Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas... - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013

walt is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

As an aspiring liveaboard, this thread was extremely educational and a great read. I especially liked hearing about your fixes to problems, and things you did to make your living experience more comfortable, shadowraiths.

I've noticed a lot of threads get started and then never updated again, really refreshing to see the progression here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Thanks, walt.

I set up my lappie table with a pulley system so I can raise it up out of the way... for example, when I needed room for the sewing machine to sew my cabin curtains. Which, btw, I love. Besides providing added privacy & shade, the curtains really spruce up the place. As for my hanging table, I can also just slide the table out of the way when I'm not doing puter stuff.

The bulkhead is tacky... I know. lol.

I used shelving contact paper that I picked up from the dollar store and colored out the seams with a magic marker. The bolts were painted over, so I used fingernail polish remover to remove the paint, then removed each bolt, and popped it through the contact paper as opposed to trying to cut around them. This way, I could decide if I want to redo the bulkheads with decent wood, to get a feel for how the finished product might look, without spending a lot of money up front.

Last edited by shadowraiths; 02-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Shadowraiths,
Nice to hear others with the geek-fliction are making the leap. Among the hurdles/opportunities of all the normal things that go along with minimizing ones life enough to migrate onboard full time. I have a pile of server hw I need to figure out what to do with. I really should look at a colo of sorts in the end, but its not really in my budget right now to house my cab in a DC, would imagine you know how expensive this can get. work will let me fire up some extra gear in the cage at there DC for now. But my HW is the hardest thing I am having an issue detaching from, I run alot of different things on it and it serves MANY functions, dev/prod/lab, in my life/career.

Wondering what your input on this is?

Also have done several "carputer" installations in my volkswagens through the years, and recommend looking at some of the sites related to that, all DC power so no loss through inversion of the signal nor need for gear that does an unnecessary function and can fail w/out notice. Also really good things coming out of the pico-ITX embedded hw these days.. Pico-ITX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-23-2013

Yeah, I get the hardware issue. I ended up picking up a shuttle, and cannibalizing my other puter. It's set up with an i3, 16G ram, 500G internal hard drive for the OS, dvd drive, and external hard drives for data. The primary downside about this particular setup is that it only has two expansion slots and a 350W power supply. This limits what I can do with it (i.e., adding a high end gfx card which would take up the two slots and requires a larger power supply, for example). I'm presently hanging my 21" monitor from a pole that runs from the companionway to the bulkhead, similar to the way I have my laptop table setup. I would prefer a setup like this.

Some of my dock mates use a monitor mounting arm attached to the bulkhead. That allows them to fold the thing out of the way when they're not using it. As for the keyboard/mouse, I'm running a usb cable to a usb hub, as opposed to using a wireless kb/mouse.

If I were cruising, or doing a day sail, for that matter. All of this stuff would get packed away. In the event I needed to do any coding, I would rely upon my laptop, with a usb temporary storage, and backup it up every now and then to my web server, or one of the cloud services I use. Assuming, that is I had inet connectivity.

That said, there really are different considerations here. For example, I'm sitting in a slip with shore power and cable. And as such, I enjoy the "luxuries" of having a full blown network setup, and am even considering picking up another shuttle to setup as a nas. If however, I were cruising, I would do things differently due to not only power constraints and connectivity (or lack thereof) but also space considerations.

Btw, and aside, you might find some useful ideas from this guy's site. He's using pillow blocks to mount his monitor to the pole in the above pic. I wrote him and asked! lol
slax likes this.
Old 02-23-2013

Nice, thanks for the link and input. Been fun stripping it down, feel in the end as I am pretty close to packed to move out.. big gear aside. I can make it work pretty well, with my gig being unix admin I use way less graphics, terminals mostly. an IM in the background, some other stuff going but can for the most part run in a very minimal power save mode. Even using a monochrome setting on the monitor will slice a few watts of its end use draw.

