Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard Commuting to D.C.

My wife and I lived aboard and we both commuted to the DC area , but that was around 20 years ago. The commute was about an hour each way and we shared driving. Port Annapolis allowed live aboards(even had a dock devoted to liveaboards only) and we also lived aboard and commuted from Baltimore area(White Rocks Marina). After leaving the government I worked as a consultant and never did commute to the DC area again, but it required traveling to fly out of BWI. At that time I lived aboard in Solomons and one way rental cars were easy to get to the airport and back. Solomons is one of the best places to live aboard IMHO. Another possibility is over on the eastern shore of MD. While you have the bay bridge to content with, the commute time into DC will not be much different than from Annapolis. Piney Narrows Marina is a good choice on Kent Island and does have some liveaboards and many vacant slips and the price is much less than the Annapolis area. It's a well run marina.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Magothy Marina in Severna Park, MD. There's a commuter bus within a mile of the marina that goes to points in DC and runs about every 15 minutes during morning and evening commute. Magothy M. is a great little marina, spotless heads, good dockage, thriving liveaboard community, 30 minute sail to the Chesapeake. You won't find that in DC! Feel free to PM me for more info.
Old 05-02-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Oh...There are commuter buses that travel to the DC area from Kent Island which would probably be a better option than driving.
Old 05-03-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Oh...There are commuter buses that travel to the DC area from Kent Island which would probably be a better option than driving.
I have taken these commuter buses every weekday for the past 5 years. It is a better option - definitely. I would only say that the commute is a fair bit longer and the bus options are much more limited - if you're on the eastern shore (i.e., Kent Island). In my opinion, from a convenience standpoint, you're much better off staying on the western side. Marinas on the west side are a bit more expensive, but it's worth the $1500 more or so per year you'll pay.
Old 05-21-2012
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road

As many of the replies have stated, very much depends on where you will be working and when you need to be there. Getting to downtown DC is different from uptown, Alexandria, Arlington, or Bethesda. A difference of a couple miles can dramatically change your best route and your secondary options if traffic is blocked. And how flexible is your start time? Do you have wiggle room or must you be in place fully functioning at X hour?

Coming from Baltimore, Annapolis, Deale, is one thing getting underway at 6AM, rather another thing at 7, and a whole big deal more horrendous at 8AM.
Old 05-21-2012

Dread Pirate is on a distinguished road

As mentioned by several, the best option depends greatly on where you will be commuting to, how often and when.

I lived on Back Creek in Annapolis and comutted to Pentagon daily. I planned 90 min each way, but 60min of it was relaxing/reading on metro train.

Another option I considered was Fort Washington, MD. Its just across the bridge from Alexandria, VA. (which was under construction at the time, so I declined) Reasonable rates and choice of two marinas.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 05-29-2012

BlownAway is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice!! The job I was looking at fell through, so I'm still on the search, and don't know exactly where I'll be. I'm certainly hoping for flexible commuting hours and trying to get close to some form of public transportation. I fully expect I won't get a commute that's under an hour, which I'm not happy about, but it's worth it to be on the water. Right?

We would be living aboard year-round. I have seen in the news that D.C. has had some snowy winters here lately. That could be an issue... Get the boat wrapped?
Old 05-30-2012

Dread Pirate is on a distinguished road

This are doesnt receive that much snow, maybe on or two times a year. Few ppl wrap boats that are in the water (but I saw one guy do it so he could work on his deck).

Invest in a small plastic snow shovel (travel size for a car) and a snow brush to keep snow off ur canvas and you will be fine. If we have a real cold winter or you are in a place that water doesnt flow well you may need a bubbler to keep ice from freezing solid. Just ask about it in your marina. But that is the worst of it.

Welcome to the area.

Steve
Old 06-08-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

There is White Point Marina, which is 10 miles up the Potomac, on the VA side, in the Yeocomico River, which is very reasonably priced for this area. (804)472-2977. There is also Point Lookout marina(301)872-5000, 8.5 miles up the Potomac @ Smith Creek. It is also very reasonable for the area. It allows liveaboards year around @ a rate of $10/ft, metered electric, and no liveaboard fee, according to "skipper Bob's marina guide". Near the Solomon's Island area, up the Paxuxent, 4.5 miles to Back Creek, there is Zahniser's Yachting Center (410)326-2166. It has moorings for $40/month, allows liveaboards all year, but is $20/ft. and has a live aboard fee of $90 ( I think applies only to slips; not moorings). These marinas are about as close as you can get to D.C. without paying $700/month or much more for a slip. You would need a car or adequate mass transit, of course, to get to work.
I'm a live aboard also and have been pricing slips in the Annapolis area myself and haven't found anything less than $600/month and I'm a monohull. I wish you luck....I have the names of many more marinas that are closer, but have no idea what they cost. However, I can send you the info. and you could call. Some places are negotiating prices because they have more empty slips this year than usual. However, Annapolis seemed to escape the recession and nothing is discounted. I heard it had a more dramatic effect on D.C., so they may be more willing to work with you on pricing. Let me know if you want the info. I hope this helps!
Old 06-11-2012
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
commuter trains Baltimore to DC

Recently I have been commuting Baltimore to DC by public transportation. Local bus to Penn Station is $1.60. MARC train to DC Union Station is $7. I use DC metro from there.

Return is $7 but then I ride the free Circulator buses most of the way back and then a 10 min walk. I could walk a couple long blocks from Penn and then do a $1.60 bus all the way home instead. regardless, the rates work for me! For full time commuters there are weekly and monthly passes at reduced rates.

MARC runs between Union and Penn from very early morning to late night Monday to Friday. There is additional service on a separate MARC line from Camden Yards to Union Station. I use Penn as the hours and buses work better for me to there.

Rates are good through marinas but better direct to slip owners. Some don't ask & don't make a problem may involved in some arrangements. You can get deals much better than Annapolis, and on floating docks too. Sailing is not as good, nor the water you float on.