Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard in Key West?

Reading this thread has made me nostalgic. I used to go down to Key West pretty regularly, but haven't been in almost 25 years now. I imagine things have changed quite a bit. I'm going to have to make a point of getting down there again one of these days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Jane Joy-

AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh your killing me with all the Key West talk !!!
Please , tell me more !!
I've wanted to spend a winter in key west for some time.
We're heading back to the frozen north from Fl. in the next couple days .
The past few months have been great in NE Fl. but I have been eyeing Key West for too long.
I'd love to hear more about anchoring locations and dinghy access, from folks that are there now or have been in the last 2-3 months to keep the information current and accurate.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep looking/reading.

- fall 2012-spring- 2013 Kew West or "bust" -
Old 05-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Jane Joy-

AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh your killing me with all the Key West talk !!!
Please , tell me more !!
I've wanted to spend a winter in key west for some time.
We're heading back to the frozen north from Fl. in the next couple days .
The past few months have been great in NE Fl. but I have been eyeing Key West for too long.
I'd love to hear more about anchoring locations and dinghy access, from folks that are there now or have been in the last 2-3 months to keep the information current and accurate.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep looking/reading.

- fall 2012-spring- 2013 Kew West or "bust" -
I know this is an old post, But, I've lived aboard in key west for most of my life and have never needed a slip or payed for a mooring. Good anchors and a great dinghy, under 15 feet ( dinghy dock max.) is all you need. The moorings are super rough in the winter, an elderly couple were stranded on their boat for day's last winter. Flemming Key is the best place to anchor in the winter and If you have a good dingy the farther north on the lee side the better. You may not want to leave. My boat is in a very special creek between Stock Island and Boca Chica that is protected all year, but I have a whaler with 40 horse that I use to get out to it. it's a good mile and a half, from shore and 6 miles to Old Town. Flemming Key is right down town and all you need is a bike. The dinghy dock comes with a shower key but they are nasty. The moorings have new showers and a better dingy dock. Marathon has a great mooring and dinghy dock with a fantastic club house for live aboards. I've never seen anything like it, but your in Marathon, no charm, just strip malls on the side of the road. People in Key West are the good kind of weird, Marathon has strange, kind of creepy weird people. The cruisres are cool there though. In Key West You can anchor off Christmas tree ( Wisteria) island. The side near town is bombarded by boat wakes.The north side can be nice. The east side close to Frankfurt Bank has the best protection from the northers. It's a little closer than North Flemming, but Flemming is better. Hope that helped

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-22-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
but you can get a mooring from the city in Garrison Bight for about $300/month. From the gate-protected dinghy dock it is a bit more than a mile to Old Town and about the same distance to supermarkets, etc. in the other direction. Bus stop is right by the dinghy dock, and buses run about an hour apart.
Wow, this sounds quite reasonable! I'm guessing my wife will not be happy that you posted this, as my scheming for a sailing life in a warmer climate will now continue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. Great place, plenty of room and very affordable.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

$315 a month now in Key West. Typical gov't service...rising at a price that exceeds inflation. Now that those mooring balls are in, you will eventually get priced out.

On principal alone, I avoid city/gov't run mooring fields and will anchor out. I understand that this is hardly possible in Key West or Marathon as the fields cover the entirety of the viable anchorage areas.

Last edited by night0wl; 05-22-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2012
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakAwayFL View Post
Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. Great place, plenty of room and very affordable.
The thing about Boot Key Harbor is, it's in Marathon. Having spent the past six weeks here in Marathon, I think I am qualified to say: You'd rather be in Key West. OK, let's say MOST PEOPLE would rather be in KW. But it's true that Marathon's cruiser and live aboard community is friendly and active.

Old 05-22-2012
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
On principal alone, I avoid city/gov't run mooring fields and will anchor out. I understand that this is hardly possible in Key West or Marathon as the fields cover the entirety of the viable anchorage areas.
As noted by capt.aaron earlier in this thread, there's plenty of room to anchor out in Key West - also lots of boats are anchored in Marathon.

Old 05-22-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
The thing about Boot Key Harbor is, it's in Marathon. Having spent the past six weeks here in Marathon, I think I am qualified to say: You'd rather be in Key West. OK, let's say MOST PEOPLE would rather be in KW. But it's true that Marathon's cruiser and live aboard community is friendly and active.
True on all counts.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 05-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

There a tons of gunk holes between Marathon and Key west, Niles Channel between Sumerland and Ramrod, New Found Harbour off Big Pine are places I've lived in the past. Good bus system to Key West from here. Shallow Drafters can go around the back side of Big Pine by No Nome key and No Name Pub. People are anchoring off Stock Island on the south side, west of the channel into safe harbour marina and useing Robbies Boatyard as a dingy dock. There's the whole Boca Chica area but I would'nt suggest that. lot of boat bums and controversy in that area. North West Flemming hands down the best all around.