Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012

BlownAway is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard Commuting to D.C.

We're looking at moving to the D.C. area for work and need to find a marina within commuting distance of the city. We'll be living aboard a 38 foot catamaran (24 foot beam). Ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Liveaboard Commuting to D.C.

Marinas in Washington, DC are ridiculously overpriced. Here's a quick look at what to expect:

Washington, DC Marinas

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 04-28-2012

BlownAway is on a distinguished road

Thanks. We figure we're going to end up outside of D.C. Gangplank was the only one I knew about in D.C. and that doesn't look like a possibility with essentially having to buy a boat to get a liveaboard slip. Plus the cost! Deale or maybe Annapolis looked like possibilities. I know traffic and pubic transportation options will make a big difference in what is reasonably commutable and what isn't.We're hoping someone familiar with the area will have some insight.
Old 04-28-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

There are some nice liveaboard marinas in Solomons, MD and some in St. Mary's Co. I know some people who drive to Mechanicsville and take a commuter bus into DC. Spring Cove Marina in Solomons is my favorite and there's another behind the Holiday Inn. I think Calvert Marina is the least expensive unless the Beacon Marina is taking liveaboards again. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 04-28-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Liveaboard Commuting to D.C.

First, you're going to have to define what the acceptable commuting distance and time is for you? How far you willing to commute? How much time are you willing to spend in the car? Also, where in DC are you going to be working? Downtown, NW, SW, SE? Virginia or Maryland perhaps?

Marinas around the Magothy and Patapsco are only about 45-60 minutes from areas such as Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Rockville. With the new ICC (MD Rt 200, toll road) maybe even less (the ICC cuts 20 minutes off my commute to Glen Burnie from Rockville, otherwise its about 60 minutes)

If you're working in downtown DC you could look at Annapolis/Severn and the South, West, and/or the Rhode Rivers.

Herrington Harbor area is also a popular choice with lots of marinas, Herrington Harbors Marinas are two of the best of the bay.

Solomons is also worth a look, but may be a bit far to commute?

You may already know this, but the traffic in and around DC, especially during rush hours (think 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM) sucks! The only road that is not jammed is the new ICC = $$$$$ to drive it.

You will probably have better luck finding live aboard marinas around Annapolis? Not certain though.

If I were moving to the general area and wanted to live on a boat and work nearby, I would really consider Baltimore, DC is not much of a sailing/boating town IMO.

Just a couple of thoughts FWIW
Old 04-29-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Annapolis has a lot of liveaboard marinas, definitely could accomodate your beam. 10 minutes from the time you leave your slip until you shut off your engine and you're sailing out on the Bay. There's a commuter bus to downtown D.C., so depending on your work schedule you could take advantage of it - no traffic worries, you could actually spend your drive time doing something useful. And then when you get home, you're in a sailing haven. Slips are a little more expensive than other places, not really a lot, if you look around a bit; try the south side of Back Creek (as soon as you get away from walking distance to downtown, the price drops off).
pdecker likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-29-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Fort Washington, Md
Old 04-29-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The biggest problem with Washington, DC is getting and getting out. The Metro is probably the easiest way to enter and exit the city, followed by commuter bus.

A couple questions come to mind:

Is this a full-time, year round, 9 to 5 job that requires daily, rush hour commutes to DC? Or, can you select the times when you go to town?

If you can select the commuting hours, you may be able to avoid a lot of the I-495 daily gridlock. When I worked for the Washington Post, for example, I only had to come into the office once a week and I was able to work a deal so that I could arrive at 11 a.m. and leave before 3 p.m.. Under those circumstances you can drive a car.

Will you be living aboard during winter? While I know there are people that do live aboard year round in this part of the world, from everything I've read about their experiences it has been somewhat of a nightmare when we have a bad winter with lots of snow and ice.

Just wondering.

Gary
Old 05-02-2012

wouldrathersail is on a distinguished road
As stated above the answer will depend on what is most important to you, close commute to work, access to the bay, Marina amenities (or is anchoring an option), price, etc....there are a LOT of options around this area. FWIW, we live aboard in Annapolis, but I commute to Delaware. for us, the location of the boat and our boating community was most important, otherwise we'd probably be at castle harbor on Kent island.
Old 05-02-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Deale and Annapolis would be your best bets. There is commuter bus service from Annapolis for sure and I think I've seen commuter busses that make runs down towards Solomon's and into DC. No option is going to pick you up at your marina, you're gonna have to drive to the commuter lot. I have co-workers that commute from Naptown and Deale into DC. My commute is about the same distance but I'm on the wrong side of DC to be near the water. Just as good for me as I couldn't handle MD's politics. Ruins a perfectly beautiful State for me.

Anyway, Try Shipwright Harbor as the best bet to allow liveaboards in Deale but Herrington Harbor apparenly allows a few as well.

Good Luck.