Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!

Ed, IMO it''s pretty tough to easily generalize about what the used boat marketplace can provide you. Instead, I''d suggest you plan on rolling up your sleeves and plan a lengthy visit or two in coastal areas - either before you move or after - finding out what is offered at the time you are looking. Real estate ads come to mind when I think of boat listings...

But I would like to challenge a couple of specifics on your ''what I want'' list. First, I don''t think it makes a lot of sense to put a certain electronics inventory on your ''must have'' A list. These days electronics are relatively cheap, interfacing issues (and therefore compatibility) is important, it''s easy to find you have more than you might need as you start out, and you''ll be looking at upgrade paths if your cruising takes you incrementally further from home. For all those reasons, whatever any boat might have will most likely need to be tweaked by you anyway. When you look at adding an HVAC system (for Florida), a robust, liveaboard DC electrical system, or just replacing the cushions & foam that you''ll be living with 24/7, a full suite of new electronics won''t seem hugely expensive by comparison...so I suggest you not make it part of your A list of priorities.

The other challenge has to do with refrigeration. If you do choose Florida (and potentially the islands) as your initial cruising grounds - as opposed e.g. to the Northwest or Great Lakes - then the reliability and efficiency of your reefer system could potentially have more impact on your lifestyle afloat (amount of battery charging and therefore engine servicing, storage room for desired amp/hr capacity, repair history) than any other single system. OTOH you''ll often find boats being offered with simple evaporator bin-type DC systems that require lots of amps but of course are easy to live with when one keeps the BYC (Big Yellow Cord) plugged in. As with electronics, you may well find that whatever the other attributes of a given boat, the reefer (and it''s box construction) won''t measure up to the demands of a long-term liveaboard lifestyle in a sub-tropical climate. It''s great that you posted your vocational info for us to see and you''re absolutely right - those trade skills will come in mighty handy to all the other boats in your anchorages <g>...and you, too. I''d just suggest that you might find the reefer is also one of those change-out activities that, sooner or later, will be unavoidable, and therefore might lie a bit lower on your ''A'' list, as well.

Good luck on the adventure. It''s a blast!

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2004
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road

Best of luck Ed. The best advice I''ve seen is to down-size incramentally, and over an extended periond. Start making the transition now, in AZ. Have a couple of garage sales before you retire. Sell the house before you retire. Move into a studio appartment. Get use to living small.

And think through everything you''re going to give up. Do your children visit during the holidays? Do you (or will you) have grand children? What are you and your wife going to do with all the free time? And if this all works perfactly, what''s your exit stratagy-how do you move back on shore with a big chunk (maybe all)of your assets tied up in the boat?

My wife & I ran into an older (mid 70s) couple in Baha. After he retired from the Merchant Marine as a captain of large fraighters, and she retired as an RN, both having good retirement plans, it was time for them to move back to shore life. They had been cruising for about 15 years. They had lived the cruisers life, and my wife & I were truely inspired by their live aboard lifestyle. But they were really concerned about reintegrating. In the 15 years they''d been cruising, most of it outside the US, I wounder how much the cost of living had gone up. Their boat might have lost 50% of its original value, while at the same time, a home might double or tripple in price. I''m not throwing cold water on your plan, just sprinkling a little around. But if we ever moved away from San Diego, I don''t think we could ever afford to move back. I know I could live in a camper on the back of a pick-up; most men can. And that''s about all I''d have if I ever told my wife that we''re not only moving to a different state, but that she has to sell/giveaway all her ''stuff'' and live in a space smaller than a 22'' travel trailer. Of course, only you & your bride can know what''s right for you. So live the dream, but be sure to lower the ladder before you jump in the water.

Old 01-09-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road

One last thought about living aboard. You mentioned living aboard instead of cruising. We plan to cruise. But for living aboard a sailboat is a poor choice... We have met several people who live aboard houseboats. These houseboats are about the size of a double wide house trailer. One guy ran his business out of his. These boats have all the comforts and are a way to see a lot of protected water. We love sailing and want to cruise so a houseboat is not an option. But we are 50 when we are 65 we may decide a houseboat is perfect. A trawler is another option if you want to cross some blue water. I met a family in Texas that had lived aboard for several years. They had cruised the islands and gulf coasts. He said that he had enough range to go to europe if he wanted. But a trawler won''t have the comforts of a large houseboat.
Old 01-23-2004

captchetco is on a distinguished road

"Liveaboard Report" has some interesting stats
Old 01-23-2004

Never buy a large boat without a comptenent Marine Surveyor. Best to get random recommedations from a web site such as this, rather than use the one recommended by the selling broker.
Old 01-23-2004

Never buy a large boat without a comptenent Marine Surveyor. Best to get random recommedations from a web site such as this, rather than use the one recommended by the selling broker.