Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003

Windsurfer46 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

I am curious how liveaboards broach the subject, or respond to offers, of guest''s financial contributions to the host''s cruising kitty. We''ll be guests and want to contribute.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2003

newuser is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

Your desire to help with your hosts'' kitty is very generous. The answer to your question should take a number of things into consideration: the financial situation of the owners, the lenghts of time you will be their guest, the additional expenses they will incur because you are aboard.

My wife and I had numerous guests, but never expected them to contribute - they were our guests. However, most of them insisted on paying for dinner ashore or for the provisioning expenses for the time that they are aboard or for the cost of excursions which we would not have taken if they were not aboard. I would simply say "I hope you are not offended but we insist on paying for.........." If you will be spending more than a night or two aboard, I hope that you know them extremely well and you should be able to determine where the line is.
Old 12-12-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

To ask for or even except an offer of "expence" money you''ll have to have at least a "6 pack" lincense. It is not lawful to take a passenger out and have then even give you a coke. They can of course bring aboard thier own food that would help keep cost down. You could get fined pretty good even if someone made a passing comment that was heard by the "wrong" right people.
Old 12-13-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

Windsurfer:

You''re asking a great question; don''t be put off by implications that you''re stepping on legal toes because there are a host of answers to such a question, such as:
1. What does the boat need brought from the mainland? Replacement light bulbs, a new shower fixture, a replacement teflon-coated pan for the galley? Boats wear out stuff relentlessly, yet folks on the move often lack being able to get desparately needed items that, for you, could be a simple trip to Home Depot.
2. Similarly, what treat has captain and mate missed the most? (Ask each of them separately, about the other, if you want it to be a surprise). Life afloat is not all done by T-shirts and shorts, alone. A favorite perfume or body moisture can be a gift from heaven.
3. Cooks, especially at sea, do the toughest work on boats...and there''s not usually enough money to enjoy all the treats and splurges a crew desires. A nice lunch or dinner ashore, with no dinner dishes left in the sink, can be a great break and bring real pleasure.

There are also a host of small gestures that make you a guest everyone wants back. Doing the trash run, offering to trudge thru the market in the heat of the day to pick up the groceries, scouting around town to find those 5/16" fasteners - the potential for showing your thanks thru your own initiative and willingness to pitch in is infinite.

Jack
Old 12-15-2003

c172guy is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

Does our government have the time and money to worry about gifts between friends that are boating??? I can see there interest in someone trying to run a charter business carrying only "friends" that they meet over the internet. But real friends sharing expenses how could the authorities even know??? And what about "gifts" that have nothing to do with boating??? If a friend gives you a week on his boat and you decide to give him a thousand dollars how could anyone prove that it was compensation for the week especially if you are friends?? Is it possible to outlaw friends giving each other gifts???
I think that the law is probably only a concern to someone who is trying to run an illegal charter business.
Old 12-15-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

How would anyone know if I run a stop sign at 3:00 am on a deserted road. How would anyone know about a piece of candy picked up at the local food store. All I am saying is it''s against the law to except payment from "guests" you have taken sailing.
Old 12-15-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

If the governing body can show a quid pro quo, then it''s illegal. I was thinking of hanging out a sign on the lifelines of my boat that read: Guests Welcome, Donations Accepted. I think this could be construed as a business relationship no matter what you call it.

On the other hand, no one can screw you like friends. And if you send them a letter saying something like, "yeah just kick in a couple hundred for the fees and food" and one of your friends in injured or dies, then it''s not only easy to argue that you engaged in a transactional relationship, it''s also, I imagine, hard to defend against a civil claim that your were engaging in a business relationship, negligent, and liable for damages.

Just a thought,
Chas
Old 12-27-2003

Cruising Kitty etiquette

Thanks for your input everyone. We had a great trip, got on well with our guests, and everything worked out well using your tips to avoid quid pro quo. We plan to send a goody basket with some hardware and tools we noticed they need as well as more of the goodies we brought.
Old 12-27-2003

Cruising Kitty etiquette

Whoops, I meant "hosts" not "guests" in my previous post.
Old 01-30-2004

rlockard is on a distinguished road
Cruising Kitty etiquette

Okay, I''m still new to sailing. What I do know is aviation and there is the ability for a non-commericial pilot to accept payment from a passanger. BUT that payment must be prorated. IE, I''m heading to Miami and I will be spending $500 on fuel. If there are two people onboard (including pilot) then my "guest" can give me $250. Any more and I would be breaking the law. I would imagine there would something like this in the coast guard regs. Or am I wrong?

Later, Dive / Fly / Ride / Sail Safe
-Rob