Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas... - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013

Windclimber is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Don't give too much heed to your friend who sends you "living aboard sucks" messages; give it the same grain of salt as people who say marraige sucks, living on the east cost or west coast sucks, etc. - their experience with any of these things is not necessarily a bit like yours will be. While it is true that living aboard a boat is definitely not for everyone, you'll never know if it's for you until you try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Hi there, thanks for the new replies. I just finished redoing the inside of my cabin. Again! Though, I still need to work out the galley... which had very heavy tile all over it. I used a crow bar, of all things, to remove the tile, but now it has fugly wood. I am seriously thinking of rebuilding the galley area, while using the existing drawer & doors, icebox, etc.

Also, picked up a haier 1.7 cu ft freezer (been jonesing for ice cream and hatch green chiles), and a 0.7 cu ft microwave. And, I changed up the dinette. Last post, I dropped the dinette table and picked up a twin bed mattress from ikea. It fit perfectly, but over time, I realized it was not all that comfortable.

So...

The mattress is now in my van, as a second bed. I tossed the dinette table in storage bc, even though I wanted to make a bench setup, didn't want to cut up that table. So, I picked up some 36" x 11" shelving from urban ore (in berkeley) for $6. I used the table as a pattern to get the angle, and now have a sort of u-shaped couch. Then, picked up a drop leaf table from ikea. Which is arguably, not the best setup, in that I have to scooch around it. But, since I'm fairly small, the scooching isn't too bad. lol Had the laptop hanging on a pulley system from a closet pole before, but needed more table room, without taking up too much space.

Also, since we do have mosquitos every now and then, and bees have been flying into my cabin, I picked up some mosquito netting from an army surplus store. It is hanging over my companion way. No more bees or mosquitos! Yay!

As for the naysayers? Not to worry. They finally realized that I really do love living aboard. Funny thing... I think some of my neighbors are fascinated with the various things I do with the boat. I've *always* got a jury rigged project of some sort going. One could argue that I'm somewhat of a marine hax0r. lol

Speaking of projects...

I scored a dinghy from craigslist. It's the west marine rollup 260. Came with dock wheels (which are absolutely great), a floating tow, and a perfectly fitting cover. Had oars & the air pump, of course. So, I spent part of the day making a dinghy dock. Then took the dink out for a spin. I've gotta learn how to row! I think I will also attach a bicycle mirror or some such, so I can see where I'm going. Or would that be rowing? Found out my right rowing is stronger than my left, but expect that to change by summers end. That, and that means good exercise too!

As for the live aboard slips? I will talk to them to see what gives. I know we had open LABs avail throughout last year. And, last I heard (a couple of months ago) they're hot to trot for getting more LABs. Once I get the scoop, I will pm you. And yeah, I am def motivated to see what I can do to get you in here. Afaics, this is the best marina in the bay area. That, and it would be great to actually learn how to... erm... mainly dock my boat. lol

And finally, the picasa thing. Yeah, I rebuilt my puter so my picasa got messed up. Also, if you're in the bay area, feel free to pm me. I'd be happy to show you my stuff. Though, beware, it's still a work in progress that may never complete, should I choose to move up. Which is, at this point, still just a maybe bc the biggest motivation for staying with my rig is the fact that she's paid for.

Whew! That was long, eh? lol
Old 06-09-2013

watsongs is on a distinguished road

Ahoy there -

I just came across this thread; I spent a bit of time going back and reading the history. I love your spirit! Back in the late 90's, my wife and I, along with our golden retriever. Live aboard a Paceship 26, pretty much the same as a C27. We were in Baltimore, so much close in the winter and hotter than hell in the summer, with 100% humidity to boot. But we loved it. Going sailing was a bit of a chore (packing everything up so it would crash on the first gust), so picked up a sunfish for cheap and kept it across the dock in the shallow side. Come home from work, grab a beer and the dog, haul up the halyard, and I'm underway in 5 minutes, relaxing in the sunset. I highly recommend a sailing dinghy; the small boats are a great way to learn, especially as the consequences (capsizing) are a bit closer to hand. You learn respect for the elements that a keelboater can ignore...

I'm in Sausalito myself; just picked up a Farallon 29 that needs interior workings. I'm curious about your live aboard marina; when I was looking for slips, they were all warning me that no liveaboards were allowed. Fortunately my GF lives close, so it will be more of a retreat, but I'd like the option...

