Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: share with me, your words of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
..........................The truth of the matter is...its a hardscrabble life to do it on the cheap. You prepay for housing and then have to scramble to just get by (unless you have funds, in which case, its almost always easier to live on land)..................
Maybe, .....maybe not. While the typical shore side route is heavily mortgaged and deep into credit card debt, someone can choose the simple liveaboard life and advance in their assets while debt free without a huge income. I've lived aboard for forty years and my largest monthly bill is a $50/month cell phone which I'm about to drop down to $25. Being out of debt with a modest income offers great freedom and joy!
utchuckd and harmonic like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymckay View Post
sounds like a good idea.. is the boat in live-able condition as of now? i would like to sample the lifestyle before i jump in..could i come down there for a few days see how it is? expenses provided.. just an idea. i could rent a room down there if needed, and check out the columbia
The boat is live-able in the same way a tent is. It need's a good hard scrubbing, I could live on it but it's rough. The coushions have all rotted, the electircal system has corroded away. You can rent out a bunk on my Charter Boat at Safe Harbour Marina for 100 bucks a week, it 's cumfy, And you'll need a dingy to get out to the Columbia, I have an 8 horse 4 stroke that needs a little work you can fix up and borrow.( someone put it on it's side and oil got in the cylander.) I'm at sea on a Tug boat right now. I'll be back in key West on the 9th of june, let me know and I'll set it up. I can run you out to the Columbia in my skiff so you can look at it.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-28-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I say go for it.

You get to decide how it is going to be. Living on a boat (or in an RV, or tent, or ...) can be anything from sleeping in the rain with a tarp over you while you eat cat food out of the can, up to your own helicopter pad and personal chef, it is all up to you. Do you like to camp ? Most of us like to camp, for a day, or two days, or three, but do you REALLY like to camp, week in, week out ? Most people who go camping go at it by charging up first and then go along for a few days until they are depleted, and then they need to "get back to their real life" to recharge, get a hot shower, "real food", etc, before doing it again. It's a real trick to make it sustainable enough that you don't get into a cycle like that, can you live on a boat for a day, then another day, and a week, two weeks, a month, two months ? How often will you want to "give up" and go spend a bunch of money on a big dinner, or stay in a hotel because you just "need a day or two away from the boat" ? Are you just going to be using the boat as a place to stay out of the rain while spending the rest of your time having a social life out in the world (Key West ?), or are you going to be on the boat all the time, saving your pennies ? A boat can be a lot like a tent, a place to stay out of the rain, and if that is all it is then it is incredibly inexpensive - you can basically just camp, use a camp stove, eat camp type of food, etc, but is that sustainable ?

Most things about life like this are on a continuum, just pick anything, let's say having bread to eat at your meals as an example. You can work a job and make money and buy good bread to eat, easy, but its money. You can work a job and make money and buy cheap bread to eat, easy, costs less, but is it sustainable ? You can spend time riding your bicycle to a bargain bread store, you know the ones that sell bread that's just a little bit too old, a little stale, but it still makes good toast, cheaper still, but now you're making time to ride your bike to the store, a little less convenient. You can skip the store bought bread altogether and buy flour, yeast, etc, and make your own bread in the pressure cooker, or learn to bake it, even cheaper, but you have to actually make it. You can buy wheat, mill it to make your own flour, make a sour dough starter, and bake your bread on shore with wood you gather, and that's so inexpensive that approximately 25$us will buy you a 50lb bag of wheat, enough to eat great tasting bread for months, but it ain't easy! You get to decide just how much inconvenience you can stand, how much comfort you need, how hard you want to work to live the life you want, how much money you are going to spend, etc, it is all you!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2012

23Ranger is on a distinguished road

beware a "deal" or a "steal" on an older sailboat; ask to see clear title before buying and ask about any possible liens/mortgages on the boat. Other stuff already said on this thread is good advice too. You can probably find a high 20-something boat for that price. First step after purchasing, get the boat insured and then get the gold-level Boat U.S. service; you'll need it. There will be no end to the stuff that needs fixing and that you'll want to upgrade. Prioritize based on cost, level of work/expertise required, and relation to functioning of the boat.

I lived aboard in Key West last summer for two months and depsite having only 4 1/2 feet of headroom and no on-board head or AC, I had a blast. It's a great way to live if you take to it, and it's liberating to not be tied to the land. Best of luck
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

That's all true. key West is the land of shady boat deals. The Columbia 26 I have has a clean title. I'm just tired of looking after it and want to see it go to someone who will fix it up and use it. When I get off this tug boat next week I'll see if I can get some current pictures posted. As for insurance......I've never had it. My newby friend just bought a Cal 36 and got some liability incase he hits someone. Anything else seems like a monthly bill you don't need. The best boat insurance is attention and common sense, certainly cheeper. What you gonna do, spend $300 a month on little boat you bought for a grand? For these retired cruisers who sold the house and spent 100 grand plus on the gadget boat it makes sense, plus they come from the suburbs where everything must be insured. For the young guy on a tough little barebones sloop it seems overkill.
Old 05-31-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Maybe, .....maybe not. While the typical shore side route is heavily mortgaged and deep into credit card debt, someone can choose the simple liveaboard life and advance in their assets while debt free without a huge income. I've lived aboard for forty years and my largest monthly bill is a $50/month cell phone which I'm about to drop down to $25. Being out of debt with a modest income offers great freedom and joy!
One can live just as cheaply and without entanglements on shore as they can on the water. After this real estate bust, there are plenty of homes, condos, rvs, and trailers that are going well below the price of a boat in good condition.
Old 05-31-2012

23Ranger is on a distinguished road
share with me, your words of wisdom

Capt.aaron

Agree on insurance, third party liability and coverage for marine pollution/casualty are the only reasons for insuring a cheap sailboat. Everything between Miami and the keys is some kind of national or state park, easy to find something important and expensive to hit. $400/year is not a bad price to pay to sleep a little easier as a sailor learning the ropes.
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Ranger View Post
Capt.aaron

Agree on insurance, third party liability and coverage for marine pollution/casualty are the only reasons for insuring a cheap sailboat. Everything between Miami and the keys is some kind of national or state park, easy to find something important and expensive to hit. $400/year is not a bad price to pay to sleep a little easier as a sailor learning the ropes.
Can't argue with that, I should probably get some.
Old 06-01-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
One can live just as cheaply and without entanglements on shore as they can on the water. After this real estate bust, there are plenty of homes, condos, rvs, and trailers that are going well below the price of a boat in good condition.
I'm in total agreement that wise choices in avoiding debt are available ashore, but I'm focusing on the "Living Aboard" subtitle of the forum and the contention that life on a boat does not need to be "hardscrabble". It's certainly true that the behaviors that get people into debt and difficulties can happen anywhere!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 06-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The desire to be independent is hardwired. The ABILITY to be independent is learned behaviour. Want to be a great sailor living aboard well on the cheap?

Become adept with tools.

It is easier to become a proficient sailor when your gear works. It is more comfortable to live aboard when the systems work. Your budget goes farther when you don't have to pay somebody else to repair, replace or improve sysatems on your boat.

The best part is, you can start today, even without a boat, even without a lot of money. Buy some second hand tools from a pawn shop and take your house/apartment/car apart and put it back together. Learn how to use your tools and the systems you are poking and prodding. Start simple, with the sink trap, for example.
CaptainForce likes this.