SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Working while living aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/77688-working-while-living-aboard.html)

Stede 08-17-2011 07:05 PM

Working while living aboard

I read a comment either here or another board that went something like this: 'Working while living aboard is kind of like being in prison minus the free weights and library." I'm sure the comment was made in jest, but since working while living aboard is exactly what I'm planning on doing for a couple of years, I would like to hear from anyone that has been living this type of lifestyle.Like most everything, I would imagine there are some pros, and cons? In another year I'll be eligible to start drawing a pension from a previous employer. My plan is to live aboard and work for a couple of years,sail as much as I can, save as much as I can, and then take off cruising full time some time shortly after my pension kicks in.I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has been on a similar heading.

aeventyr60 08-17-2011 07:36 PM

Yes. Never owned a house, moved onto a small boat 18 years ago. Worked and saved, sailed, bought a bigger bought, left the USA 12 years ago. have lived and worked aboard in several different countries as well. Whoever made that comment had their head up their ass. Also most of the time I worked from the boat, so my commute was all of 3 seconds.....I won't get into the pro's and cons'....Worked for me. How bad do you want it? How hard are you willing to work for it? What will you give up in order to get it? Good luck

Minnewaska 08-17-2011 07:52 PM

I don't work aboard per se, but I've taken some conferences and hate it. I don't even like putting on a suit and leaving for work, I prefer to return to my home and change there. The boat is where I go to forget work, as best I can. One thing I absolutely love about my marina is that no one has ever asked what I do for a living and I haven't asked them.

We did have a colleague that spent 6 months of each year on his boat, installed fax, sat phone, laptop, laster printer, etc and called in for every meeting. Connections were often hard and background noise was too. Those he was working with on land absolutely hated him for it. But, he was a jerk anyway so YMMV.

vega1860 08-17-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 763667)
Yes. Never owned a house, moved onto a small boat 18 years ago. Worked and saved, sailed, bought a bigger bought, left the USA 12 years ago. have lived and worked aboard in several different countries as well. Whoever made that comment had their head up their ass. Also most of the time I worked from the boat, so my commute was all of 3 seconds.....I won't get into the pro's and cons'....Worked for me. How bad do you want it? How hard are you willing to work for it? What will you give up in order to get it? Good luck

Well said. I lived aboard for 17 years while working as a sales and marketing executive. Since I was in Hawaii, suits were not required except when traveling to the mainland for meetings and such. Other liveaboards in the marina were police officers, airline crews, military personnel, technicians, musicians - a pretty fair cross section, but heavily male. It is a good life. It is better of course, now that I am retired :cool:

tomperanteau 08-17-2011 09:48 PM

We're 50/50. We live at our office 50 and at the boat 50. We love it, but wish we were on the boat more often. That's working itself out though. We'll be full time liveaboards soon.

It's a great life so far!

JanetGroene 09-18-2011 11:42 AM

People who live and travel fulltime in RV's use a free service called Workamper. Employers who have seasonal or temporary jobs to offer advertise with Workamper. People who need jobs can apply. Of course RVers can drive to the job site so a liveaboard would have to find a job they can get to. Many are on or near the water. The advantage is that it's temporary employment, no strings attached. What these employers are looking for are people who bring their own housing with them, so many jobs are ideal for liveaboards.

hellosailor 09-19-2011 04:31 PM

Janet, a lot of the Workamper web pages are down (404 errors) and much of the rest is a rather uninspiring diceo saying "give use your email address and subscribe".

Which makes them look a lot like the FTC's generic warnings about "work and make money form home" folks. Maybe they just need to hire a web designer...who could work from anywhere, huh?

imagine2frolic 09-19-2011 05:37 PM

Living on the hook would not be ideal. Living in a marina is no differnt than a home with a seperate garage.........i2f

JanetGroene 09-20-2011 07:59 AM

Workamper has five levels of membership so it's possible you are getting only the basic access. Upper level members get the Hotline and hop on the good jobs really fast. In this economy, we must be nimble. Thanks for your comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 776834)
Janet, a lot of the Workamper web pages are down (404 errors) and much of the rest is a rather uninspiring diceo saying "give use your email address and subscribe".

Which makes them look a lot like the FTC's generic warnings about "work and make money form home" folks. Maybe they just need to hire a web designer...who could work from anywhere, huh?

Tim R. 09-20-2011 09:55 AM

My wife and I both work while living aboard but we are berthed permanently(for now) in Portland, Maine and have jobs away from the boat although we do telecommute sometimes. We each work about 3 blocks from the boat so it is very convenient. Normal 8-5 jobs. Saving up the cruising kitty for a future trip.