SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

43K views 128 replies 51 participants last post by  Pendrith 
#1 ·
K, I'm gonna put this out here, though I still have a ton to research...

I've been wanting to live on a boat for years. At this point however, I haven't decided what size/model would make sense. I do realize that decision is largely dependent upon lifestyle, etc.

I'm aiming for a fix-me-upper bc I like to fix things. At the same time, I don't want something that needs serious overhauling just to live on. My goal is to be settled aboard in time to take sailing lessons by next summer. I would fall into the very very novice sailor category, btw. As all I've done is to crew during sail boat races here in the SF Bay area. And that was actually some time ago. So, yeah, I'd need sailing lessons.

But anyway...

I've had 35 footer in the back of my mind but that's likely bc the boat I crewed on was a 35 Santana. Very nice, very roomy (to me). At the same time, after reading this forum, I'm noticing a lot of people seem to be going for 27 to 30 footers. So, I'm beginning to think that might be a better size. For a number of reasons, the least of which, it would cost less to buy/upkeep, and would be easier to for a single, small, female, to sail.

Um, will add more as I think of it. And thanks in advance for ideas, advice, etcetera!

See less See more
#2 ·
Early days for you yet.. Do you know that you can arrange legal liveaboard moorage? or do you plan to 'anchor off' - and if so are there good, safe, secure areas to do that and is there handy shore access?

There are plenty of 30 footers that would be decent liveaboards for a single person, the Catalina 30, or Newport 30 probably would be good inexpensive candidates. However I think you need to spend some time researching boats, the associated costs and maintenance issues before committing to this plan. It all sounds romantic and all, but in reality legal liveaboard (with services like power etc) is rarely truly a 'cheap' way to live.

Reactions: souljour2000
#3 ·
Yup, very early days. So, doing a lot of reading and visiting various marinas, etc. Am looking at 35 foot liveaboard slip in Sausalito. It's on a private pier... not a yacht club... so, the cost, is reasonable. Of course, it doesn't have the amenities but that's fine by me.

Imho, my biggest challenge will be to find a boat that's seaworthy, that doesn't need emergency repair, so to speak. I don't mind working on a boat, learning how to repair stuff. In fact, I think it would be prudent to educate myself wrt that sort of thing. I just don't want to have to worry about the thing sinking in the middle of the night while I'm trying to sleep. And yeah, once I move to the next step, I'll hire a professional surveyor.

As for living on the hook? I may consider so later. However, at this point, I want to ensure I even like living on a boat, first. Hence, the slip for at least a year. For me, this is something I've long wanted to do. Figured I should at least try it out before arthritis, alzheimers, or all the other wonderful old-age stuff sets in! And hey, if it turns out that I hate it, at least I can say, "I tried!" ^_~

#7 ·
From what I have seen, the 35 foot range is where you get the shower and head...My Santana 30 has no shower. On a live aboard that may be a crucial thing. You can always add one, but that could be pricey depending on the boat. So I would look into one already there. A Santana 35 is a great boat...but is it an easy single handed boat? I bought a Santana 30 from a guy who upgraded to a Santana 35. From what I see its a lot more to handle solo. Not that it can't be done especially if rigged for single and shorthanded sailing.

#8 ·
In re liveaboard berth availability.

That is generally true. It def was during the dot bomb era, and the primary reason I did not go liveaboard back then.

However, at this point, its a buyer's market, so many are selling boats + transferrable berths. Additionally, some are just up and walking away from their boats, leaving the dock owners to clean up the mess (i.e., getting legal title changes, hauling the boats out if they're beyond repair, selling them, etcetera). There are a lot of them that are losing money right now. So, some are even open to someone walking in, taking over slip payments, including paying the in arrears, and paying the fees to get the title, tax, etc transferred over. Most of those boats need work. Not surprisingly. After all, someone who would walk away like that is not likely to truly care for their vessel. The more responsible boat owners are, of course, trying to sell their boats while offering transferable berths. I haven't seen many where they're selling the berths as well, though, I have been keeping an eye out for those, too. Nonetheless, I'm looking at and am open to any of the three scenarios... weighing the pros & cons, etc.

