Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Re: Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard

Backing plates - hard to tell from the photo but those look like stanchion backing plates, given the layout of the bolts. I've seen other owners do the same, but with solid wood rather than ply. If you wanted to change the backing plates for the shrouds, you could do it without taking the mast down.

2) You found moisture in the anchor locker? I think this is probably fairly common.

3) I'm disinclined to comment on the through hulls. I'm guessing that they're bronze, not brass, which does turn green. I think it's okay.

4) The manual probably says to change the impeller every year anyway, but it's possible it's something else. When you say "does not pump water" do you mean that the motor doesn't "pee" or that the pump doesn't move water at all?

Price - look for similar boats in your area on Yachtworld. It's very area-dependent. But assuming the conditions in the photos generalize somewhat to the rest of the boat (not in terrible condition but far from perfect) you're probably looking at $5 - $10K.
Old 05-03-2012

MarkusM is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, all of were a great help!!!!!!

got the boat for 3000 today!

Yeah!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

As Adam said, the plywood backing should go.. it's easily done, since it appears to be quite accessible. Aluminum or stainless steel would be the way to go, with polished SS getting the nod for stability and appearance.

The anchor chain is hopelessly rusted, new chain is in order.. if only for the lack of staining new galvanized chain would provide, but the chain itself must be considered suspect and unreliable.

The through hulls are certainly going to be bronze vs brass, and they are at least decent 90 degree ball valves, but there is some evidence of some leakage there.. should be checked into carefully.

Try running some stiff wire/pipecleaner/whatever up the cooling water telltale on the motor, often that passage will plug up - doesn't necessarily mean you're not pumping cooling water, but it should be there as an indication of cooling water pressure.

A usable boat for 3K, not bad.. best of luck in the upcoming season!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-03-2012

thank you.
Old 05-03-2012

i will post pictures of the boat and the work in progress.

Last edited by MarkusM; 05-04-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

When I had a Catalina 27 I had stainless backing plates for the the chain plate bolts. The #3 photo looks like the person that installed that plywood backing plate didn't use stainless bolts, the bolts were not sealed, he didn't use stainless fender washers, just a botched job at best.

You don't have to remove the mast to change the chain plate bolts or install a stainless backing plate. Just loosen the turnbuckles enough to take the strain off the cables, then carefully remove all but one of the bolts. Loosen the last bolt, swing the wooden backing plate out of the way, install at least one new stainless bolt with an oversized fender washer and snug it down. Now you can remove that last rusted bolt and install a stainless backing plate by reversing the process. It's not too difficult and can be done by one person.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)