Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road
Re: share with me, your words of wisdom

I agree with some of the other comments that have been made already.....First of all, if you have never lived on a boat before and are new to sailing in general, you may want to start off with a less expensive boat. There's no need to spend 6-7K on yr first boat. Also, don't get hung up on particular brands, such as Catalina, or any other brand for that matter. Just because a boat is a particular brand does not ensure that it is structurally sound/seaworthy. Yes, some brands do have better reputations than others as far as quality of construction, but don't rely on that. Each boat being considered needs to be thouroughly inspected bow to stern. Also, in some cases, you may find that "production" boats may lack quality construction. For instance, the thickness of the hull may be less than desirable, keel bolts may have been used (rather than an integrated keel), decks, or even hulls may be cored with materials other than fiberglass (which can result in MAJOR problems if any water has leaked into the cored material). In general, I would suggest looking for a hand laid fiberglass hull that is not cored and has an integrated keel, rather than keel bolts, and solid fiberglass decks, rather than cored. These features are much harder to find on the newer boats and even alot of the older production boats. However, many boats built in the 70s do have thicker, hand laid solid fiberglass hulls, integrated keels, and solid fiberglass decks. You could purchase one of these older boats, which would most likely be a "fixer upper", like you said you wanted, at a very good price. A boat such as this would have structural integrity and you wouldn't have to worry about the possibility of any cores having water damage, resulting in soft decks, or worse, and that can run into many thousands of dollars to repair. I do not want to offend anyone so I will not mention brands of production boats that you should avoid but will say that certain brands of older boats, such as Morgans, Endeavors, & Irwins are known for quality construction. However, the way they are built does make them heavier and slower but if your primary purpose is to live aboard, not race, I would much rather have a sturdy boat that can handle rough seas/storms without a problem than to have a fast boat that I'm scared to take into the ocean. If you are looking for the most space for the length of the boat, Morgans are known to be roomy.
Even a well cared for older boat will most likely need the electronic navagation equipment updated, as some still have LORAN systems, which are now obselete. A simple way to avoid having to worry about all of this is to get a professional survey by a reputable company/individual. Sometimes, depending on where you are, you can get one done for as little as $350 and if it saves you from buying a money pit, it's worth every cent.
If you plan to keep the boat in a wet slip/live in a marina, you do need to find out if that marina requires you to carry boat insurance. Most marinas I've dealt with require a minimum of $300 thousand liability and the cost of boat insurance ranges from $500 up to $2,500 a year, depending on the coverage you select and which company you choose. Another policy I would HIGHLY suggest in either a Tow Boat US or Sea Tow policy. I have Boat US, which costs $150/year and it's the best money I've ever spent. Especially if you're just learning to sail, you will need this policy. For the $150, you get UNLIMITED service, meaning they will tow you to a marina for repairs if needed, bring fuel to you if you run out, jump start your battery, and if you become grounded, they will get you ungrounded, even if it takes hours. Without this policcy, one call to Boat US can run over $1,000 easily.
Some good areas to look for good used boats at reasonable prices are: Oriental, NC, Charleston, SC, Annapolis, MD, and most of Florida (as long as the boat has not been a charter boat). Another way to save money is to have your boat listed as a documented vessel with the Coast Guard. This way you can avoid many of the state renewal and other fees. I hope some of this helps! Remember, these are just my opinions....Consider all advice given to you and then decide for yourself. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
The times I've spent anchored for a few months out in some back country wilderness area, I start out missing the bar and town, then I'm good for a while, then I miss town again. When I get back to town, I miss the wilderness and quiet, then I'm ok for a while, then I can't wait to get back out there again. Round and round it goes.
I saw a recent study that showed people had the greatest joy and happiness just before a vacation compared to during or after the event. We do the same thing as Capt.aaron describes. We are thrilled to be off to the wilderness anchorage and then a couple weeks later we're singing and hooting in the cockpit as we're approaching port. We are excited to start an adventure north in the summer and thrilled to be back in "home waters" for the winter. We love to "cut the cord" after languishing at a marina for the monthly rate, but excited to have the chance to plug into shore power a long time later. 'best to enjoy putting the anchor down as bringing it up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 06-05-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

sailorwench...... thanks thats good advice. i learn new things everytime someone posts a reply.. Boat US sounds awesome. definitely something i will do.. and as for brands built for sturdiness, thanks cuz thats what i need. not a racer.

i wont spend much on a newer boat. it seems unnecessary to buy an extravagant used boat if i will change my mind later on down the road about living aboard. i want one that doesnt need major body work, but things that i could also research about to fix. and do most of it by myself. the cost of monthly liveaboard here is roughly 13 to 15 $a foot.
so ill need to keep my second job in order to have $ to fix it up.
Old 06-06-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

The latest issue of Practical Sailor has a concise section on what to look for on a self survey.
Old 06-06-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Hey jaymckay,

New here as well....enjoy the dream and do it!

Check oiut "Becoming Elizabeth Ann" on You Tube, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
Old 06-08-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

Are you in Jacksonville, FL or Jacksonville, NC because if you are in Florida, I know a guy that runs a marina there who will negotiate the rate with you if I call him. He let me have a monthly slip a few different times for a FLAT rate of $300, which included electric and use of all facilities. Also, the marina had a discount marine supply store right next door and a Publix grocery store within one block. It is a GREAT place to work on a boat! I ended up staying there the first time because I broke a tranny cable coming up the St. John's River and had to wait on parts to arrive.
If you are in Florida, let me know and I can most likely call him and save you some serious money on a slip.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 06-08-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor wench View Post
Are you in Jacksonville, FL or Jacksonville, NC because if you are in Florida, I know a guy that runs a marina there who will negotiate the rate with you if I call him. He let me have a monthly slip a few different times for a FLAT rate of $300, which included electric and use of all facilities. Also, the marina had a discount marine supply store right next door and a Publix grocery store within one block. It is a GREAT place to work on a boat! I ended up staying there the first time because I broke a tranny cable coming up the St. John's River and had to wait on parts to arrive.
If you are in Florida, let me know and I can most likely call him and save you some serious money on a slip.
Thank you so much for the offer, but I'm way north of you in Canada...20 miles north of Buffalo.

That sounds like a great price?

Hope everything goes well for you, I'll watch for updates!

Cheers,

Ron
Old 06-10-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

sailor wench. im in jax florida, and that sounds sick! ill have to let you know when i find the right boat. still workin and savin money!!! as for now ill keep you as a friend on here so i can contact you when the time is needed. gracias amigo
Old 06-11-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor wench View Post

I hope I make it to Florida some day just for that. Sounds great.
Old 07-13-2014
bradyawl

bradyawl is on a distinguished road

JayMcay - I'm in a similar position looking for my first real sailboat..... I sure hope you find your boat, and try the live aboard experience. I don't want to kill the dream, but know that the odds are that someday you will meet someone, and with kids, eventually live on land again - so please do this soon, while you can. I am as guilty as anyone at working hard to find the "right" car/house/thing.. and a couple of years go by and SO MUCH changes, and I am wanting to upgrade because of the education on the first acquisition, and because money changes too. You will be a chef sometime soon, and the income will go way up, as I'm sure you know. Get something reasonable for now, do some work, and upgrade if that time comes. A sound survey, a good sea trial, asking around that marina if others know the boat, and your own experience taken from all this advice on this forum, and you will be fine. Someone here on Sailnet has a great tag line; "Take her out for a sail in the ocean - if anything is gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there". Good Luck!