In re the Santana 30. How do you like it? I take it you're living on it, right? I notice a lot of Catalina 30s, and there are a couple of Lancer 30s that appear to be decent but haven't seen any Santana 30s. At least at this point.

Btw, and aside. Wrt whether I'll like living aboard? A very close friend of mine regularly texts me with the latest "why you don't want to live aboard" messages. He's a sailor, lived aboard for about a year, and says he won't try that again. I def welcome that perspective, esp shoulda coulda wouldas. You know, what you would have done differently if you had known. Am also interested in cases that failed and why. The main thing I've been seeing is, go smaller, not bigger. Which has caused me to rethink the target boat size.

And finally, I've been combing this thread bc it goes into a lot of tech details.

Selecting the Ideal Liveaboard Monohull Sailboat - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

#9 ·
I am not living on it...its Moored 10 minutes from my house though so its very close. In my opinion the Santana 30 is a weekender at most comfortably. Its roomy inside and has all you would need and sleeps about 6, but its not the way I'd like to live. The Santana 30 was a racing boat in its day so they didn't design in long term accommodations. It could be added, but if thats not what you are going for then find a different boat in my opinion.

#11 · (Edited)
More about my dream and where I'm coming from

My parents had big dreams. They were ended when my dad fell, broke his neck, and became a quadraplegic at age 50. I guess that informed my world view.

I generally set a goal and a time frame and go for it. Once I've achieved it, I set another goal. Most of my long term goals have been career related. I achieved them all. I'm driven like that. I recently returned to school to get my masters. I enjoyed it, learned a lot. Of course, the older I get the more I realize how much I don't know. Then again, life's like that. I prefer it that way.

Living on a boat has always been in the back of my mind. Or perhaps, not always... it began germinating in the mid-80s when I came very close to purchasing a liveaboard just outside of Chelsea, MA. Someone beat me to it by literally a few minutes by offering the seller cash. Looking back, I suspect I would have failed miserably, as I did not research, did not plan, was just gonna do it.

Reality has pretty much kept that particular dream at bay, I had kids to send to college, bills to pay, jet setting to do, goals to meet... and *tons* of stuff. The latter was the deal breaker for me. My *stuff* came in the form of books. I read a lot. And even though I had begun to downsize, I still lugged my books everywhere I went. That barrier has since been removed. Thanks to the kindle.

A lot has changed since then. My kids are grown w/families of their own and I've downsized considerably in preparation for a mobile life. I assume I will have to downsize further to live on a boat.

Since I do not know for certain that I'll really like "living the dream" or rather, what I perceive that dream to be, I plan to store enuf stuff (i.e., bed, dresser, that sort of thing) to revert to land dwelling if necessary. Call me chicken but hey. What can I say? I'm too old and pragmatic to not have a little bit of a safety net. In the meantime, I'm doing a lot of reading, visiting marinas, talking with various liveaboards, etc.

#12 ·
I get the impression that you have figured out that finding a boat for living on and a boat for travelling on may be two different things. We had a young woman friend in New York who lived on an old Seafarer. The engine did not work and the sails looked like rags (not sure she really knew how to sail), but she had setup the boat for very comfortable living aboard.

As you say, there are lots of boats avaiable at very low prices so you can be choosing. If you want something that it is easier to singlehand, two things you will want are a reliable autopilot since you will need to be running around doing stuff and a good pilot makes this much easier and really good winches - self-tailing if at all possible, at least for the jib primaries, and oversized if possible to reduce the amount of power needed. Many manufacturers, particularly at the bottom end of the market, tended to put minimally-sized winches on to keep the sticker price down. Some people upsized them at purchase or later (perhaps when they wanted self-tailers to replace non self-taliers). Guess what I am saying is that there can be considerable differences between boats that are nominally the same.

Not sure that there are too many of them on the left coast, but a Nonsuch 30 Ultra (even a 26 Ultra) would be a good liveaboard. They are very beamy which makes them quite large for their LOA. The Classic model Nonsuchs are cheaper but you would have to decide if one of them would do the trick for you.

