Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kd3pc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012

BlueWaterBlair is on a distinguished road
Hunter 420 for a live aboard?

I am looking to purchase a boat for a live aboard.
I would like to get something around the 40 foot range, no more than 20 years old.
I am middle aged and would probably be singlehanding most of the time, so i believe an in mast auto furling main sail would be nice.
I also like the large aft bunk arrangement of center cockpits.
I am in Southern California.
The Hunter 420 seems to fit this bill pretty well.
I am open to other ideas too.
I welcome any and all constructive advice.

thanks

blair
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hunter 420 for a live aboard?

It would help if you were more specific on how you'll actually use the boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

few of the 42's came with in mast auto furling...would be a fairly expensive add on, but then you can redo the rigging as it would be needed on a 20 year old boat.

It is one of the most comfortable live aboards on the market. The aft cabin is as nice as any home would have. Bath "tub" not so much a tub as a bucket.

Single handing will require some changes and some planning ...the cockpit and bimini and arch conspire to get in your way. It wanders a bit in reverse which adds to the adventure when docking or close quarters. The rest is just experience and not getting in a hurry.

I would like to have had real "heat" on our 42 as the reverse cycle is only good to upper 40's air temp...

some maintenance chores are just that as the boat was not built with redoing things in mind.

Lastly the price is right for a decent purchase...right now.
ToppDogg likes this.
Old 03-12-2012

John,

Boat would be used for local coastal cruising. weekends to Catalina, and a couple weeks off in the summer for wandering close to home.

kd3pc,

If i went with the in mast auto furler, i would definitely purchase one that had it already. There is a 2004 in my area for sale right now.

I did not understand your bath tub/bucket comment.

I have never heard about a boat wandering in reverse. Usually they pull to one way or the other. I bet that would be quite sporty solo.

It doesn't get that cold here in San Diego, but i imagine i could had a real heater.

Do you still have your 420?
Do you know what the differences are between the series 1 and 2?
There is very limited info on the Internet. Do you have any other suggested resources?

Thanks

Blair
Old 03-12-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

while the boats, many of them, are marketed as having a bath tub...the tub on my 42 is not much larger than a 5 gallon bucket at the base, it then opens up to a small flat spot, seat if I could go so far...and if you are over 150 pounds, there is no way you could get up and down or use it as a "tub".....

the shower is decent, as is the one in the salon head.

on my 42, the handling in reverse, in anything but dead calm was like riding a basket ball...you just never know where the other end is going to go...any amount of wind or current would blow the bow off the line you are trying to take. Bow in, no problem ever..

As to the differences, not sure....I would look at a bunch of both and see which were more to your likings. I sold my 1991 this past fall...
Old 03-13-2012

kd3pc,

thank you for your time and information.

blair
Old 03-22-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I would have to say a Hunter 42 would make a good liveaboard, it is a very spacious sailboat, and would have room for a good sized family on board. Have you had boats before? 42 is pretty big to start with, though I know someone who started with a 50 so it is not impossible. There are folks out there living on boats much smaller and smaller than 30 foot even. The costs to maintain a boat do not go up linearly with size, almost more like to the square of the size. So a 42 foot boat is going to cost a LOT more than a 30 foot, as everything on it will be sized bigger, and slips are not just by the foot but after a certain point more per foot. So I would say the smallest boat you can fit is the best place to start, it will be much cheaper to operate and maintain. It will also be easier to operate as well!

An example one of the local marinas charges 75 a foot per season up to 32 feet, but at 33 feet it jumps to 106 per foot so a 32 foot boat will be 2400 for the summer season, but a 33 foot will be 3498 and a 42 will be 4452 for the summer. So there is a big jump, besides the initial expense. Everything that needs to be replaced will go up almost exponentially with size. Rigging is not only longer, but bigger sails are way bigger and what not.

In mast furling would be a deal killer for me. While many people are happy with it, it can cause many headaches and hampers sail shape. The older systems do seem more prone to issues. Hunters are reasonable quality boats, made to a price point. I am not sure if the ones you are looking at have the "B&R Rig" or not, but again that is something I would not want, but many are happy with it. To me it is a solution to a problem that does not exist.
Old 03-22-2012
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

The 420 is a fine boat and will have as many negatives as any other boat to go along with the positives!

So like any other boat go look at one and others and decide if to YOU the positives out weigh the negatives.

PS - my 410 is the same hull as a 420 and I can back mine up just fine.