Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas... - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Headroom won't be a prob. I'm very short.

Anyway, think (hope?) I found one. Will get marine survey done this week, then haggle, then (hopefully) move aboard. :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2011

Got my boat (1972 c27). Finish up paperwork tomorrow. Now begins the real work. :-)
wingNwing and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 12-13-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Congrats! Post some pics when you get a chance!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-13-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
Got my boat (1972 c27). Finish up paperwork tomorrow. Now begins the real work. :-)
Catalina's are great production boats. There are so many of them, that owner's groups, tech and parts support abound. You'll always be able to get help or information for your boat.

I kind of wish that you had been able to score a C-30 to live on. For a short, single woman, it would be positively palatial. It's amazing what only 3 extra feet in LOA gets you- it's also 2 feet wider! It equates to a lot of square footage. But, I'm sure that the C27 will work out ok.

I sincerely hope that you will actually go sailing, and not become a "Condo-Commander" that grows a reef on the bottom of your boat.

Good luck.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Congrats! Post some pics when you get a chance!
Here are some pics. https://picasaweb.google.com/vrhacks/C27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Catalina's are great production boats. There are so many of them, that owner's groups, tech and parts support abound. You'll always be able to get help or information for your boat.

I kind of wish that you had been able to score a C-30 to live on. For a short, single woman, it would be positively palatial. It's amazing what only 3 extra feet in LOA gets you- it's also 2 feet wider! It equates to a lot of square footage. But, I'm sure that the C27 will work out ok.

I sincerely hope that you will actually go sailing, and not become a "Condo-Commander" that grows a reef on the bottom of your boat.

Good luck.
Maybe go for a c30 next year. After I've learned to sail. :-)
Old 12-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Congrats and enjoy her.

In case you didn't notice, the prior owner left their cat behind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In case you didn't notice, the prior owner left their cat behind.
Lol, I wish. He's a friendly cat. She said he fell in the water a couple of nights ago, and when she got home from work, he was totally soaked and yowling up a storm.
Old 12-21-2011

K, a mini (or maybe not so mini) update.

Haven't completely made the break from land, yet. So, here's where I'm at at this point.

Purchased the boat a little over a week ago. Sent in the registration papers. Have boat insured. Have moved minimal "stuffs" onboard. Haven't moved puters onboard, yet. In fact, I may end up setting them up at a friends place and networking in from the boat, when necessary. I do have my macbook, iPad, & iPhone in tow... along with my mobile wifi (which I rarely use due to metering). Dried out the bilge and noted the date, just to be sure the water bit was from natural condensation, etc. Washed down the deck, though need to do a more serious job. You know, the elbow grease, scrubbing sort. But want to read up on the right way to do boat detail. And frankly, making the boat "pretty" is not at the top of my list atm. Rewired the shore power. While it's less gerry rigged than before, I still need to implement a more long term solution after I decide exactly what I want. Picked up some dock rope. The PO was using the sail sheets to tie anchor the boat to the dock! In fact, one was tied to the bow sprit rail.

As for latest, greatest challenges. The guy where the boat is presently docked changed his mind about the liveaboard bit and has given me till the first to move her. While I was planning to move her to Sausalito, having this sort of added pressure was unexpected. In any event, will be looking at a few other options aside from my primary fallback option (moving her to the working dock). Either way, outside of losing my front row view of events like the parade of lights, I certainly won't miss the barge that parks just yards from the boat, makes tons of obnoxious noise *and* pollution, and blocks my view of the fugly boat yard across from me.

All things considered, outside of the stress of where I'm gonna moor the boat, things seem to be going ok. Sleeping has been great. In fact, my sub-zero sleeping bag that I bought years ago for backpacking in the Colorado Rockies has come in awesomely handy. I have also figured out that I don't really want to bring anything outside of *pure necessities* onboard. Mainly bc I don't really like clutter. That, and the fewer "stuffs" I need to tie down for sailing, the better. The latter is why, btw, I decided to ditch the dorm room fridge and just rely upon the icebox.

Hmmm, that's about it for now. We'll see how I really feel once I'm fully aboard. Though, I do think once everything is finalized wrt where I'll be mooring the boat, I will be able to finally relax and enjoy life aboard.
Old 12-21-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Awesome, hope everything goes your way! Keep us posted.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-21-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
K, a mini (or maybe not so mini) update.

I do have my macbook, iPad, & iPhone in tow... along with my mobile wifi

Quote:
I don't really want to bring anything outside of *pure necessities* onboard.

What some people consider "Pure necessities"

Well, you are not out cruising yet.

We agree that a notebook computer is a necessity in the modern world. Also a cell phone. We actually have two laptops now - one for backup - because it's cheaper, lighter and takes up less space than paper charts for everywhere we might end up (But we still carry paper charts for coastal areas we intend to visit). Our cell phones are $15 Trac Phones - no monthly bills and cheap to replace when they fail from the inevitable wetting or corrosion from salt spray on the boat.

Having said all that, we recognize that it is a matter of personal preference and lifestyle. After spending a few months in SF Bay, we can see how those baubles might be considered pure necessities. For us they are just expensive toys. As they say "What ever floats your boat"

As for the live aboard thing: After 22 years of living aboard in many different marinas and harbors, including San Francisco Bay, we have found that there is always a way.

A positive attitude and cheerful demeanor are the keys to success in almost everything, we find.

The Crew
SV Lealea
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.