I remember somewhere in a thread someone saying the power save of ssd vs. hdd was negligible. imo it is indeed NOT negligible, after moving to a 128G ssd for my laptop I get an additional 2-3hrs of use out of a charge. Though for a larger storage medium the 1TB-SSD's are about 1K$, soon less but well u know...

Another thought on the hdd tangent, quite often the platters in a laptop drive, so anything 2.5", are made of glass with a thin layer of magnetic material bound to the platter... seriously reducing the impact tolerance of most of those models in practical use. and resulting in a fairly useless though interesting sounding box of glass chunk, perfectly well sealed from the elements.
Old 02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slax View Post
Another thought on the hdd tangent, quite often the platters in a laptop drive, so anything 2.5", are made of glass with a thin layer of magnetic material bound to the platter... seriously reducing the impact tolerance of most of those models in practical use.
Well, that's not quite the issue wrt hdds. That is the platter binding. Rather, primary problem with hard drive impact involves head crashes, which are floating microns above the surface and are extremely tiny. For example, a dust particle to a drive head would be akin to a bowling ball to a needle. This is why the drives are sealed... to keep these particles out. In an earlier post, I had wondered about potential corrosion issues. Though, not to the drives, themselves, rather the drive controllers, which are exposed. As for motion, they have come some way wrt mitigating head crashes. At this point, outside of head crashes due to electricity spikes, the primary failures appear to be mechanical... bearings wearing out, that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, from what I can tell, MTBF seems to have dropped.
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
Well, that's not quite the issue wrt hdds. That is the platter binding. Rather, primary problem with hard drive impact involves head crashes, which are floating microns above the surface and are extremely tiny. For example, a dust particle to a drive head would be akin to a bowling ball to a needle. This is why the drives are sealed... to keep these particles out. In an earlier post, I had wondered about potential corrosion issues. Though, not to the drives, themselves, rather the drive controllers, which are exposed. As for motion, they have come some way wrt mitigating head crashes. At this point, outside of head crashes due to electricity spikes, the primary failures appear to be mechanical... bearings wearing out, that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, from what I can tell, MTBF seems to have dropped.
IMO all things that point to ssd as a viable solution for marine use.
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
In an earlier post, I had wondered about potential corrosion issues. Though, not to the drives, themselves, rather the drive controllers, which are exposed. As for motion, they have come some way wrt mitigating head crashes. At this point, outside of head crashes due to electricity spikes, the primary failures appear to be mechanical... bearings wearing out, that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, from what I can tell, MTBF seems to have dropped.

If you where able to minimize the case on this to a micro format, and seal it very well after completion, this will definitely prevent any terminal/connector corrosion. And if sealed properly would in fact minimize overheating/water issues effecting the system as well.. just thoughts here nothing implemented yet so please don't flame me for this, oh salty ones ..

Old 03-02-2013

Joellen is on a distinguished road

We have had an 25',30',35' and 37' the 35 & 37 are way more comfortable for live aboard but that is for 2 people a single person could be good in a 30'
Old 06-06-2013

bajaking is on a distinguished road

Hey Shadow,
Just stumbled on this thread. Your posts have been very helpful to a fellow bay area coder thinking about buying a small boat, probably also a c27, to liveaboard. Have had so many "yeah, but" reasons not to, but it's stories like yours that remind me it isn't a big deal. Just do it! Especially easy decision to try it, being a single renter in an overpriced rental market. Slowly moving my precious crap -- r.i.p., George Carlin -- to storage in preparation.
In fact, I was hoping to get a legal slip at the same marina you're in -- they still had a few liveaboard slots when I first checked during the winter -- but the lady on the phone says the waiting list is back up to a year. If you can share the magic trick to getting a legal spot, there are free docking & sailing lessons in it for you! I currently sail a smaller boat out of Alameda Marina.
Anyway, keep hacking. Oh, and if there are any pics of how your boat is setup, that'd be awesome. (picasa link from your early posts is broken).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.