#13 ·
Yes, I have reached that point in my research. For me, it will be finding the right mix of the two.

Then again...

Late last night one of my neighbors comes knocking. Says he found me a boat. We'll be checking it out tonight, but here's what I know, so far.

It's a columbia 32/34 racer. He said something about how it's not really a 32 *or* a 34, and how during the last year of manufacture, they cut the boat down the middle and added some length. I have absolutely no idea what that means.

It's going for cheap as in a song and a dance cheap. As in, red flags waving all over, cheap. The big however is... the gentleman who owns it is in the hospital, dying, and needs to get rid of it but wants to give it to someone who would care for it... someone who would love it. Which makes it less red flaggy-ish, imo.

My neighbor said he'd take it but the ceiling is too low. He says I won't have any head room probs. I asked him a few things about the boat. For example, since it's a racer, I'm thinking it's gonna have a more narrow beam. He says the beam is about 10' but wasn't sure what the draft is. I'll be researching that bit today. He doesn't know what it's equipped with, from the living angle, though, he seems to think it has a head, at the very least. He also doesn't know if it comes with the slip but said he would be more than happy to sail it over to the slip that I already have earmarked.

All in all, I guess I will find out the important stuff tonight.

Anyway... if anyone has any experience/knowledge of this model, please, please, feel free to share. I'm especially looking for the cons. Why I would not want it, etcetera. Try to talk me out of it bc those arguments are what I'll be considering when I'm looking at the thing.

#14 ·
K, mini-updated. The columbia turned out to be a total wash. The guy flaked on me. Though, from what I can tell, it was def a project boat.

Next up. Went to look at a 37' Irwin with a transferable liveaboard slip. It's a pretty boat but from what I can tell, it is also a project boat. While the live space seems to have been kept up, the rest has not. Therefore, it would need a new engine, sails & sail covers, rigging, and sheets. Additionally, the bottom hasn't been painted for years. In fact, it needs a new paint job. And the brightwork is pretty much toast. Then, there's the size issue. I am actually looking for smaller as opposed to larger. Though, from a liveaboard standpoint, it is certainly sweet. That is, again, the interior has been kept up. The *big* however, and imho, deal breaker, is the other work. It's sorta like a house. Buy something that isn't kept up and pay for unexpected yet required maintenance.

Anyway, that's my update for now. Am still researching. :)

#15 ·
Persistance

We are quite comfortable on our Vega 27, a couple and their cat, cruising the Pacific and living aboard now for more than fifteen years together. We spent five months last winter and spring in the SF Bay. We found that most marinas have a lower limit of 36 feet LOD for live-aboards. We got around it by being transients which limits you to 120 days in any one marina. We have found that there is always a way.

#18 ·
there has been an Alberg 30 for sale on bay area cl for 5k, may be worth looking at. I have one and can say it is a great sailing, seaworthy boat. it is very simple! there is a single guy and his gf living on another A30 in our marina and find it quite comfy! i plan to cruise mine sooner than later! many good deals out there to be had!

#19 ·
Because so many liveaboard boats never leave the marina, you are likely to find that many have deferred maintenance. Some you can tell as you walk down the dock, others are less obvious. No need to worry about sails, running or standing rigging, winch cleaning or how fresh the oil is in the diesel, if you never leave the slip. That is not an absolute, just something to think about as you shop. Good luck and enjoy.

#20 ·
I wouldn't let anyone tell you why you don't want to live aboard. Yes I am new to the liveaboard life and had to deal with finding the right boat, in our case an Endeavour 32 for me the 1st mate and a cat, we were very lucky to find such a great boat. We have been aboard for just over a year now and have traveled up and down the southern east coast enjoying every day. Yes I have had to do repairs along the way but you will find that with brand new boats.

