Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Working while living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
My current boat (C&C 30 MK1- insert shameless plug here- good condition- great price) is for sale. I've been doing lots of boat shopping. Contemplating renting my house and giving it a go here in New England. brrrr.

My problem is that I must wear a suit and there is no way around it. The only solution I can think of is to keep my suits hanging in my vehicle. There is no boat in my price/size range that offers that kind of hanging space. Thankfully, the rest of my wardrobe consists of a couple pair of Levi's, shorts, sweaters and T-shirts.

The good news is that my employer has an on site gym w/ nice showers. I could work out every morning and take a shower there
Before I retired I had a similar situation. I bicycled to work from the marina, showered in the gym and changed into business attire. Fortunately, I seldom had to wear a suit (In Hawaii). I kept the suit, a blazer, slacks and a couple of shirts at the office. Bicycle home, shower, change, beer.
DavidB.UK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Before I retired I had a similar situation. I bicycled to work from the marina, showered in the gym and changed into business attire. Fortunately, I seldom had to wear a suit (In Hawaii). I kept the suit, a blazer, slacks and a couple of shirts at the office. Bicycle home, shower, change, beer.
You know, that sounds real good.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-15-2012
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Good question Kevin. It is possible but you would really want a separate shower stall. And even with that, you would be battling a lot of moisture.

We live aboard at a slip with shower facilities a short walk away. We figure, why steam up the boat if we do not have to. When out cruising we shower on the transom with salt water and do final rinse with fresh.
Tim,

Thanks for the response. I wasn't thinking about moisture and the repercussions of it inside a boat.
Old 06-15-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

If the boat has Air-Conditioning, steaming up the inside shouldn't be a real problem with a shower. It knocks the moisture out of the air pretty fast.

I don't think I could get up at 5 a.m. and walk to the bath house to poop and shower every morning. I would want to have a shower on board and a pump-out service that emptied my holding tank on a weekly basis.

Maybe I'm just soft.
Old 06-15-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
If the boat has Air-Conditioning, steaming up the inside shouldn't be a real problem with a shower. It knocks the moisture out of the air pretty fast.

I don't think I could get up at 5 a.m. and walk to the bath house to poop and shower every morning. I would want to have a shower on board and a pump-out service that emptied my holding tank on a weekly basis.

Maybe I'm just soft.
Except you run the risk of freezing up the condenser which does not take long with high humidity.

We get up to walk the dog every morning and walk right by the bath house. Not really that difficult. Not wanting to do that does not make you soft, it makes you lazy.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-15-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

from 1990 until i became disabled in 2005, i worked and lived aboard. i did intensive care, post anesthesia and emergency room nursing. pacu i was manager. is not difficult to work and live aboard. i also spent much of the time ilived aboard at anchor or moored, and i was 130miles from work when on board. was not a difficulty.
have fun and work it ou tin your best manner--is doable. enjoy and have fun with your lifestyle.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-18-2012
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road

I work full-time in business casual attire - cook breakfast then do 12 minute dinghy ride followed by 1/2 mile walk to work out and shower/change. 1/2 mile walk to car. In a downpour, I put on my foul weather gear and keep my clothes dry in a backpack, which is the only "inconvenience" I think of as suffering. Now I'm on the hook in Salem/Marblehead Harbor - the winter, I'm at the dock.

The absolute bliss I feel with that first cup of coffee in my cockpit, watching the sunrise, the families with 9 ducklings, the Terns dive-bombing the bait fish next to my boat, casting for Stripers while still in my pajamas, etc. etc. etc. - far outweigh the rainy day(s). It's not for everybody, but it IS for me.
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

I am not yet living aboard (few weeks away only fingers crossed) but I have been working on creating income sources that will continue to generate income regardless of where I am.

For example, one of the things I have done is build a spreadsheet accounting system for small businesses and sell it as a download on my website and through eBay...

Now here comes the shameless plug...

£5.99 ($9.99) for a lifetime use. Spreadsheet Giveaway |

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 06-19-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
...sell through eBay...
Also just finished writing my first book; "Opulent Health, a step by step guide"
Which will be on sale in the same way very soon.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-06-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Except you run the risk of freezing up the condenser which does not take long with high humidity.
Anyone tried using a Humidifier designed for marine use, boat use, having success instead of running the AC to dehumidify?