SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Marina Del Rey live aboard question

15K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Deaun6000 
#1 ·
My father has always kept a boat in Marina Del Rey so I grew up around it and love the sea. But I am at a time in my life where I would like make a change from land to sea living. I eventually plan to travel far and wide but will need to live in a marina on a boat I intend to purchase( in the 49 to 55 ft. range)in the mean time. I want to live aboard. I have seen "advertised" slip fees, yet know of at least 3 individules who''s rates are considerably lower. Is there some inside info I should know? A special hand-shake... wink wink? I also get the strong impression the Marina powers that be do not want live abords at all and discourage it. I thought that maybe it was a certain type of boat dweller they do not want, like the barge owner...who''s vessel is not even sea worthy and appears more suitble (and used as)the local hippy hangout and occational garge sale destination. Or the would-be homeless if it weren''t for uncle eddies 1969 seldom used sloop.

I don''t know? I would be purchasing a late model excellent cond 50 plus foot range Jeanneau or similar. I''m a writer and keep to my self -no pets and very clean/ I will eventually travel on my sloop but need a home base I can live at.

Anyone in charge of a friendly marina to liveaboards in Marina Del Rey ? Any info I should know? Any advice would be very helpfull.

See less See more
#2 ·
I''m currently living aboard a 38'' Downeast cutter with my wife in Ventura, CA. I would love to move to MDR as it''s much closer to my work but although there are waiting lists I haven''t found ANY liveaboard marinas accepting new tennants in MDR.

King Harbor would probably be your best bet.

-Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.