Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard

A few more more things - and this is if you begin exploring other options:

ballast. It makes a difference for a liveaboard. Having some lead below will keep you from walking the cabin sides everytime there's an errant 30kt. gust. Of course, that's literally weighed against the giant lever you have pointing skyward. Not making any commentary on whether full is better than fin or heavy displacement better than light -- only in the context of living at the dock.

second is storage: day sailors don't make the best liveaboards because there's no place to put anything. You need lockers and storage - you will fill them all no matter how hard you try not to.

For these reasons, a good rule of thumb IMHO is that a boat that is designed to cruise (i.e., tending toward more ballast with more storage) makes a better liveaboard than a racer or racer-cruiser.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

I own a Cal 28 1967 flattop Just what did you want to Know? P.S. I love mine! My dream boat is a Cal 40 flattop ,so I had to settle. I have collected a lot of info on the 28, If I can help you out let me know-- My vote is for the Cal!!! ....Dale
Where God got it done!

Last edited by Lake Superior Sailor; 04-27-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2012

MarkusM is on a distinguished road

Hello Lake superior sailor,

Information i wanted to find out was things like weak points. I heard that it is easy to get parts for the Catalina, how is that for the cal.
Old 04-27-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

parts for cals is easy---fab em. isnt hard.
friend of mine lived on board a cal 28. another lived on board a catalina 27. the cal has MUCH more interior space than the catalina.
your choice, even with fiberglass repair to do .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

What parts? I get anything I want off Ebay...Nothing special on the boat Its just the design & the love you put in it!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 04-27-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

The idea that you can get parts for a Catalina because the company is still around and because they made a lot of C27s is a bit misleading. Go to the CatalinaDirect website and look carefully. Almost all the parts at just off the shelf hardware made by someone else. Very few things are specific to a C27. Granted, they have figured out what will work with that model boat, so you don't have to do the figuring yourself. But, with a bit a common sense and a little web surfing, you can find parts for just about any old boat. A Lewmar 30ST, or a Whale pump, works just as well on a Cal 28 as it does on a Catalina 27 (or a Vega, or a Cape Dory, or whatever...).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-28-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Granted, they have figured out what will work with that model boat, so you don't have to do the figuring yourself.
Don't discount the value of that, especially for somebody (like me) with no experience maintaining a sailboat.
MarkusM likes this.
Old 04-29-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

From an old man's perspective (yep! I'm old), neither boat is big enough to live aboard. I had a 1978 Catalina 27 powered with a 30-HP Atomic-4. The boat sailed like a dream, it was really fast, both under sail and using the iron jenny, and going out for 10 to 15 days at a time, mainly on the waters of Chesapeake Bay, was lots of fun. BUT! By the end of 15 days that boat really seemed a lot smaller, especially inside. I had a sailing buddy with me, he snored like a grizzly bear with a head-cold, and on a hot, steamy, rainy night sleeping in the vee-berth was like sleeping in a sauna. There were lots of nights when the best sleep was obtained while under the stars with just enough breeze to keep the bugs at bay.

The vee-berth was about 7-feet from end to end, the quarter berth was about 6-6, the head was really tight, but I had a bit more headroom than the newer boats, with about 6-3 everywhere . Some of the newer boats had a different deck configuration which provided more flat walking surface, but the headroom was less than 6-feet in most places.

With this in mind, I looked long and hard at older boats for the best live-aboard specifications--not the best sailing specs. It came down to 2 choices, the Morgan 33 Out Island and the Morgan 41 Out Island. Next, this was narrowed down to which boat I can easily sail singlehanded. The 41 was just too much boat, at least for a 71-year-old guy with some missing body parts. On the other hand, the 33 turned out to be a piece of cake, plus has as much space as most conventional 41s.

It took 2 years of searching to find one that I liked and could afford. I drove more than 5,000 miles on several trips up and down the east coast of the U.S. before finding one just 50 miles away from home. I've been working on the boat and sailing it for the past two years, the work is nearly completed, (would have been done a year ago if I would have spent less time sailing and more time working), and this October I'm sailing south to the Florida Keys, Dry Tortugas and Bahamas for the winter. I'll be living aboard the entire 7 months I'll be gone, which is something I don't think I could have done on the Catalina 27.

If I were younger, and in your shoes, I would seriously consider looking into a larger boat. There are loads of good, used boats out there that would make a much better live aboard than either of those you have listed. Someone posted above that living on either would be about the same as living in a conversion van on the beach. While that may be a bit exaggerated, it's not far from the mark.

Good luck on your search,

Gary
MarkusM likes this.
Old 05-02-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
The electronics and gadgetry should not enter into the decision.
Good advice. For some reason, a lot of people put a lot of value into such gadgets, many of which are obsolete before the day they are even installed.
Old 05-02-2012

MarkusM is on a distinguished road

Just had a Look at the catalina. Overall she seems to be in Good shape. There are a couple of things I would like to get some advice on.

1. Seems like the previous owner of the current seller has added backing plates to the rigging. One of those plates (wood) seemed to be really compressed and a bit damp. I will post a picture in a couple of hours. To change the backing plates, I assume the mast does not need to come down? There is only one backing plate that looks like the one in the picture all the other look great.

2. The anchor chain locker (hole in the deck) if I felt with my fingers I could feel some moist wood. The area around the locker seemed solid. No soft spots. What should be done to fix that? Can there be something done?

3. The through hills are brass and have backing plates but definitely have some oxidation on them. Should the be replaced? Picture will follow.

4. Motor (outboard motor) does not pump water anymore after winter storage. Impeller? The motor is from the mid 90's. 4 stroke.

Any thoughts? What should a boat like this go for?

Thanks everybody you guys rock. I learned so much already.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard-img_0258.jpg   Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard-img_0263.jpg   Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard-img_0264.jpg  

Last edited by MarkusM; 05-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.