Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011

Stede is on a distinguished road
Working while living aboard

I read a comment either here or another board that went something like this: 'Working while living aboard is kind of like being in prison minus the free weights and library." I'm sure the comment was made in jest, but since working while living aboard is exactly what I'm planning on doing for a couple of years, I would like to hear from anyone that has been living this type of lifestyle.Like most everything, I would imagine there are some pros, and cons? In another year I'll be eligible to start drawing a pension from a previous employer. My plan is to live aboard and work for a couple of years,sail as much as I can, save as much as I can, and then take off cruising full time some time shortly after my pension kicks in.I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has been on a similar heading.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Yes. Never owned a house, moved onto a small boat 18 years ago. Worked and saved, sailed, bought a bigger bought, left the USA 12 years ago. have lived and worked aboard in several different countries as well. Whoever made that comment had their head up their ass. Also most of the time I worked from the boat, so my commute was all of 3 seconds.....I won't get into the pro's and cons'....Worked for me. How bad do you want it? How hard are you willing to work for it? What will you give up in order to get it? Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-17-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I don't work aboard per se, but I've taken some conferences and hate it. I don't even like putting on a suit and leaving for work, I prefer to return to my home and change there. The boat is where I go to forget work, as best I can. One thing I absolutely love about my marina is that no one has ever asked what I do for a living and I haven't asked them.

We did have a colleague that spent 6 months of each year on his boat, installed fax, sat phone, laptop, laster printer, etc and called in for every meeting. Connections were often hard and background noise was too. Those he was working with on land absolutely hated him for it. But, he was a jerk anyway so YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-17-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Yes. Never owned a house, moved onto a small boat 18 years ago. Worked and saved, sailed, bought a bigger bought, left the USA 12 years ago. have lived and worked aboard in several different countries as well. Whoever made that comment had their head up their ass. Also most of the time I worked from the boat, so my commute was all of 3 seconds.....I won't get into the pro's and cons'....Worked for me. How bad do you want it? How hard are you willing to work for it? What will you give up in order to get it? Good luck
Well said. I lived aboard for 17 years while working as a sales and marketing executive. Since I was in Hawaii, suits were not required except when traveling to the mainland for meetings and such. Other liveaboards in the marina were police officers, airline crews, military personnel, technicians, musicians - a pretty fair cross section, but heavily male. It is a good life. It is better of course, now that I am retired
tomperanteau likes this.

Old 08-17-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
We're 50/50. We live at our office 50 and at the boat 50. We love it, but wish we were on the boat more often. That's working itself out though. We'll be full time liveaboards soon.

It's a great life so far!

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 09-18-2011

JanetGroene is on a distinguished road
People who live and travel fulltime in RV's use a free service called Workamper. Employers who have seasonal or temporary jobs to offer advertise with Workamper. People who need jobs can apply. Of course RVers can drive to the job site so a liveaboard would have to find a job they can get to. Many are on or near the water. The advantage is that it's temporary employment, no strings attached. What these employers are looking for are people who bring their own housing with them, so many jobs are ideal for liveaboards.
Old 09-19-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Janet, a lot of the Workamper web pages are down (404 errors) and much of the rest is a rather uninspiring diceo saying "give use your email address and subscribe".

Which makes them look a lot like the FTC's generic warnings about "work and make money form home" folks. Maybe they just need to hire a web designer...who could work from anywhere, huh?
Old 09-19-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Living on the hook would not be ideal. Living in a marina is no differnt than a home with a seperate garage.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-20-2011

JanetGroene is on a distinguished road
Workamper has five levels of membership so it's possible you are getting only the basic access. Upper level members get the Hotline and hop on the good jobs really fast. In this economy, we must be nimble. Thanks for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Janet, a lot of the Workamper web pages are down (404 errors) and much of the rest is a rather uninspiring diceo saying "give use your email address and subscribe".

Which makes them look a lot like the FTC's generic warnings about "work and make money form home" folks. Maybe they just need to hire a web designer...who could work from anywhere, huh?
Old 09-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
My wife and I both work while living aboard but we are berthed permanently(for now) in Portland, Maine and have jobs away from the boat although we do telecommute sometimes. We each work about 3 blocks from the boat so it is very convenient. Normal 8-5 jobs. Saving up the cruising kitty for a future trip.

-----------------------------------------------------