Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Re: share with me, your words of wisdom

If you do acquire a live aboard in the future, you will give thanks for every minute you spent sailing that Force 5. She will teach you so much about sailing without you being aware of it, So enjoy her.
If there is a racing fleet near by you should show up at the marina/yacht club a couple of hours before races, wander the docks, and ask "Anybody looking for crew?" Talk with people. Let it be known that you are sailing a Force 5, but are looking for experience on larger boats. Someone will take you on, and the experience will be invaluable.
Do NOT talk about your work as a cook. But once you get on a boat, if you see some provisions you could convert to goodies, go for it. You might easily earn a regular berth. Knowing the sailing community may give you friends with useful knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymckay View Post
Ello all,

Pretty new at all this, gonna ask a vague question..

Im 20, work as a cook.
gradually learning to not spend $ on stuff not needed, have the willpower of an ox, and relatively a poor dude but with steady income and the usual bills.

Research research, and more research.. but no experience cept a 14' force 5.

however im super determined to live aboard at the local marina and i would like to purchase a slight fixer upper. prefer a catalina 27 due to their wide product and parts. i know about how much i want to spend ($6000-7500) and i know i want to work on this boat like its all i have.. cuz it will be. It will just be myself with the occasional visitor, for days i want to cruise.
Still want to take classes, or just go out and get the feel for sailing a bigger (than 14') boat.

anyways, sound possible? i think so if i save enough $. needs to be soon though, however thats all on my part. anyone been in my shoes? or have words of wisdom to share? open to all criticism, dont want to jump the gun.

thanks!
Come on down to Key West. I have a Trip Columbia 26 for $1000 buck's. You can live on the hook for free and work in town. It's warm all year, alway's sailing season. It's young dude live aboard city down here. Tons of sailor girls, bar/ rest. jobs dyi boatyatds, I made a small fortune barbacking down here. I can probably get you a job bus'n tables right now.
Old 05-20-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I know the 'grass is greener' thing but reading Key West causes me angst (envy, remorse,resignation, } If I were going to waste my youth anyway it appears I could have considered location,location.
jerryrlitton, utchuckd and Jgbrown like this.
Old 05-20-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

quittin*

but ill have to PM you afterwords and see how its goin,, get more info on that.
livin on the hook would be cool, if i had a few solars and a dinghy or somethin.. however i havent really thouhgt too much about it. i might just come down to purchase it from you if i see fit!!
Old 05-20-2012

sorry all messed up..THIS MESSAGE FIRSTT***

thanks dong ill start doin that.. im afraid my ole force 5 is gonna call it quits soon she creaks a lot.

but key west sounds amazing.. however i would need a higher payin job than bussin tables to help start savin.. my job holds contests annually and i was on the winning team to go to the bahamas in june. im stoked!! but after that i plan on\/
Old 05-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymckay View Post
sorry all messed up..THIS MESSAGE FIRSTT***

thanks dong ill start doin that.. im afraid my ole force 5 is gonna call it quits soon she creaks a lot.

but key west sounds amazing.. however i would need a higher payin job than bussin tables to help start savin.. my job holds contests annually and i was on the winning team to go to the bahamas in june. im stoked!! but after that i plan on\/
Well the Columbia is here, Needs tlc. it was completely restored 10 years ago, the hull was coated with west system, custom cabinet work by previous owner who was a master carpenter. I re-reigged with sta-lok top and bottom. needs a new turnbuckle on the headstay. needs sails. and a good bottom scraping. A good first boat project. It's anchored off christmas tree island. I've had the boat off shore a couple of times in big, full moon, Straits of Florida , east at 20, seas and it handled them like a champ. It has an out board engine well, wich is nice. Lot's of cooking jobs down here, none of them pay what you are probably worth. All the money is in the front of the house. I made no less than $300 a day barbacking and as much as $700 in one night. That was at the most crowded 10 bar, club in town and the shift's were 14 hours. Waiters, bartenders are walking with well over a 100 a shift and cook's are getting 8 bucks an hour with a set sched. Most of the cooks are mexican and work long hours for cheap. even in the 5 star places. Now's a good time to get a job, lot's of snowbirds heading back north. The right bus boy job turns into waiter or shucker real quick. Live on the hook for free and the only bills you'll have are the ones you create.
Old 05-22-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

What I will add is don't settle on a particular boat model. Keep your options open. You indicated you prefer a Catalina 27, but what if a perfect (yeah, right, but we can hope) Hunter 30 is on the market in your price range? Check Craigslist often. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Read this thread about living aboard: Living Aboard Cheap- Dreamers read!

The truth of the matter is...its a hardscrabble life to do it on the cheap. You prepay for housing and then have to scramble to just get by (unless you have funds, in which case, its almost always easier to live on land).

Some prefer it, but like in most things...try before you buy!!! (ie, see if you can live aboard somoenes boat for a few weeks before buying your own).
Old 05-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Seem's to me, if you are the type of person who likes to camp, and hike. likes the outdoors, isn't afraid of the rain, you'll like living aboard. It's not for every body, thank god, it's allready a little too crowded out here as it is. Living on the hook in key West, with a good anchor and good sensability for boat insurance, a kayak for a dinghy, a bicycle to get to work, simple wants and basic needs, you can live with virtually no bills. Before cell phones became a necessity, I actually had no bills and caught most of my food. I'm older and have more responsability's now, and live a more comfy life. But I say don't waste your youth paying rent and car payments, Spend it sailing around the Western Caribbean on a tough little sloop using Key West as your port of call. Mexico is a four day, down wind jaunt. Belize is right there and Cuba is very close to opening. almost is kind of.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Well the Columbia is here, Needs tlc. it was completely restored 10 years ago, the hull was coated with west system, custom cabinet work by previous owner who was a master carpenter. I re-reigged with sta-lok top and bottom. needs a new turnbuckle on the headstay. needs sails. and a good bottom scraping. A good first boat project. It's anchored off christmas tree island. I've had the boat off shore a couple of times in big, full moon, Straits of Florida , east at 20, seas and it handled them like a champ. It has an out board engine well, wich is nice. Lot's of cooking jobs down here, none of them pay what you are probably worth. All the money is in the front of the house. I made no less than $300 a day barbacking and as much as $700 in one night. That was at the most crowded 10 bar, club in town and the shift's were 14 hours. Waiters, bartenders are walking with well over a 100 a shift and cook's are getting 8 bucks an hour with a set sched. Most of the cooks are mexican and work long hours for cheap. even in the 5 star places. Now's a good time to get a job, lot's of snowbirds heading back north. The right bus boy job turns into waiter or shucker real quick. Live on the hook for free and the only bills you'll have are the ones you create.
sounds like a good idea.. is the boat in live-able condition as of now? i would like to sample the lifestyle before i jump in..could i come down there for a few days see how it is? expenses provided.. just an idea. i could rent a room down there if needed, and check out the columbia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.