Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas... - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

sep2x is on a distinguished road
We (me, hubby, small dog, and cat) are super comfortable on our 32' Downeaster (sailboat). She's beamy, full-keeled and roomy enough for us to not feel like we're sacrificing anything to live on her. We lived previously on our 27' catalina and it was much too small for us (though we're both tall, so having no headroom was one of our major concerns, some people fit just fine on smaller boats). If you want to check out our website, MaineLiveaboards | Where Mainers living on their boats can connect., please do! Even though you're on the other coast perhaps you can ask about what boats people have, etc. We looked and looked and looked, up and down the east coast -- when we finally found the one we liked it happened to be our town. Figures. Best of luck! The irwin 37's are super comfy (spacious) but not always ruggedly built for long-term cruising. Do you plan to leave the harbor or mostly just have a floating condo?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
SW - here's the blog of someone who's living your dream...
Diary of a Liveaboard
Old 11-29-2011

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the pointers. I've been viewing everything from 27 footers to 48 footers. The latter bc it was free and I was curious.

That said, I do have a Q wrt puters. Outside of lappies, tablets, that sort of thing. In other words, do people have full blown puters on board, and if so, what, if any, advice would you offer to a would be cruiser/liveaboard?
Old 11-30-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Everything you will do will have space in mind. Often, you simply won't have something at all because it won't fit or will take up too much space. As recently as this past weekend, I wanted to get a simple plastic filing box for manuals, which are piled in a locker. The box won't fit in the locker, nor under the nav station......, therefore, no box.

I don't actually live aboard, other than 4 days per week for 6 months, with a few week long stretches.

I use an iPad and it does absolutely everything I need aboard. Internet, email, charts, gps, Netflix, skype and more. Takes up no room at all and has a battery life that is twice that of most laptops.

If you have a windows requirement (many just convince themselves they do), a laptop or tablet usually easily fits in the nav table or elsewhere. A full box computer with keyboard and monitor would be an extraordinary waste of space and difficult to secure when underway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-30-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Good luck with your search! I'm excited for you! One day I plan to do the same thing...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 11-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Hey, how'd I miss this thread? Minne has it right - its totally about space. Re computer, we have laptops. Besides the space issue, it's as much about the power requirement as anything - laptop can exist on its battery where a regular machine can't.

We're two people beginning our 10th year fulltime aboard a CSY33, which is plenty roomy for us. And loving every minute of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Everything you will do will have space in mind. Often, you simply won't have something at all because it won't fit or will take up too much space.
Yup, that is what I'm learning. While I do not yet have a boat, I am in the process of off-loading stuff. Mainly my gadzillion books. Okay, that's a tad over-exaggeration. But you get the drift. ^_~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you have a windows requirement (many just convince themselves they do.
The majority of design software I use is windoze based. Though, I'm trying to disabuse myself of that. ;P Seriously, though, I run several web sites and do a great deal of software design & implementation. I also write, draw, and other artsy-fartsy stuff.

The web sites are hosted on a co-lo server and therefore easily accessible & maintainable via the web and/or an ssh terminal. In other words, my macbook & ipad, or even iphone, if need be, is sufficient for managing those.

The software design & implementation is another story altogether. Coding doesn't require much in the way of either proc or memory space. I write tight code! 3D gfx, otoh, requires heavy duty proc & mem. I could, arguably get away with a windoze lappie for the coding bit. Not so for the 3d gfx.

As for the writing & drawing? Am using pages & sketchbook on my iPad. Here is an example of some recent iPad sketches... my first try at using sketchbook.

https://picasaweb.google.com/vrhacks/IPadSketches

I'm also using Numbers for my main spreadsheet program. I'm admittedly almost obsessive about budgeting.

But, I digress. I am in the proc of migrating most of my design & implementation work to the mac. I will toss, or rather store on my co-lo server for a rainy day, what can't be migrated. This way I can kick my windoze box to the curb.

I do however have a NAS box. While I was hoping to take it aboard, from what I'm reading, it would be problematic. Though, this bit has less to do with space issues (as I could easily retrofit it to a smaller footprint), and more to do with issues of corrosion due to salt air intake and potential disk head crashes due to being jostled around. And, of course, power consumption.

Anyway, that's where I am in the puter angle portion of this process.

Oh and. In case you haven't figured out by now, I'm a major geek. Though, I generally refer to myself as a techno-dweeb. ^_~
Old 11-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I had an article (Good Old Boat??) about building your own computer onboard. The author had built a computer into the space he had and hence did not the case to worry about. Generally there is a lot of space of a sailboat but it exists in small to medium sized chunks that are often oddly shaped. If you build in the computer you might be able to use some of these spots - works well at a chart table.

Current usage I am not so sure about, but I think the author of the article had found a 12v computer system somewhere so it saved relying on shore power or a genset or inverter.
Old 12-01-2011

Wasn't able to find the article you're referring to, killarney. I did however find this interesting wiki.

Onboard Computers - Boat Design Wiki
Old 12-03-2011

Umeds? is on a distinguished road
Standing headroom. If it has that anywhere then it's good enough.