committed and willing to do what it takes to make my dream come true. I like George Carlin's skit on "Stuff", and will keep reminding myself of what he said, as I go through this potentially painful process.

Expect to have a few weird moments during the transition. When I moved aboard years ago and as I was selling or giving away most of my belongings, I kept having this weird feeling like I was dying in some way. I guess it was the life I had known was dying. Just sayin', be prepared for that. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Anyway, once aboard, life was great so no problem.

As for the OP's storage question, it will vary from marina to marina. An old nearly dead van makes a perfect solution, there are several parked in my marina's parking lot that never move. Just wash it once in a while so it's not an eyesore. As for storing tools, try to find a place onboard for them if you can. Remember, "if anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there".

Mike