Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011

198290 is on a distinguished road
Hot water

I see alot of boats have hot water heaters. I think the better solution would be to have the instant hot water heaters instead of the tanks. They take up less space and are more efficient. I don't see alot of them on sailboats for some reason. It seems like an obvious thing to upgrade. Any big reasons not to use it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
There are two types:

Electrical
Gas

Electricity is scarce on a boat. You can use it when you have connection to land and will not have hot water while cruising. Running a generator might be an option.

Gas is dangerious and will require a flue.

You can have hot water if you have tank heater. this will keep the water hot even after you use land power. Another opportunity is to heat water when your engine is running.
Old 12-28-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
"Tank" style hot water heaters will often use engine coolant to heat the water. In the hot weather the water will stay warm in the tank for hours. So, it's "free" if you time it right.

If one does not shower often on board or sail in cold climates, then a water heater of any type is a waste of space.

I will admit they are nice to have. My last boat had one till it died, then it didn't. I missed washing dishes in warm water, but, I liked the extra space for batteries better
Old 12-28-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpal View Post
I see alot of boats have hot water heaters. I think the better solution would be to have the instant hot water heaters instead of the tanks. They take up less space and are more efficient. I don't see alot of them on sailboats for some reason. It seems like an obvious thing to upgrade. Any big reasons not to use it ?
Because most of them do not meet ABYC safety standards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Because most of them do not meet ABYC safety standards.
They all seem like good reasons. The not meeting ABYC standards probably means getting insured might be a problem. Still it seem doable if researched and installed correctly. We just recently installed one and we love it however it is not on a boat.
Old 12-28-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depends also on your sailing area, and what you want the hot water for. I use a solar shower for bathing, and then just heat water for washing up. (I have a water heater, but it's shot, so it's basically just 6 more gallons of storage)

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 12-28-2011

Well we are in Central Florida. It does get chilly here in the winter but it does not last long if it does. We are planning for the boat being a sort of waterfront condo at first. Depending on how comfortable we can make it we are considering moving aboard. Right now I am just doing research and I do not see anything so far that would prevent what we want to do. Luckily the wife and I are both pretty handy.
Old 12-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think that you need to think about where and when you are going to use hotwater. If you are tied up in a marina with power, as is the case for most liveaboards then a tank heater makes most sense and is easiet and cheapest to install. If you are on the hook or rarely use your engine then the tank ones are not very useful. So if your cruising is ICW you are fine; if you are sailing long distances offshore you are out of luck unless you have a genset or need to run the engine to charge batteries (which you probably don't with solar/wind).

I have had a couple of boats with tankless, gas-powered heaters and quite like them. Caveats though, you need a marine unit not a domestic one (they exist, and are quite common in Europe, but not cheap, you need a suitable spot to install one - Hinterhoeller boast typically used them and they built the galleys so the unit was at eye level and handy ( you lose some good cabinet space here but it was easy to then build in the flue. I guess what I am saying is that they work better when they are designed into the boat not added on. BTW, I don't see a particular advantage to the electric, flash heaters - if you have 110v go with a tank. Final comment about gas heaters, ours had a pilot light (Paloma, no longer recommended for marine) but we never left the unit going between uses since it was very easy to start the pilot each time.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 12-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Just a note, electrical fires are the number one cause of boat fires. Not fuel, not propane, not the galley...... electrical.

If you are going to live aboard for any length of time, but do have frequent access to a marina, then I would use an electric tank heater that also heated off the engine coolant. You either run a genset when at anchor or the engine to top the batts anyway, so it will make hot water then.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-28-2011
S/V Second Chance

CaptMikey is on a distinguished road
water heaters are tough on insurance premiums. if you must have one try the solar alternative. of course sailing on a cloudy day will be tough.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.