Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about liveaboard/anchoring regulations

I also think we intimidate the townies with our free spirit and self sufficiancy. We are doing something they don't understand. When I was a bar tender in K.W. I was constantly explaining to suburbanites how I lived on the hook and they just could'nt wrap their head around it. It's fun to stand at the dingy dock and listen to tourists try and figure out where everyones going in their little boats. And as I said, These semi-retired people pay a mil. plus for the thousand dollar veiw and don't want to see popeye out there rowing home to his little live aboard. And law makers listen to home owner associations. Money doesn't just talk, it won't shut up!
Dean101 likes this.
Old 06-24-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Well. Fortunately...the cities/municiplaties always end up pissing off some guy in a nice boat with some money in the bank who ain't afraid to lawyer up and whatever regulation ordinance that "got passed' locally usually goes by the wayside pretty quick..I seen it happen in Naples and Sarasota and in Bradenton...I appreciate those guys...I also appreciate Southwinds and Seven Seas Crusing ASSN and some of the higher-ups at Boat US I think also knows the score as well and probably help things to not get carried away...but on the whole things are going to continue to get tougher for boaters on a budget in Florida I have a feeling...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

It's all about keeping it together. Keep your boat looking like it's ready to sail. bottom clean, move every couple of week's. Anchor light, proper head set up, current reg. I know I can get to where I start looking like an f'n Gypsy with my shade tarps and three diff kind's of dingy hanging off the back if I stay too long in one spot. Now a day's I look like I just got there and I'm ready to leave any min. It's kept the fuzz of my back.
Old 06-25-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

It's good to know that there are groups that make an effort to keep things in check. It's kind of shocking to me that a state like Florida hasn't set some sort of standard in dealing with these sorts of problems. I'm from Kentucky and when I hear "Florida" I think "beaches and boats"!

How about other places around the world?
Old 06-25-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
It's all about keeping it together. Keep your boat looking like it's ready to sail. bottom clean, move every couple of week's. Anchor light, proper head set up, current reg. I know I can get to where I start looking like an f'n Gypsy with my shade tarps and three diff kind's of dingy hanging off the back if I stay too long in one spot. Now a day's I look like I just got there and I'm ready to leave any min. It's kept the fuzz of my back.
Great point. Appearances can say alot, even if it isn't true.
Old 06-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I agree with all of the above Aaron but I'd have to say that clean boat/current reg./anchor light but especially "move every couple of weeks" is probably the best way to avoid any "Imperial entanglements"....I do the best I can and have kept three boats in the same spot for 3-4 years in Sarasota bay...I have been fined once for no anchor light...and forced to move once when I allowed my boat to get too close to some residences when there was a 300 foot ordinance(that ordinance got canned a while back....for now)...but I am learning...got lucky once when the boat slid a few hundred yards...when I did not have enough ground tackle...It is a learning curve especially when you don't live on the boat but I live very close by...It's the only way I could have gotten to this juncture..Now I have a 40-footer and I have learned alot along the way where I am cautiously confident in my abilities to keep her and myself out of trouble...

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-25-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
It's good to know that there are groups that make an effort to keep things in check. It's kind of shocking to me that a state like Florida hasn't set some sort of standard in dealing with these sorts of problems. I'm from Kentucky and when I hear "Florida" I think "beaches and boats"!

How about other places around the world?
Nobody has ever bothered us offshore. The 3rd world is much more amenable to boats at anchor. Best thing is that if we or they don't like us, we can always move. Mostly friendly curious natives. Sound like time for you to move on.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-27-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Nobody has ever bothered us offshore. The 3rd world is much more amenable to boats at anchor. Best thing is that if we or they don't like us, we can always move. Mostly friendly curious natives. Sound like time for you to move on.....
You have no idea! That statement has been running through my head for the last year and a half. I'm working on paying off all my debt right now. Crappy time to sell a house but I'm working on that also. A couple more years and I will definitely be moving on. I'll need to get some experience first but I WILL be moving on...
Old 06-27-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Enjoy the process of getting out here, it is worth it! It will happen sooner then you think. I always remember some advice from on of my cruising mentors many years ago:
he said:
How bad do you want it?
How hard will you work to get it?
What will you give up to get it?

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-28-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Enjoy the process of getting out here, it is worth it! It will happen sooner then you think. I always remember some advice from on of my cruising mentors many years ago:
he said:
How bad do you want it?
How hard will you work to get it?
What will you give up to get it?

Good luck!
Thats a great set of questions! I want it bad enough that i'm selling my house and most everything else, buying a camper to live in while I follow the high paying jobs to pay off all my debt and save for my boat. What do you think? Is that bad enough? I'm keeping my eye on the prize!