Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pitfalls of trading up?

Trading up has been a conundrum for SWMBO and I. We have kicked the fenders on a number of boats that seem perfect on paper, until one actually climbs aboard. Then we realize just how good we have it on our ridiculously pompous and over-equipped 23' boat.
We also really like our slip on our current dock, and going significantly bigger LOA-wise would necessitate moving docks. Our first solution was to buy a second boat to use as a "guest boat." It works, but not real practical. So, our solution is to go WIDER. A catamaran build is now underway. Sorta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Single handling a 30ft wouldn't be a problem at all. I'm on a 32ft boat and she's a breeze to manage. Rolling furling helps, as does self tailing winches. Don't worry on that side of the issue. You may fret a bit over things at first but in no time she'll start to feel like something you can pretty easily man handle around.

Engine maintenance will go up. My current boat has a bear of an engine to get access to. But get something with good engine access and you should be able to do things yourself. CO2 detector is $10 at Walmart.

Rest of the stuff should be pretty similar to your 27ft boat. Winches a little larger, lines a little thicker, sails a little larger, but not terribly different. And if you plan on staying that size for the long term then you can really invest on good long term customization.

My current 32ft boat feels pretty spacious for me. Lots of storage and no complaints there. She's real comfortable. I just wanted to go to 37ft for a larger galley(I'm a cooking fiend) and a sort of 2nd mini cabin area for family staying over with me. I'm hoping that would be my final upgrade.
Old 05-14-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
....A catamaran build is now underway. Sorta.
Do tell!! Details?

We've owned this past boat for nearly 8 years, continually improving things. We moved down from 40 feet, and don't wish to go bigger again, but are looking for newer, more cockpit space and better galley arrangements.

Though we've listed on Craigslist and are doing some fender kicking we won't do the '2 boat program'. We had a great outing this past weekend and I'm very torn about selling her at all, truth be told. I suppose that's a good place to be.. if it doesn't sell we're not really unhappy, if she does then maybe we'll get some of our wishlist items.

And then there's the 'buyers market' situation which doesn't really do one any good if you're on both sides of the transactions...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2012

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I get your point about upgrades. In your position I'd upgrade items that make your sailing and living on the boat more comfortable/easier/enjoyable now. It's your home. Anything can happen in a few years and you may decide on a different path altogether. Upgrades won't increase the value of the boat when you decide to sell, but as a buyer, it says to me that you took care of the boat and didn't neglect it. I'd choose that boat over one with absolutely no improvements since it was built.
This is a very good point. I've been scouting out what it would take to recover the existing cushions. The foam is good but the covers are fugly and worn. And also, getting a decent set of vberth cushions. I contacted catalina and they don't do covers anymore. A new set run in the neighborhood of $3K. I did get the name of a woman who does custom cushions. Even comes out to the boat to measure, etc. Will be talking with her later this week. As for other things. You know, important sailing stuff. Have received opinions from four sailors and they all say my standing and running rigging is fine. And yes, if I did trade up, I could probably work on the engine. I used to rebuild old VW bug engines as a past time back in the day. ;-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Our first solution was to buy a second boat to use as a "guest boat."
This. Actually, I met a couple who advised getting a zodiac or similar for puttering around the estuary. They said they use theirs to go over to Jack London square as well as hitting various yacht club events along the estuary. Another thing I noticed. People use their dinghies, as opposed to footing it on the docks, to visit each other. I've seen situations where a couple will be sitting on the back of their boat, with 3 or 4 dinghies parked around them, visiting, singing, and pretty much having a great time. It's a rather interesting social phenomenon, imo. Anyway, that couple said a dinghy is a must have for short trips to local establishments. I have also toyed with the idea of getting a sailing dinghy. There are a few (RS, open bic, sunfish, that sort of thing) that look quite tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Single handling a 30ft wouldn't be a problem at all. I'm on a 32ft boat and she's a breeze to manage. Rolling furling helps, as does self tailing winches. Don't worry on that side of the issue. You may fret a bit over things at first but in no time she'll start to feel like something you can pretty easily man handle around.
Yeah, my worry comes more from the fact that I really need to learn how to sail first. At which point, I'll have a better idea of what I might want should I decide to trade up.

The idea of trading up, is of course, all pie in the sky, way future. At this time, my setup is comfy. In fact, I just picked up an ENO hammock for lazy in the sun reading days. :-)
Old 05-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
This. Actually, I met a couple who advised getting a zodiac or similar for puttering around the estuary. They said they use theirs to go over to Jack London square as well as hitting various yacht club events along the estuary. Another thing I noticed. People use their dinghies, as opposed to footing it on the docks, to visit each other. I've seen situations where a couple will be sitting on the back of their boat, with 3 or 4 dinghies parked around them, visiting, singing, and pretty much having a great time. It's a rather interesting social phenomenon, imo. Anyway, that couple said a dinghy is a must have for short trips to local establishments. I have also toyed with the idea of getting a sailing dinghy. There are a few (RS, open bic, sunfish, that sort of thing) that look quite tempting.

Eer...sorta.
This is our guest boat;

Our water-getter/beer-runner/OB test bed/ general marina visit buggy is this:
Quack:

Or, if we're feeling athletic, "Chirp":
shadowraiths likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Then there's 'trading different'. There are days when I'd love sailing (specifically racing) to be more physical/kinetic/faster. An F18 cat would be a pile of fun.
Old 05-14-2012

That is something I have considered as well... trading to a better equipped, possibly, newer catalina 27.
Old 05-15-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
A new set run in the neighborhood of $3K.
If the foam is good for $700 you could buy a nice sailrite machine and teach yourself to sew. Just cut the stitching on the old cushions and use the material from that as a template to make new ones.

Then when you trade up you can take the sailrite with you.

This is on my summer project list. I need new curtains and some monitor dodger/bimini work and storage bags. Just cheaper to do it myself and take the skills and machine with me as I move on.
Old 05-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
If the foam is good for $700 you could buy a nice sailrite machine and teach yourself to sew. Just cut the stitching on the old cushions and use the material from that as a template to make new ones.

Then when you trade up you can take the sailrite with you.

This is on my summer project list. I need new curtains and some monitor dodger/bimini work and storage bags. Just cheaper to do it myself and take the skills and machine with me as I move on.
This is a good point. I learned to sew as a teen and even made my spending money designing my own patterns and sewing wedding gowns, etc, so sewing would not be an issue. Another possibility, outside of buying the machine, is that I have a friend who owns a canvas shop and has offered the use of his equipment and wholesale price on materials. I was thinking it would be a pain to haul the cushions over there, since I rely upon public transit. But, duh! I just need to remove he covers and take those.
Old 05-15-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Shadow, I think we are in the same marina. You have quite a dilemma, moving “up” to even a C30 would be a vast improvement in livability. For me, the 27 is too much like car camping to do on the long term (Mrs. B thinks our 34 is “RV Camping”). Your 27 is a little “vintage” and I don’t think that you will get the biggest bang for the buck when doing upgrades (The outboard version isn’t the most desirable here on the Bay.) I don’t think that you will recover the cost of the cushions in a resale. If you are on a budget, keep the upgrades to a minimum and with the thought of transferring them over to the big boat.