Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
If your going to have problems managing your work clothes and casual clothes, how will you ever face the challenges of sailing, especially offshore, visiting, oh my golly, "foreign countries...."

Best thing to manage for me is my toys..hum, well today do I scuba dive? Snorkel? Ride bikes? Kite sail? Play my drum? Watch movies? Hike in the rainforest? Read a book? Go kayaking? Brew beer? Play golf? Go fishing? Walk on the beach.....The possibilities are endless when your barefoot....Yes the Armani suit is getting a bit musty......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
As seasonal small-boat liveaboards who still have full-time dirt jobs, here is what we have learned.
1. You wake up earlier. When the shower is a dinghy ride away, rather than just off the bedroom, you're not slapping the snoozebar as often.
2. The order of the morning ritual changes. Instead of stumbling out of the shower and surveying the closet, you have to figure out what you are going to wear, take it with you into the shower and hang it off the back of the door to steam out the inevitable wrinkles.
3. You don't need 8 pairs of shoes.
4. No one notices that you only have two sport coats.
5. If your clothes are black, khaki and beige, you don't need to have as many clothes because everything goes together.
6. As a salesperson, I find you can get away with guyaberas and flowered shirts when you tell people you live on your boat. It's also a great warm-up. In fact, if you don't wear flowered shirts and guyaberas, prospects look at you suspiciously. Dress too well and they think you are living on a 60 ft motoryacht, whicvh meas you are making waaaayyy too much.
7. Tight on storage? Underwear,socks, t-shirts and shorts go in pillow cases, your good clothes go in the drawers/bins. Voila- extra pillows, and less-wrinkled workwear.
8. When doing laundry, let everything spend extra time in the dryer. You want your clothes DRY. Mildew is not your friend.
9. Keep a package or two of silica gel and a sachet of pot pourri or at least a dryer sheet in your clothes storage bins. Your clothes will stay mildew free and smell good.

10. Keep your bilge and engine bay/ room CLEAN. I like the nautical funk of diesel, icebox runoff and stuffing box drippings as much as the next sailor, but your clothes will pick up the smell, and it ain't as provocative in a client's office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Bljones says pretty much all there is about it. I had one pair of Doc martens, a pair of sandshoes, old boat shoes and crocs. Haircuts - self inflicted.

You live a little on the fringe - not many can understand but all are envious.

Old 09-25-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Our best clothes are from the op shop..aka goodwill

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-25-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
My current boat (C&C 30 MK1- insert shameless plug here- good condition- great price) is for sale. I've been doing lots of boat shopping. Contemplating renting my house and giving it a go here in New England. brrrr.

My problem is that I must wear a suit and there is no way around it. The only solution I can think of is to keep my suits hanging in my vehicle. There is no boat in my price/size range that offers that kind of hanging space. Thankfully, the rest of my wardrobe consists of a couple pair of Levi's, shorts, sweaters and T-shirts.

The good news is that my employer has an on site gym w/ nice showers. I could work out every morning and take a shower there
Old 09-25-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I've never lived aboard full time, but every time work sends me on a road trip, I look for the nearest body of water. Is it close enough to commute? If so, the boat goes on the trailer, and I spent a week or so camping aboard and commuting to work.

It was fun, but I did have some difficulty managing my wardrobe. In my line of work I need to "look professional," and comfortable sailing clothes just don't.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 09-25-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
My current boat (C&C 30 MK1- insert shameless plug here- good condition- great price) is for sale. I've been doing lots of boat shopping. Contemplating renting my house and giving it a go here in New England. brrrr.

My problem is that I must wear a suit and there is no way around it. The only solution I can think of is to keep my suits hanging in my vehicle. There is no boat in my price/size range that offers that kind of hanging space. Thankfully, the rest of my wardrobe consists of a couple pair of Levi's, shorts, sweaters and T-shirts.

The good news is that my employer has an on site gym w/ nice showers. I could work out every morning and take a shower there
Our first yacht was a small 30' so I can fully understand your situation. We now have a larger yacht where we dont have to compromise anywhere near as much - however, will always need to decide on what to compromise when living on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
I've never lived aboard full time, but every time work sends me on a road trip, I look for the nearest body of water. Is it close enough to commute? If so, the boat goes on the trailer, and I spent a week or so camping aboard and commuting to work.

It was fun, but I did have some difficulty managing my wardrobe. In my line of work I need to "look professional," and comfortable sailing clothes just don't.
You are either cruising and your work gear is stashed away (vacu-bagged perhaps) or you are working and the work gear is hanging up awaiting ironing!

I prefer cotton shirts and trousers, have to get past the scrutiny of the boss each morning as well. People are understanding of their staff's situation - if not, move on - you are on a boat so just go to the next town! I have done this.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...P9180064-1.jpg

Old 09-29-2011

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road
Living aboard with a dog... and on the hook! Let me warn that if you have a dog and she/he doesn't swim to shore him/herself to do their business it gets to be a bit of a chore to shuttle them back and forth, especially in the middle of the night. No dog? Living aboard, job or no, can be heaven if you want it to be.
Old 06-14-2012
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
Re: Working while living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
1. You wake up earlier. When the shower is a dinghy ride away, rather than just off the bedroom, you're not slapping the snoozebar as often.
Why not take quick showers on your boat?

I'm a newbie here obviously, and I've never owned a sailboat. If you are in a slip and plugged in, couldn't you just leave your hot water on constantly, and then all you would need to do is flip on the pressure in the morning?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 06-14-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Working while living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Why not take quick showers on your boat?

I'm a newbie here obviously, and I've never owned a sailboat. If you are in a slip and plugged in, couldn't you just leave your hot water on constantly, and then all you would need to do is flip on the pressure in the morning?

Thanks,

Kevin
Good question Kevin. It is possible but you would really want a separate shower stall. And even with that, you would be battling a lot of moisture.

We live aboard at a slip with shower facilities a short walk away. We figure, why steam up the boat if we do not have to. When out cruising we shower on the transom with salt water and do final rinse with fresh.

-----------------------------------------------------