Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Liveaboard question- Onshore storage

I have a question for you liveaboard folks-

While I realize that you have to massively downsize your material posessions, when you're living on a 30-40' boat, you may still need some things that you don't necessarily want to clutter up the boat with.

Do many marinas offer some sort of on-shore storage shed that you can rent in addition to your monthly/yearly slip fees?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Haven't encountered any from Texas to Maryland. Most I've seen is a dockside box. For myself, I built a good shed at my brother's house back in Indiana for all the stuff that wasn't going to the boat. A grand for the shed, but no monthly fees.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Do many marinas offer some sort of on-shore storage shed that you can rent in addition to your monthly/yearly slip fees?
Not many but some. In Annapolis Eastport Yacht Center and Port Annapolis, both on Back Creek have onsite storage for rent. I found a good utility trailer to be a good investment for storage as long as you can manage the parking challenge. If you park on the street you have to move it regularly to avoid tickets; if you park in your marina lot you may have to pay a surcharge. The trailer definitely broadened my options.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-12-2011
Chastened

The trailer is a great idea if you can manage the parking situation, thanks.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-12-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Our marina offers storage sheds onsite; however, they are about twice the price per square foot as we found renting a space at a u-store-it place across town. This holds our sails in winter, and blankets and cockpit enclosure in summer. We are allowed two parking spaces with our slip lease, and one of those is a full-size van that holds a lot of miscellaneous possessions that we need to access on a more frequent basis, but don't need aboard.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-12-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We use our car for temporary stuff, dock box for supplies(dog food, TP, cleaners, etc) and a storage unit for major stuff and long term storage. We unstep our mast every winter and store the boom, rigging and sails in the storage unit.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-12-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
............I realize that you have to massively downsize your material posessions, when you're living on a 30-40' boat................
I guess this is the most common practice, but we never downsized and we never had a dock box or items stored ashore except a couple of bicycles cable-locked on the dock. The bikes are often dismantled and tucked into the aft cabin. The move aboard is easy if you don't have "stuff". We have a few empty lockers and we remain without "stuff" to put in them. As it is, we still sometimes gather up and remove "stuff" that we don't use. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-12-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
I JUST bought a Pearson 303, and am walking through my house, trying to figure things out. My BIG plasma screen, the giant speakers, etc. will go through Craigslist or whatever, along with a LOT of other stuff. I'd love to be able to avoid $100/month or whatever for a storage unit.

My plan is to be living aboard by the middle of October, but I may still be going back to the house to continue the clearing out process. It's a BIG change, but I'm committed and willing to do what it takes to make my dream come true. I like George Carlin's skit on "Stuff", and will keep reminding myself of what he said, as I go through this potentially painful process.
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Old 08-12-2011
Chastened

Mainly what I'm worried about storing is a large array of tools and clothes. The tools will help maintain the boat. The clothes are for work. As Wingz said, storage of sails and things during the winter would be valuable.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-13-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
I JUST bought a Pearson 303, and am walking through my house, trying to figure things out. My BIG plasma screen, the giant speakers, etc. will go through Craigslist or whatever, along with a LOT of other stuff. I'd love to be able to avoid $100/month or whatever for a storage unit.

My plan is to be living aboard by the middle of October, but I may still be going back to the house to continue the clearing out process. It's a BIG change, but I'm committed and willing to do what it takes to make my dream come true. I like George Carlin's skit on "Stuff", and will keep reminding myself of what he said, as I go through this potentially painful process.
Expect to have a few weird moments during the transition. When I moved aboard years ago and as I was selling or giving away most of my belongings, I kept having this weird feeling like I was dying in some way. I guess it was the life I had known was dying. Just sayin', be prepared for that. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Anyway, once aboard, life was great so no problem.

As for the OP's storage question, it will vary from marina to marina. An old nearly dead van makes a perfect solution, there are several parked in my marina's parking lot that never move. Just wash it once in a while so it's not an eyesore. As for storing tools, try to find a place onboard for them if you can. Remember, "if anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there".

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.