I've taught sailing most of my life; PM me and I'd be happy to give you a hand getting comfortable with docking. As someone here said earlier, it's all about spring lines. And, as the Brits say, keeping calm and carrying on.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 06-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsongs View Post
Going sailing was a bit of a chore (packing everything up so it would crash on the first gust), so picked up a sunfish for cheap and kept it across the dock in the shallow side.
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking since I've been adding more "stuff" that isn't anchored down. So, that means, throw everything in the vberth every time I want to sail away... or do like you did and get a very small sailboat. I will look into the sunfish. Cuz, rowing ain't the same as sailing. Even though it still gets me out on the water. lol

Btw, wrt saus. They do have LABs there. You just need to get in the loop, then you can find something. Walking into a harbor master's office and asking, though... Well, as they say over there, LAB is a dirty word. Calling and asking is worse. But imho, that's mainly bc of some of the more negative issues, such as folk who are into drugs and alcohol, or just plain inconsiderate dock mates, end up causing the harbor masters all sorts of grief.

As for LABs on the estuary? Since your GF lives in saus, I would say, fuggedaboutit. Between the bridges in traffic, saus may as well be on the other side of the world. Now, otoh, sailing over... Yeah, that's not only doable, but way more pleasant. However, you'd still be faced with where to dock... unless you moored in Richardson Bay and took a dink to shore. Anyway, just my opinion. ymmv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsongs View Post
As someone here said earlier, it's all about spring lines. And, as the Brits say, keeping calm and carrying on.
Yup. Spring lines are wonderful things. Almost as good as duct tape. A friend and I were docking (his boat) at Jack London square and the spring line worked wonders! I think the main issue I have, at least, for now, is not having an extra person aboard in the event I get in a bind. It's the confidence (or lack thereof) factor. But yeah, totally agree about using spring lines.
Old 06-09-2013

zengirl is on a distinguished road

I too am looking for a retirement boat. I'm in Fl. This is the very last of my bucket list, I wish it had been the first!! I'm looking at 26,28' Cats. If that proves to be beyond my financial grasp, just like a woman, I'm going with the width of the beam, solar, maybe a Watkins or Island Packet. Just the thought of the possibilities fills me with joy!!! When I get my vessel, will definitely post and probably be a pain with my blogs looking for info.
Old 06-14-2013

bajaking is on a distinguished road

Hi Shadow -- apparently I can't respond to PMs until I have 15 posts, so I'll save everything I started writing for a future reply. But, to be brief: yes, please do let me know if you hear anything else; hopefully we'll be neighbors sometime soon.
And get your boat out there! Best piece of advice I ever got wrt docking: "go slow like a pro".
Old 06-27-2013

Latest and greatest update. Haven't done much work on the boat, as I've been out exploring the estuary. However, I am itching to take my rig out. Unfortunately, she has a ton of stuff that has to be stowed before disembarking. So, I've decided my next big project is to redo the galley. Though, I prolly won't start the real work on that till August, bc I am still playing around with ideas/plans. Was going to whip up a maya or max 3d model but you still can't really get the feel from those, so I've decided to cut up some card board... you know, play around with the ideas in RL 3D. lol

Last edited by shadowraiths; 06-27-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 07-12-2013

diverchick71 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to diverchick71

Just found this thread...we are in the process of buying our first sailboat. We're pretty much in the novice realm. Have done some day sailing on OPB's. I love to SUP and Sausalito has some awesome little areas to SUP. Any around the estuary and/or delta?
Old 07-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverchick71 View Post
Just found this thread...we are in the process of buying our first sailboat. We're pretty much in the novice realm. Have done some day sailing on OPB's. I love to SUP and Sausalito has some awesome little areas to SUP. Any around the estuary and/or delta?
I don't know anything about the delta. However, California Canoe & Kayak, located in Jack London Square, rents SUPs. And, on nice days, there are quite a few folks SUP'ing around the Estuary. Also, Oakland has just begun work to connect the estuary to Lake Merritt.

They just opened up the channel

as well as announcing the Estuary Waterfront Project.

While both projects will take time to complete, these changes will really add to exploring via SUP, canoes, kayaks, etcetera. Or, otherwise put, very kewl stuff ahead.

In the meantime, most of your exploring would be in the estuary proper. And, depending upon tides/winds, you could even paddle down to San Leandro bay, where there are lots of aquatic life (i.e., sea lions, bat rays, and even a stray dolphin, etc.). However, that is a very long paddle. As in several miles.
diverchick71 likes this.
Old 07-13-2013

diverchick71 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to diverchick71

"Miles" of SUP waters are the best, provided there is time. I'm trying to talk my boyfriend into THIS trip... (edited)

"was supposed to be a really cool YouTube link to a SUP trip in the Boundary Waters on the American/Canadian border but Sailnet apparently thinks I'm a bot and won't let me post a harmless link which I find annoying"

Anyway, yes, several miles on an SUP is totally doable...provided you have water, obliging weather, and distractions. I really want to do the Boundary Waters. My boyfriend agreed to canoe with all the camping gear, and I could SUP, as it's not really his thing. Thanks for the info! Hopefully we'll know about our plans soon. We plan to LAB but not immediately. We're in Sacramento so it requires job changes, etc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.