Reactions: Nancyleeny
#21 ·
We (me, hubby, small dog, and cat) are super comfortable on our 32' Downeaster (sailboat). She's beamy, full-keeled and roomy enough for us to not feel like we're sacrificing anything to live on her. We lived previously on our 27' catalina and it was much too small for us (though we're both tall, so having no headroom was one of our major concerns, some people fit just fine on smaller boats). If you want to check out our website, MaineLiveaboards | Where Mainers living on their boats can connect., please do! Even though you're on the other coast perhaps you can ask about what boats people have, etc. We looked and looked and looked, up and down the east coast -- when we finally found the one we liked it happened to be our town. Figures. Best of luck! The irwin 37's are super comfy (spacious) but not always ruggedly built for long-term cruising. Do you plan to leave the harbor or mostly just have a floating condo?

#23 ·
Thanks for all the pointers. I've been viewing everything from 27 footers to 48 footers. The latter bc it was free and I was curious.

That said, I do have a Q wrt puters. Outside of lappies, tablets, that sort of thing. In other words, do people have full blown puters on board, and if so, what, if any, advice would you offer to a would be cruiser/liveaboard?

#24 ·
Everything you will do will have space in mind. Often, you simply won't have something at all because it won't fit or will take up too much space. As recently as this past weekend, I wanted to get a simple plastic filing box for manuals, which are piled in a locker. The box won't fit in the locker, nor under the nav station......, therefore, no box.

I don't actually live aboard, other than 4 days per week for 6 months, with a few week long stretches.

I use an iPad and it does absolutely everything I need aboard. Internet, email, charts, gps, Netflix, skype and more. Takes up no room at all and has a battery life that is twice that of most laptops.

If you have a windows requirement (many just convince themselves they do), a laptop or tablet usually easily fits in the nav table or elsewhere. A full box computer with keyboard and monitor would be an extraordinary waste of space and difficult to secure when underway.

#27 ·
Everything you will do will have space in mind. Often, you simply won't have something at all because it won't fit or will take up too much space.
Yup, that is what I'm learning. While I do not yet have a boat, I am in the process of off-loading stuff. Mainly my gadzillion books. Okay, that's a tad over-exaggeration. But you get the drift. ^_~

If you have a windows requirement (many just convince themselves they do.
The majority of design software I use is windoze based. Though, I'm trying to disabuse myself of that. ;P Seriously, though, I run several web sites and do a great deal of software design & implementation. I also write, draw, and other artsy-fartsy stuff.

The web sites are hosted on a co-lo server and therefore easily accessible & maintainable via the web and/or an ssh terminal. In other words, my macbook & ipad, or even iphone, if need be, is sufficient for managing those.

The software design & implementation is another story altogether. Coding doesn't require much in the way of either proc or memory space. I write tight code! 3D gfx, otoh, requires heavy duty proc & mem. I could, arguably get away with a windoze lappie for the coding bit. Not so for the 3d gfx.

As for the writing & drawing? Am using pages & sketchbook on my iPad. Here is an example of some recent iPad sketches... my first try at using sketchbook.

https://picasaweb.google.com/vrhacks/IPadSketches

I'm also using Numbers for my main spreadsheet program. I'm admittedly almost obsessive about budgeting.

But, I digress. I am in the proc of migrating most of my design & implementation work to the mac. I will toss, or rather store on my co-lo server for a rainy day, what can't be migrated. This way I can kick my windoze box to the curb.

I do however have a NAS box. While I was hoping to take it aboard, from what I'm reading, it would be problematic. Though, this bit has less to do with space issues (as I could easily retrofit it to a smaller footprint), and more to do with issues of corrosion due to salt air intake and potential disk head crashes due to being jostled around. And, of course, power consumption.

Anyway, that's where I am in the puter angle portion of this process.

Oh and. In case you haven't figured out by now, I'm a major geek. Though, I generally refer to myself as a techno-dweeb. ^_~

#26 ·
Hey, how'd I miss this thread? Minne has it right - its totally about space. Re computer, we have laptops. Besides the space issue, it's as much about the power requirement as anything - laptop can exist on its battery where a regular machine can't.

We're two people beginning our 10th year fulltime aboard a CSY33, which is plenty roomy for us. And loving every minute of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.