Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard in Key West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
As noted by capt.aaron earlier in this thread, there's plenty of room to anchor out in Key West - also lots of boats are anchored in Marathon.
From my perspective, the only tenable year round anchorage in Key West is Garrison Bight...which they have turned into a mooring field @ $315 a month.

Dont get me started about Marathon...
Old 05-25-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
From my perspective, the only tenable year round anchorage in Key West is Garrison Bight...which they have turned into a mooring field @ $315 a month.

Dont get me started about Marathon...
Tell me about Marathon - I have a big investment of time and money coming up this winter in that area and really would like any and all input on the area.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Tell me about Marathon - I have a big investment of time and money coming up this winter in that area and really would like any and all input on the area.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
My frustration is that the only good place to be in Marathon (all weather) is Boot Key harbor, and that is one massive mooring field with some scraps left by the old bridge to anchor in. Mooring fields *THIS* big are a disgrace and an end-around to banning anchoring out.
Old 05-25-2012

Yep, can't argue with that. And, of course, when a city government gets involved you know it's just going to be expensive. I was worried that there was something about being in Marathon that was bad that I should know about, crime, etc... I have a tentative job lined up there for next winter, and I'm hoping to work out a deal with one of the marinas with a Tiki Bar to do some horse trading. While I could spend some time on a mooring ball or at anchor, the problem I have is transporting thousands of dollars worth of musical equipment to the dock without getting it wet, something that's nearly impossible in a dink.

The way I look at these city-owned mooring fields that are situated in resort areas is they figure they have the rich, boat owner by the short-hair and can extort huge sums of money for tying up an a 1,000-pound anchor with a float and chain. And, if they eventually make it so you can no longer anchor in the area, you will be limited to pay them or go somewhere else, such as Key West, which has recently jumped on that band wagon.

Thanks again,

Gary
Old 05-26-2012

Gary - thats exactly my concern with these "well run" city mooring fields. Cities, counties, and other municipalities should *NOT* be using their natural resources as profit centers to cover for profligate spending in other areas, or subsidizing their citizens in other ways. Its not the city of Marathon citizens that own the waterways...its the STATE OF FLORIDA.

This is bordering on a political thread now...but I've always wondered why people get so wound up about gov't waste at a national level. The worst offenders and the most corruption is local. The worst is "legal" corruption like some of these cities can get away with. 24 hour obscene parking charges on public beaches or areas of attraction...mooring fields where you used to be able to anchor, ridiculous fees to enter county or city parks...lexus lanes on public interstate systems! Sheesh...you gotta be rich to leave your hovel nowadays.
mdi, travlineasy and Stingray like this.
Old 05-26-2012

No argument from me, Owl. This kind of thing began in Maryland three decades ago, it is significantly worse at this point and all those miniscule fees have escalated at 10 times the rate of inflation. Some states now have undertaken measures to tax live-aboards in the same manner as someone living ashore. Like I said earlier, this will only get worse. Governments have screwed up every enterprise they've become involved in. Recreational boating will soon be something that the average person can no longer afford.

Thanks again,

Gary
mdi likes this.
Old 09-17-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

MHillman,

Are you still looking to liveaboard in Key West? I may have a lead for you.
Old 12-21-2013

safira is on a distinguished road

This is just a thought for everyone to consider when using a mooring ball ... when was the last time it was inspected? ...

Personally I never use a mooring ball unless I know how and when it was set. My vessel means that much to me and I do hope yours does too
Old 12-21-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by safira View Post
This is just a thought for everyone to consider when using a mooring ball ... when was the last time it was inspected? ...

Personally I never use a mooring ball unless I know how and when it was set. My vessel means that much to me and I do hope yours does too
How have you found that the easiest way to ascertain that information would be?
Old 12-23-2013

safira is on a distinguished road

you would need to chat with whoever set the mooring ball or perhaps who ever has control over it.