Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Has anybody gone the sub £5k route for a liveaboard?

I'll not bore you with the details why but basically I am starting to investigate the possibility of buying a first boat as a full time live-aboard.

Those of you who recognise my username will know that I do have much grander plans for trading up in the future but for now I am looking to start my liveaboard adventures in a different way.

I have found some boats which look OK in the adverts for under £5k
this for for example is listed at £3500

I just wondered if anybody has gone this route of such a low budget boat buy?
Particularly as a live-aboard?

I have only the cat and I to worry about space wise, but a few creature comforts like decent size/pressure head are high priority.

Also any suggestions on models etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Has anybody gone the sub £5k route for a liveaboard?

If you are handy, finding a boat discounted due to a dead engine could be the answer. Do some of the grunt work yourself and pay a pro to the stuff you can't.
Old 05-25-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

There was a 28 foot Westerly here in New York that they were trying to sell for years, and could not, I think they donated it finally. I thought it looked like a tough boat. It was too small for me, as I am willing to only sacrifice so much. But if I bought it at least I would be in the water now! The other thing with a small boat, is the slip fees will be lower.

I would only go for a "dead engine" if it was something I could reasonably rebuild. An Atomic 4 here in the US had good parts availability. I would run from a Volvo, as parts are ridiculously expensive and hard to get here. Some brands can be very expensive even for maintenance parts.
Old 05-25-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I think that converts to about $7,800 US. Though I have not done so, I've some friends who have found 25' to 30' boats in fair shape, but some cosmetic needs well below this cost in the southeast US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 05-29-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

I'm just in the middle of it. I paid a bit more, but bought what should have been a sub 8000$ boat I think. Not sure if it's worth the headache. The biggest problem I've found is that a lot of the work I need to do can't be done while living aboard easily unfortunately. It was supposed to be cosmetic issues only(and the surveyor agreed that they were) but I'm tearing out the failed mast support beam next week I hope.
Across the way from me there's a boat that's currently being lived aboard in reasonable shape overall asking 6000$.
Interior VS exterior comes in to play as well... For example a CS27 costs 10% less per year to moor(and at 20$ a foot that adds up!!), but has way more interior space than my 30', newer boats with less overhang make a big difference IMO. Especially since the Marina goes by listed length in the name, not actual length(so an Alberg 29 would cost me less, despite being within a couple inches in size, both are 29.xx' long.

Those living off the boat repairs add up FAST spending 4000$ extra up front for a boat in good shape, with a modern design and shorter length vs interior space could give save you more than that in the first year, doubly so since you wouldn't need to be paying rent while rebuilding.
Old 05-29-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Ton's of good liveaboards out there for that price.
elspru likes this.
Old 05-30-2012
is Awesome!

I'm in the UK so I don't know how different the markets are, there seem to be quite a few boats for sale at the sub £5k mark ($7,789) but this one (westerly 28) seems to be the best value for money I have found so far...

I haven't been to view it yet, but on the strength of the advert and images it 'appears' to be in sailable condition and I could live-aboard straight away.

It's up at an asking price of £3500 which according to bloomberg is currently $5,452.30

At 1968 build its 10 years older than me! but looks to be in good shape.
Fingers crossed it will still be there in a few weeks time!

Thanks everybody for the feedback, I was just curious if I was likely to be buying a boat load of trouble buying so cheap and indeed if anybody else has gone this route.
Old 05-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

What you pay to buy a boat is never as attention getting as what you pay to own it.

Boats in this price range can have issues that are as costly as the purchase price (sails, standing rigging, running rigging, core moisture, engines, etc).

Be very sure she is in good shape. Most know enough to pretty up a boat, if you want to sell it.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-30-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What you pay to buy a boat is never as attention getting as what you pay to own it.

Boats in this price range can have issues that are as costly as the purchase price (sails, standing rigging, running rigging, core moisture, engines, etc).

Be very sure she is in good shape. Most know enough to pretty up a boat, if you want to sell it.

Good luck.
Thats good advice.
I think it would be foolish to expect to buy something for any less than the one I posted to and expect to be able to liveaboard without issue.

longer term I do want something better but if it serves me as a live-aboard, then my living expenses drop dramatically, I am looking at a full time year round live-aboard. If I am able to do that the savings in living expenses will soon rack up and allow be to buy something newer, bigger, better in 12-18 months time.

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 05-30-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
.....I would run from a Volvo, as parts are ridiculously expensive and hard to get here......
As an aside to the thread, I think this is mostly a myth. Some parts may be a little more expensive, but not ridiculously. Maybe 10%, in my experience. Compare a discount Yanmar dealer to a full price Volvo dealer and the spread may widen, but vice versa and it may go away entirely. I buy all parts for my 100hp Volvo over the internet from a US supplier and they arrive within 2 days. Never a problem sourcing a part.

The only meaningful difference is that you are unlikely to find a supply of Volvo oil filters, or other consumables, at the local chandlery, like you might find for Yanmars.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.