SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Pump Out (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/82124-pump-out.html)

jackpal 12-27-2011 09:06 PM

Pump Out

So how does this work ? Is there such a thing as a slip with its own pump out or do you have to bring the boat around each time you want to pump out.

jackdale 12-27-2011 09:16 PM

generally - two ways

A pump out station to which you must go. Or a portable pump out that comes to you. That latter can be a honey wagon on a boat.

jackpal 12-27-2011 09:22 PM

Thats funny. A "honeywagon" would be the last thing I call a boat the hauls sewage. Thanks !

The reason I've asked is that the wife and I have spotted a few marinas we would be willing to stay in. I saw sewage line running down the docks and I thought I saw a few slips with the type of hose used for pumping out. I never thought to ask any of the folks we spoke to.

jackdale 12-27-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackpal (Post 811002)
Thats funny. A "honeywagon" would be the last thing I call a boat the hauls sewage. Thanks !

Honeywagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fstbttms 12-27-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackpal (Post 811002)

The reason I've asked is that the wife and I have spotted a few marinas we would be willing to stay in. I saw sewage line running down the docks and I thought I saw a few slips with the type of hose used for pumping out. I never thought to ask any of the folks we spoke to.

Some marinas do offer a sewage pumpout at each individual slip. But they are few and far in between.

mr_f 12-27-2011 11:38 PM

You do plan on leaving the slip occasionally, don't you? ;)

Our marina offers free pump out if you go to the fuel dock, or they will come to you for a small fee. I think they only operate their mobile honey wagon once a week.

jackpal 12-28-2011 07:28 AM

The head situation is more complicated than we would like due to reasons that I will not go into. There are always some obstacles to overcome. We are just doing our research. Thanks !

Minnewaska 12-28-2011 07:50 AM

I've been at both types of marina: pump at fuel dock, pump boat comes to you.

Once you've become used to the pump boat coming to you, it's hard to go back. We leave the dock frequently, but are often tired when we return and making two landings is not welcome, especially if fenders would need to be swapped. Since the pump boat typically services the transients too, it is common for them to limit seasonal slips to something like a Mon or Tue, when things are slower.

Our current marina does not have a pump boat. Since we leave on Mon or Tues and return on Fri, it was very nice to have the tank emptied while we were away. Now, tank bacteria maintenance is much more critical.

BubbleheadMd 12-28-2011 08:38 AM

Heh heh, I have an odd arrangement. My P30 has no real holding tank. If it did, it's gone now. The PO plumbed the toilet discharge to a 5 gallon, plastic fuel can.

When it's full, I just disconnect it and put it in the back of my truck and take it home, where I pour it into my home's sewage access point in my back yard. (I wear chemical protection gloves to ward off any splash that might occur) My house is 20 seconds from the boat, so this isn't a real hassle.

The only downside, is that 5 gallons isn't much capacity.

Minnewaska 12-28-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 811099)
....The only downside, is that 5 gallons isn't much capacity.

I'll say, since a proper flush that elimates sewage from the waste lines usually takes a minimum of one gallon of clear water. I suppose it depends on your set up. Most fail to properly clear their lines. Solids typically take more to fully push through.