Time flies when you're having fun... or is that, when you don't know what you're doing? lol
Okay, latest and greatest. I've been doing a lot of dinghy stuff. Mostly running around in my dinghies. Yes, that's plural. The summer before last (that would be 2013
), I had an inflatable, which I eventually replaced with an 8' walker bay with a sail kit. I jury rigged a boom (it had a boomless gaff rig
) and learned how to spot wind on "windless days.
Fast forward to this last summer (2014
). I broke down and picked up a 30lb thrust trolling motor which I eventually sold to a neighbor and traded up to a 55lber. I added sacrificial zincs to both props, as well as greasing the shafts, and regularly rinsing them with fresh water after use. Both have held up well. Additionally, since I inherited a 10' zodiac RIB, I decided to pull my 8HP 4-stroke Mercury off my main rig and put it on the RIB. Which, weight-wise was a real challenge. That sucker weighs 90lbs. The first time I lifted the thing by attaching the boom vang to my main halyard to give me the leverage I needed within reaching distance (since I was lifting the thing by myself
). After that oh-so-fun experience, I decided to invest in a forspar nova lift. What a difference that thing makes!
Moving right along.
So, I was talking with a neighbor about my outboard, wondering if the thing even ran, since I had not been meticulous about firing it up. Yes, I know, bad bad bad. In any event, the guy tells me that he has an 8HP that I can have. He didn't know what it was. That is, whether it was a 2 or 4 stroke, what brand it was, or if it even ran. It turned out to be a 2-stroke Nissan.
So, now I have 2 8HP outboards, that may (or not
) run. In the mean time, the guy I gave the 30lber to, ended up having problems with the muffler on his main boat (the one he sails/and I regularly crew on
). So, I gave him the 8HP Nissan to use as an auxiliary until he gets his muffler done (which I'll be helping with, btw
). He decides he wants to try it out on his dink. But he wants to tune it up, first. You know, change the plugs, clean the carb, etcetera. So, we open up the motor, to take a look see. The thing is bright shiny clean. I've never seen a motor that clean! Oh, and it runs great, though, the compression is a tad on the light side. As for the Mercury? Purrs like a kitten.
Now, on to my latest/greatest project. Yes, I always have a project going. Whether it's boat stuff, computer stuff, or 3d printing stuff. lol But, I digress...
Dinghy chaps! Though, that bit got side-tracked, as I ended up redoing my cabin. Again. The up side is, this latest re-do, is def less jury rigged.
I've also been doing mini-jobs for other folk around the marina. Which has kept me busy.
On a side note: I've temporarily inherited a cat, who has long worn out her welcome, at least, to my mind. In that her "stuff
" takes up way too freakin much room. But that's another story for another day.
But, back to the dinghy chaps. While I have made the patterns, I haven't completely decided how I'll implement them but am hoping to finish them sooner than later. Then again, with the upcoming holidays, we'll see.
Oh, and. Am coming up on my 3 year anniversary, and I can say without a doubt, I still love living aboard. ^_~