Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Working while living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
Anyone tried using a Humidifier designed for marine use, boat use, having success instead of running the AC to dehumidify?
Do you mean de-humidifier?

In most cases I would assume you would not want to add humidity, which a humidifier does.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
Anyone tried using a Humidifier designed for marine use, boat use, having success instead of running the AC to dehumidify?
Most I have seen are really only designed for winter use, and actually use heat to keep the air temp above the dew point. They don't actually remove moisture, just keep it from condensing. I have read many accounts of people using smaller home de-humidifiers as they use a compressor and condenser to remove moisture.
Old 07-06-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

If anybody is interested I have just put created a new affiliate program into my website.

Zero cost, zero risk... 50% commission for any sales (of my book/app) resulting in a referral you made.
Please PM me for details if interested.
Old 07-18-2012

boating2go is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
If the boat has Air-Conditioning, steaming up the inside shouldn't be a real problem with a shower. It knocks the moisture out of the air pretty fast.

I don't think I could get up at 5 a.m. and walk to the bath house to poop and shower every morning. I would want to have a shower on board and a pump-out service that emptied my holding tank on a weekly basis.

Maybe I'm just soft.
I lived aboard for 10 years and worked the whole time wearing suits to work and casual at home. We showered on the boat everyday and never had a moisture problem, did make sure the shower had proper ventilation thought. We've always lived on 40 plus foot boats and had plenty of storage. Also always lived at a marina because unless we are cruising my wife won't live at anchor or at a mooring. Which I happen to agree with her, when I was young my parents lived in a house with no bath and the only running water was a faucet with only cold water. No thanks, I'll do the adventure if cruising or out for a weekend but not everyday.

The pumpout is a must, most marinas I've been at have had a portable pumpout service so you didn't have to leave your slip. The Gangplank in DC will even do it for as part of you slip fee. I always made it a point not to wonder what people at moorings are doing but at the same time I don't fish in any areas close to mooring fields.

Living aboard does have it cons but nothing is perfect, living in a house has its cons also. I've always hated moving grass, had a house with 2 acres of yard at one point man did I hate moving that. I'd sooner be doing something on the boat, painting, cleaning, putter around on the mechanics, or anything than out in a yard. But like everyone has their likes and dislikes living aboard appeals to a lot more of my likes than not.

My 2 cents worth.
mdi likes this.
Old 07-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
I lived aboard for 10 years and worked the whole time wearing suits to work and casual at home. We showered on the boat everyday and never had a moisture problem, did make sure the shower had proper ventilation thought. We've always lived on 40 plus foot boats and had plenty of storage. Also always lived at a marina because unless we are cruising my wife won't live at anchor or at a mooring. Which I happen to agree with her, when I was young my parents lived in a house with no bath and the only running water was a faucet with only cold water. No thanks, I'll do the adventure if cruising or out for a weekend but not everyday.

The pumpout is a must, most marinas I've been at have had a portable pumpout service so you didn't have to leave your slip. The Gangplank in DC will even do it for as part of you slip fee. I always made it a point not to wonder what people at moorings are doing but at the same time I don't fish in any areas close to mooring fields.

Living aboard does have it cons but nothing is perfect, living in a house has its cons also. I've always hated moving grass, had a house with 2 acres of yard at one point man did I hate moving that. I'd sooner be doing something on the boat, painting, cleaning, putter around on the mechanics, or anything than out in a yard. But like everyone has their likes and dislikes living aboard appeals to a lot more of my likes than not.

My 2 cents worth.
GOod post and agree with most of it, except we do use a dehumidifier in winter. Again, good post.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-19-2012

boating2go is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
GOod post and agree with most of it, except we do use a dehumidifier in winter. Again, good post.

Brian
We used one too plus we put "Damp-rid" all around to absorb moisture. You learn when living aboard that heat will generate moisture on a boat in the winter and you have to prepare for it. That is why we'll be in San Diego I don't want to have to shovel the dock every again. lol I remember shoveling the top of the boat one year because the snow was so heavy I worried about the weight on the decks and the top.

One good thing though with the 20kw diesel generator we had on board we were never with out power. I used to have an external plug on the boat so the people on the sailboat next to us could plug in when the power was off. Wasn't hard to put in and man did they appreciate it. She could cook great Canjun food and that was her way of saying thanks, miss those meals.
Old 07-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
We used one too plus we put "Damp-rid" all around to absorb moisture. You learn when living aboard that heat will generate moisture on a boat in the winter and you have to prepare for it. That is why we'll be in San Diego I don't want to have to shovel the dock every again. lol I remember shoveling the top of the boat one year because the snow was so heavy I worried about the weight on the decks and the top.

One good thing though with the 20kw diesel generator we had on board we were never with out power. I used to have an external plug on the boat so the people on the sailboat next to us could plug in when the power was off. Wasn't hard to put in and man did they appreciate it. She could cook great Canjun food and that was her way of saying thanks, miss those meals.
We had the ramp to the docks freeze one year. THe cart hit it... it was steep... the boat is now in St. Pete... enough said!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: