Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Archangel- View Post
It is a work in progress. No, spending 70k+ for a 25' boat isn't unreasonable since it could be a new build.
Then, of course, you must include top ranges into the millions on the upper end of your charts.

Seriously now. Since it only takes one vote to make your list, every single boat ever made (at least with a head) will qualify. They can also appear multiple times as the value of any model can vary greatly based on age, condition or equipment. The same model could also appear on both the blue water and coastal list depending only on opinion.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but this isn't going to work, nor provide much value from random input.

If you are interested in which make/models people actually live on, I would simply do that survey and not try to stratify by coastal/blue water or price.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
You have a great idea here Archangel. It would be great to have such a list at my fingertips. I have to agree with CaptainForce though because I think almost any boat on the market can qualify as a potential liveaboard. I've been researching various boats that will work well as both a liveaboard and cruising platform that will work well for me. Almost invariably the advice I get from those who have lived aboard for many years has been to define the geographical area of use and create a list of "must have's" as well as a budget. Be practical and realistic. Then look for boats that fit that bill. Get actual experience, talk to others with similar cruising goals and find out what works and what don't.

As I have went through this process I have found that choosing the right boat for me is a very personal thing. I have seen lists of boats that have been catagorized by their intended design use, by their capabilities as offshore boats, and even lists that place each boat manufacturer into a catagory based on their general cost and they don't consider age, condition, or location. But never a list as you propose.

A list I would REALLY like to see is one catagorized by intended use, with sub-headings for general geographical location. Under each catagory would be a list of desired features for each type of use, ie. liveaboard, coastal, offshore, extended voyaging. Frankly, since I intend on going offshore, the hardest part of my research has been to try to figure out what boat features, equipment, and capabilities qualify a boat to achieve this. Then, keeping in mind I will also be living aboard when not cruising, I need to figure out the best boat features for that catagory, then search for boats that will be safe and comfortable for both worlds and that will also please my eye.

There are so many variables and cost has become a much smaller piece of the puzzle than I originally thought. I will be watching your thread though, in hopes that it will grow into the useful tool you want it to be. I wish I could contribute but I don't feel I have the practical experience to do so.

Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Once again I would like to commend the idea despite my lack of confidence in the parameters of the chart. My interest in pointing out the problems may allow something more functional to evolve. Maybe the first sorting criteria should not be length and price. Could each evaluated vessel receive a 1 through 5 rating as to:
performance, liveaboard space, ocean passage capability, cost per foot, gunkholing ability and ease of maintenance? With such a listing and 1 as best and 5 as least, I would evaluate my own vessel as....

1973 Morgan OI 413 Ketch 41' 4-1-4-1-1-3

I'm sure more thought should be given to the evaluative criteria, but this is a start at refining your plan. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 11-14-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think any boat with a cabin could ultimately end up on the list.

But I am curious what 50' + boats end up on it between 10k and 20k.

Archangel - are you at Fisherman's?
Old 03-05-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Live Aboard Recomended Boat List

Sheesh.
Old 03-05-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I think any boat with a cabin could ultimately end up on the list.
But I am curious what 50' + boats end up on it between 10k and 20k.
A ferro one sitting beneath the dock of the bay.
mitiempo likes this.
Old 03-05-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-05-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Columbia 34 MKII. Lots of space and in the $10k range.
mdi likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-08-2012
Don't panic

Filmsomething is on a distinguished road

S2 8.0c go for around 7-13k
S2 11 15-20K

Both have head with separate shower tub
Old 07-14-2012
Max Hax

blistovmhz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmsomething View Post
S2 8.0c go for around 7-13k
S2 11 15-20K

Both have head with separate shower tub
Where? I've looked everywhere I can think of and haven't found an 11.0 a/b/c for under $35k (CAD). The 11.0c is precisely what I'm looking for but all I can find are 9.2a/c in the $27k range and a few 8.0a/c in the $4000-$7000 range.

Whoever finds me an 11.0c for $20k wins 14 internets. Not those old Internets. I'm talking Web two point Oh. 14 of'm!

Last edited by blistovmhz; 07-14-2012 at 07:44 PM.