Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas... - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
What some people consider "Pure necessities"
Lol. What can I say? It's my inner geek. Have been mentally convincing myself to leave desktops on shore or even kick them to the curb. Mainly bc a) they take up way too much space, b) they are more prone to failures due to sea air, and c) the data they serve is already on external drives that I could just store somewhere (or even burn to DVDs) & bring out when/if I were unable to access my remote servers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2011

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Would the new solid state hard drives make a computer better in a marine environment? No moving parts and all...?
Old 12-26-2011

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on buying your first boat and making the steps towards living aboard. We began livingaboard a catalina 27 back in the 80's. We lived on her for 9 years including 8 cold Canadian winters and one beautiful year when we cruised south to the Bahamas.

Catalinas are good boats.

Enjoy the life afloat.

Robyn and Manny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2011

Found a LAB slip. Will be moving boat to her new home this weekend. I'm totally psyched! :-)
Old 12-31-2011

pcogs is on a distinguished road
my experience

I used to live aboard a 36 Marine Trader trawler style boat. I know it's not a sailboat, but many of thing things I noticed will still apply.
First I would start by saying that I was crazy, I had no experience owning a larger boat with things like electrical systems, plumbing systems, heating or cooling etc. I was in my early 20's and really had no idea how to fix anything and maintenance was not something I was keen on at all. But the moment I bought the boat I was hooked. I loved it. I used to work in Manhattan NY, but I hated city life, although I did enjoy the social aspects. So I kept the boat right across the Hudson River in Weehawken NJ. I loved waking up and looking at the NY skyline. It was beautiful. I loved that I had a marina with an awesome steam shower, work out room, and entertainment room. Right across the street was a Houlihans restaraunt, a Ruth's Chris steakhouse and a short cab ride or ferry ride away was all the fun either Hoboken NJ or Manhattan could provide.
Living on the dock with all the "interesting" people that decide to live on boats was great also. Coming home from work on a Friday evening always resulted in 4 or 5 offers to stop by for a beer or some food as I passed the other boaters. Usually there would be a group just hanging out and enjoying themselves and it was always just kind of nice knowing that there was always company to enjoy.
Now to the nitty gritty, I was woefully unprepared for all things I would eventually find out I knew nothing about.
I'm running short on time so here is a list of some of the things I can think of off the top of my head.
Never enough electricity, always popping circuits one way or another.
Everything was always much more expensive on a bigger boat ( i was used to my 17' Boston Whaler)
Humidity, humidity, humidity in the winter the condensation on the windows was ridiculous. The rest of the time it was just unbearable.
Laundry-I don't know but I always seemed to use more clothes living on the boat.
Space- there were always so many things I thought I needed and never really did, and also so many things I could have used but didn't realize.
How little I would use the boat because I never wanted to stow all the things that just living on board accumulated.

All that said, I loved it and lived aboard for over 2 years until I decided to sell the boat and buy an even larger one. I actually sold the boat for $5k more than I paid for it, but never did manage to buy the bigger boat. I found a cool apartment and bought that instead. Now almost 20 years later I'm looking to do it again. I loved that time of my life. All the people I met were great and they all helped me whenever I needed help. I certainly took more from others than I could give, but I don't think any of them minded. They were great people.

As far as picking the smallest you could deal with, I'm not sure I agree. The biggest thing I would recommend is make a real decision about the kind of person you are. Are you really planning on getting out and sailing a lot or are you more interested in the lifestyle of living aboard. The two are somewhat at odds with each other and finding the right compromise is the most important thing in my mind. If you are not going to leave the dock that often, and in my experience that was much less than I thought I would, than bigger is better. Comfort is key and space and storage are super important.
Minnewaska and shadowraiths like this.
Old 12-31-2011

Another update.

Sailed her to new home today. Well, the delivery guy did. I just manned (or would that be wo-manned?) the tiller. He did all the hard work... raising/trimming the sails, that sort of thing. The day was gorgeous. Sunny, beam wind, ... perfect. There were a few people sailing... taking advantage of the Sun. Not many, though. I suspect there will be more tomorrow as we are expecting near 70 temps, tomorrow.

Hmm... what's left? Well, lessee, I cut the land-line umbilical (ala comcast) today. Am relying upon mobile wifi now. Believe it or not, that was the hardest, actually canceling the land line services. lol But anyway, still have to move my "stuff" outta my apt and either sell it, give it away, or move it into storage. It'll probably be a combo of the latter two.

As for the important part, you know, the sailing bit? Looks like I'll need to inventory the rigging which, from what we can tell, needs a complete redo. Stuff was routed bass-ackwards. We made do, but will need to revisit and correct before I take her out again.

Oh and. Love the new place, too. It's very upscale, resort-ish.

And finally, importantly. Happy New Year! :-)
Old 01-01-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
congrats, what a great way to start the year!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-01-2012
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
New Year...New Life!!! Congrats and good luck.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 01-02-2012

dave22q is on a distinguished road
you might consider splitting your live aboard and sailing interests. a combination of a liveaboard boat possibly with no motor and a small 18-24 sailboat to learn and explore on.
i suspect you would invest a lot less money and could learn more about what you really want- live aboard/seldom move or move under tow v. cruser. type of boat is also impacted by kind of sailing you want- daysailer, weekender, coastal crusier, or off shore. narrowing your criteria will help avoid some painful missteps
Old 01-02-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the community! We're living aboard on the US East Coast and finding it to be an easy and rewarding life. Take care an joy, Aythya crew